roofman likes this.
  3. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

long balls

grim_d likes this.
  4. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Seeing we are far off message
    Hudson Hornets powered by 308 CU F head 6 cylinders dominating V8s. NASCAR Champions 3 years straight, 1952, 53, 54.

check 3: 50

5. zx9

zx9 Member

And I thought F1 was dangerous back in those days.:o

ronan and 500e like this.
  6. Richard T New Member

OK OK.. we do seem to have come quite a long way off topic. So how about climbing back on with some more thoughts ?

Here's the bearing, split :

bearings1.jpg
    The pound coin is in there for scale. Since the bearing is likely the original one, I'd like to replace it - ones of the right size are available (it's an imperial-sized one). But :

The two halves of the bearing look a pig to remove. The inner one is flush against the crank, and there's very little to pull on ; the outer race I could probably press out but given the relatively small casting it's in, I'm scared of cracking that. What does the panel suggest ? Heat, maybe, for the outer one, and lots of care ? custom-made thing with a slot in it to go over the inner one ? Thought I would collect opinions before piling in...

• bearings1.jpg
  7. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Nick it with a thin cutting disk, then split it with a cold chisel, the race is brittle and should just crack, just be careful not to touch the crank,

8. Turbo Member

I think his brother was responsible! :D

9. Turbo Member

Press the outer one out using a suitable drift & some tube the correct size. Best source is a decent socket set for both items. Or you could run a seam of weld around the inside & it will probably drop out!

10. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Have you sourced a new bearing before you destroy the old one ?

brightspark and mtt.tr like this.
  11. brightspark

brightspark Member

is the bearing knacked :dontknow:

ronan likes this.
  12. andymfell Member

13. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    zx9 and brightspark like this.
  14. Richard T New Member

I can get a replacement bearing - I am wondering if it's worth doing the replacement, but the track of the balls on the outer race is very visible and there's some pitting. It seems pretty hard to feel how much runout there is in bearings of this type. I did consider just getting a replacement set of balls (Jeez, it's impossible to discuss this stuff without innuendo, isn't it ? I do sometimes wonder how bearing factories managed to survive and make money without spending half their working hours making schoolboy jokes and giggling over questionable phrases in statements of work, or desperately trying to keep a straight face while reading out design proposals with women in the room) and putting them into the cage, but I'm also doing this for the experience/enjoyment/fun/learning, so that makes me err on the side of "do it".
    20201007_103414.jpg
    Thanks for all the input by the way.

15. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Wrong thread

16. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

The outer race is on its way out.

DAPPH and ronan like this.
  17. DAPPH

DAPPH as dyslexik as I'm daft

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    It's a fair bet that the bearing has been a shrink fit .

18. badabec

badabec Forum Supporter

As mentioned before, run a seam of weld inside the track, that should shrink it enough to come out. Or weld a bar across it and drift it out over a suitable support.

19. Richard T New Member

I'm intrigued by the 'run a seam of weld' option. Never come across that before (and I don't have a welder, although it's something I want to learn so am looking for some good hands-on tuition, reachable from Surrey-ish area...). I would have thought the heat would expand the bearing, which is the opposite of what you want. Is it that the seam contracts when it cools and pulls/shrinks the bearing race with it ?

I'm going to have a go at pressing the bearing out this weekend, I'll report back !

20. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Running a bead around the inside of a race is a very common method of removing a bearing, you need a steady hand though if using stick, I've seen a bearing accidentally tack welded in on more than one occasion, you only really need three or four short runs spaced around it, what it does is initially expand, then when it cools it shrinks the race, done correctly they just fall out, no hammering needed.

Advertisements