1999 Tacoma-rust repair...fixing bodges!

1. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Dcal, what a great write up!

thanks very much for this. Luckily, I am only prepping this to the initial stages of filler and then taking it to my buddy's body shop for final filler/primer/painting. I just dont have the facility here to make it happen. (nor do I have SWMBO's permission to stink up the house any further!)

I am happy to say that I have been checking with different straight edges of different materials to check as I go so things dont get away from me. Sanding in different directions and refreshing sanding material have been my good friend so far, too.

I am very glad in hindsight that I was careful with the replacement panels, ect. I did make a few small fitment mistakes, but they were correctable. I may have one or two slightly raised areas, but they are so slight, Im not sure if they truly are raised or I just have not feathered the filler enough yet. (a little tap tap shrink shrink would probably take care if them, but I may not need to...fingers crossed)

The amateur part of this can be frustrating and equally rewarding at the same time! Keeping an even keel and taking one's time is essential. When I remember to do that everything is fine!

;)

thanks again, Dcal

JP

2. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Final details continued!

Bumper went back on after rust treating the brackets, ect....man is it messy with undercoating under there...I had to clean all my tools after installation.....

[​IMG]

And the body work is starting to look like something!...Kept plugging away at it today.

[​IMG]

I was able to get some definition back into the fender lip. Its a subtle feature (hidden by the fender flares, of course) but it is there, for sure. Getting it right means the seal around the flares seals well....

I used a compass to draw in the dimension for the lip

[​IMG]

and on the other side...roughed in

[​IMG]

The flares have been spot putty'd and painted satin black. The hard part was taping the bonded to the flare rubber seal back away from the surface so I could repair/repaint them cleanly...just taping them in place was not working well...so I had to clean inside the lip of the seal, tape there and fold it up and out of the way.

tomorrow, Ill finish up the bondo, get some primer and temporary paint on there and button things up.

thanks for looking!

JP

3. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So the truck was picked up today by my buddy Paul and it was with mixed emotions for me to see it pulling out of the driveway.
    Cant believe it was 3 months ago that we started this project!...Thats a long time to paint some fender flares.

We still need to coordinate with the body shop in a few weeks to finish up the final body work and get it painted.

I don't think I left too much work for the body shop....I'm happy with the results. Its maddening and therapeutic all at the same time! I think I went 6 rounds with the bondo and 3 with the bondo glass.

anyhoo...here are the last pics for a while...I used some all purpose primer and flat black paint as it will all be sanded back down for final prep, then the real stuff can go on....

last application of bondo!

[​IMG]

and some flat black paint. Its a nice color as it does not stand out much against the green paint. its tolerable for a couple of weeks until its painted for good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the fender flares are done too...They had taken quite a bit of abuse from road debris and whatnot...so required several applications of spot putty...but they look nice now.

[​IMG]

sorry for the crappy photos tonight...not sure what the deal is with this phone...sometimes it takes good pics, other times....not so much....

thanks for looking!

JP

4. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Back :offtopic: briefly, if you'll permit. :ashamed: Did your storm materialise? The Irish met office have detected an incoming storm sufficiently severe to warrant according it name - generally regarded as bad enough to issue official warnings. It's already 'feeling like snow here - the frost has gone & it's been unseasonaly 'warm' here for a couple of days, by that I mean something like 5 - even 10c above freezing...mhhh somethings 'afoot' :rolleyes:.
    That would fit perfectly with my 7-10 day arrivals here predictions. :(

5. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    off topic, no problem.

In some parts of the east it materialized in a big way. more than 3' of snow, but in other parts, like our area, 2 inches at most...there were many bands of heavy snow that moved through. if you were in one, you got hit pretty hard!

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Well, it's due to arrive with us about Wed coming, then. When the met forecasts feel it necessary to accord storms a human name, it's never a good sign.

Time to hunker down for the duration.....:(

7. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Progress continues with some professional work at my friends body shop. I was able to pitch in and help with sanding and preparation, masking, ect. Its good to be in that environment and see how the pros make things happen.

The temporary paint was removed and sanded back to the filler. My buddies Pete and Paul worked their magic on the final skim coat of polyester and primer and it looked better and better as the day went on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

high build primer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally ready for the booth with some masking and seal coat. Its a durable coat of primer that is resistant to corrosion and the elements.

[​IMG]

I cleaned it with prep all, then cleaned it again, then again, and finally once in the booth, cleaned it again!

[​IMG]

all so that the good stuff could go on.

[​IMG]

it will sit over the weekend, then get some color. I was offered to try my hand at applying the color, but passed on it...Ill stick to painting smaller stuff!

pretty excited about the finished product!

JP

8. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Spending the day there today was a real learning experience. I prepped a few hoods, fenders and doors while my buddy painted and cleared the Toyota. You cant just paint the parts when they come in. they need to be prepped, cleaned, sometimes fixed or returned, ect, ect. Getting them to fit on the vehicle with acceptable panel gaps is also another issue...

I did relearn how to use a good DA sander, watch the pros at work, and see the results of using a good paint booth.

I also went and got lunch at the market down the road. Whatever they needed!

Color goes on, then the clear. Once the booth went through its computer controlled drying cycles, we were able to open the doors and check out the results. I am very pleased.

I was the "flatter backer" and got the fender sides looking nice and smooth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The roof needed very little flatting back for some reason.

[​IMG]

Tail gate came up great too.

[​IMG]

What a milestone!...tomorrow, we buff and polish and reassemble the parts!

thanks for looking

JP

9. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Happy New Year everyone!

Truck is done for now until the Springtime when we put the graphics back on the bedsides. An application of glazing magically removed any minor swirls left from the buffing process. I moved it outside to give it a bath and took a few pics.

[​IMG]

I was a little nervous when fitting the flares back in place, but apart from having to massage one of the bolt holes, they went right in, fit tight and look good....

[​IMG]

the tailgate needed a bushing....

[​IMG]

and outside

[​IMG]

this could be a favorite shot

[​IMG]

thanks for all the support and good wishes.

JP

HopefullySoon, Ton-up, Dcal and 6 others like this.
Advertisements