1999 Tacoma-rust repair...fixing bodges!

1. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    Ace hardware?

jpmillermatic likes this.
  2. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I was impressed that they had 3 grades of hardware...yes, ACE.....nailed it...this one cares with up to grade 8 hardware...and in metric! I didnt need that for this application, but its good to know they have it in a pinch...

JP

3. atomant48

atomant48 Member

Salisbury UK
    Yes I was in one in Seattle recently looking for a bbq smoker box (which they didn’t have) but I did walk down all the isles and noticed the floor to ceiling fasteners section. Was pretty impressed. I think they had stainless as well. I remember thinking there’s no way they make money from that but I guess when someone needs a fixing on a Sunday afternoon they know where to go and probably buy something else as well.

I ended up buying a 0.75c white crayon pencil which hasn’t been as useful as I hoped .....

4. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I know what you mean. I recently bought a soapstone pencil for marking steel, but tend to like markers, scoring tools or a grease pencil better....so far, anyway...

Evercoat seam sealer and stranded bondo showed up today.......looking forward to putting it to good use!

[​IMG]

Back on the truck Friday!....

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I decided to use the heavier steel for the patches on the inside wall of the frame......here they are ready to weld in. I treated the inside of the frame as much as possible and need to wait for that to cure a bit...so hopefully, Ill have these babies welded in tomorrow!

[​IMG]

While I was waiting, I cleaned up the drive shaft and gave it a few coats of satin black....

[​IMG]

and started cleaning up the other brake drum. The lug nuts are pretty toasty, although they work just fine, Ill see if they are an expensive item as it would be worth replacing them....

[​IMG]

You can see the before and after (wire wheeling)...No idea if the plating is still on there, but I'm gonna guess its long gone!

thanks for looking

JP

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

It would seem to spoil such a good job for all those'd cost - are you aware of the saying "Don't spoil the ship for a ha'pworth of tar" ? ;)

fixerupper and jpmillermatic like this.
  7. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    I agree!...I have not heard that one yet, Slim, but it sure makes sense.

With the rust treatment and paint dry inside the frame, I was able to start repairs on the final frame repair!

Heres the first patch in place and ready for welding

[​IMG]

and after both pieces are in. I still have to clean up the welds, and I added another bead of welds to a few areas, and patched a few pin holes.

[​IMG]

Cleaned up and rust treated. primer is galvanizing...I dont think I can have too many layers of paint for this part of the project......

[​IMG]

Honestly, I did keep welding until I was comfortable I had good strength, no pin holes, and reasonably clean weld beads after clean up. I did use some weld beads a bit like filler, but like the idea of smooth metal in this area as opposed to using seam sealer or bondo-glass. Purists can chime in....Its just what I decided to do.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and finally, the crossmember went back in!...Folks, I had to round off all the edges just to get it to fit back in its home...it was that close...and I had to go into full patience mode with a small rubber mallet, tapping first one side, then the other, then the first side, then the other......I did not want to wail on it, or deform it, nor did I want to cut one of the ears off to get it to fit...its in such nice shape....

[​IMG]

and here it is, in place. I also got the brake valve back in and the wiring harness back in rough placement...I think this is what forward progress feels like!?!
    I had to do nothing to the crossmember, save for painting the ends after modifications....

[​IMG]

I have one more gusset to weld in, then the gas tank and skid plate can go back in...lastly, with repairs, anyway, the differential locker actuator will need to be tested and installed....hopefully tomorrow!

Thanks for looking

JP

8. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So, as planned, I was able to get the LAST gusset welded in on the passenger side just behind the shock mount....

[​IMG]

and of course get the only unintentional run in the primer coat so far!...ah well...I would call this over engineered a bit..I used thick plate, plus seam welded the whole thing in place AND added 4 plug welds...I did add a weep hole at the last minute as I had forgotten to provide one while making the bracket....

[​IMG]

With that done, the gas tank could go in! SWMBO helped me maneuver the tank in place, lifting one side then the other until I could get a jack and board under it. The rubber strips had helpful witness marks on them from the old crossmember....

[​IMG]

I'm glad I bought more bolts than I needed for the other assemblies, as I used 4 new bolts, which I cut to various lengths due to possible fitment issues. Specifically, the gas tank skid plate needed short bolts to go through the rear holes and into the tank strap. If the bolts were too long, they would have run into the tank....same for the e-brake cable mount....

Skid plate in place

[​IMG]

and a cool shot of the tank strap, e brake bracket, and skid plate through the frame...

[​IMG]

Then it was time for the diff locker actuator to be hooked up and made ready for testing...but I was running out of daylight, and the lawn needed attention as did the leaf and pine needle laden pool cover which also had way too much water on it and was beginning to strain the cover's grommet rings.....so, Ill save the testing for tomorrow....

[​IMG]

And, for a bit of fun, I sanded, primed and painted the hub caps silver and threw some clear coat on them....Should look pretty good with new lug nuts.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and thats about it for today....

thanks for looking

JP

jsf55, dobbslc, Cobbler and 2 others like this.
  9. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Excellent work as always JP....that gusset isn't going anywhere I think :laughing:

10. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    thanks, PD2!....yeah, got a little carried away, eh?

;)

Today was a milestone...Cleared the codes, got the diff locker working after a little bit of research. ( on this truck, it needs to be in 4 low to engage. all the grounds were solid, fuses good, battery good, ect) The gas tank has no leaks, the diff locker mounted up good with no leaks and operated as it was designed.

[​IMG]

I was finally able to move the truck again under its own power and turned it around just because I could.....

[​IMG]

and gave the rear axle and a few other accessories the once over with rust converter, primer and paint...Its finally looking good under there!

[​IMG]

Then I lifted the bed up a little higher on the lift to get reacquainted with my priorities and exit strategy!....I'm planning on buttoning up the passenger side by filling in a few pin holes, tightening up a weld bead or two, and generally being totally done with that side save for some body filler.....then move on to the other side.

I did put on order a couple of brackets for the rear mud flaps, began patching the muffler heat shield (will be riveted) and generally planning the whole rest of the project....

its getting there!

thanks for looking

JP

11. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    So today's job was to get a frame built so I could stand the bed up on its end for sand blasting. I had some spare lumber in the shed and had just enough to get it built...free of course.

I was able to put 2 runners under the bed and use the bed mounting bolts to secure it in place. In order to get the bolts through the lumber, I needed to drill four 3/4" holes, but soon discovered I would need to countersink the holes a bit for the bolts to reach through. I also soon discovered that I would need to to enlarge the countersunk part larger than any bit that I had...at least any modern bit. So I looked through my stash of old wood bits that were my dads and his dads...and soon found an adjustable wood boring drill that fits in an old style wood workers hand drill. (brace?)

So old school meets new school....(I popped the smaller bits in my 1/4" impact drill....)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I measured the stick out of the lumber so that when the uprights were screwed in place, with another set of 2x4s behind them, they would rest against the front of the bed...

[​IMG]

I imagined lifting the bed onto the uprights and saw a weak point in the design. there are only 2 screws per side holding them to the runners underneath and this would stress that join and perhaps tear the screws out of the lumber. So I braced the unit with tie downs attached to the load hooks at the back of the bed...

[​IMG]

that really firmed things up so its ready to go.

While cleaning up the weld beads and filling in a few pin holes, I found some pretty thin metal towards the front of my inner bed floor repair...so decided add a few more patches. it was worth it in the end...welding to solid metal as opposed to blowing holes in rusty metal is always so much more rewarding!

[​IMG]

and finished up...Now I can prime and seam seal this area....still moving forward! yeah!

[​IMG]

I'm borrowing a bigger compressor and the sand blaster this week!

thanks for looking

JP

12. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    a small update as I only got a short time to actually do something on the truck today....I rust converted the repair area in the bed floor...Ill fix a few pin holes, but other than that, this area is done!

[​IMG]

thanks for looking

JP

13. arther dailey Member

Wow, that truck must be truly loved to put that much work into it , worthwhile though if its a favorite eh. nice work

14. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Thanks very much, Arther. I appreciate that...yes, its a much loved "cousin" to my 2000 Dakota. Both truck are from the same era, both are nearly the same green with silver accents, and have had work done to them continually...sort of a part of the family if you will...

Got a bit more done after work today....

I raised the bed up as high as my lift would go....which is only about 55" or so....and needed to come up with a more comfortable way to move around under there. I present my new office for a while!
    I found a nice chair (re: nicer than the old one seen in this pic) that was being discarded at a local furniture store and scored a nice free chair out of the deal for the wife's computer desk.....so I could use this uncomfortable and torn one out in the garage..... (let me tell you, its far more comfortable than NOT having a chair to rest my neck against!)

[​IMG]

I used a knot wheel on the grinder to persuade the rust around the bed floor repair to take a powder (literally) and got a bit carried away ( considering Ill have a sandblaster this weekend) and curious to see what it would do on the rusty floor under there. I was able to get a whole section cleaned up in about an hour. The only areas it could not reach are close to the cross supports and of course under them.....

The area ahead of the lights is now done!

[​IMG]

and rust converted

[​IMG]

The floor repair area. it definitely grew during the project...but I'm happy now that I have gotten to all the rust. It looks as though it simply ran along a spot welded seam where the seam sealer had failed, and then rusted. The previous repair was not done well and was just bondo over rust, so the hole grew and grew! But no more!

[​IMG]

So bear with me on this next pic...its not looking pretty quite yet...but I still have to weld the bottom side all the way around it. I have done the top seam twice and am happy with it now, so its just a ton of clean up on the bottom side here....

[​IMG]

Ill get there in the end!

thanks for looking

JP

Gragson, jsf55 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    More progress on the underside of the bed floor. I am up to one of those satisfying little jobs which is to put a floor support piece back on the truck that was one of the first things to get cut off the truck!....

[​IMG]

The floor patch, though now solid and pin hole free, was a real comedy show welding from underneath in my new comfy chair...but it was not so comfy. burned my foot, then the back of my neck, then through my pants.....oh, was I laughing... So, heres the comedy part, as if the first part was not funny enough, I got so fed up trying different things, and all of them caught fire, so resorted to a big sheet of galvanized metal to lay over my front side. I was able to hook the bottom edge on the top of my foot, which of course, cramped up eventually from me trying to keep the metal sheet in place, and kept dropping the wire brush on the sheet along with the welding pliers about 100 times.

laughter dies down.

So, is there a version of Murphy that heaps humility on you? some ancient god? (or probably more likely a goddess)

I'm well humbled and also have a new shopping list. welding neck guard material, and a pair of welding chaps or something similar.

heh, heh....laughing at it now...but not then.

got another section of floor cleaned up and rust treated

[​IMG]

and in this pic...brackets that need to go back under the floor. left is a heat shield repair patch. middle are two mud flap brackets that we ordered from Toyota. the metal is SO much thicker than the old rusty ones. its incredible the difference. 20 years of corrosion really takes it toll. Right brackets are heat shield brackets...they are TOAST!...Ill make them out of thicker sheet and practice welding captive nuts in place on the back side of them. old ones are paper thin...

[​IMG]

Its a balmy 36 degrees (f) here today...so I get the message, Mother Nature....Im hurrying!

thanks for looking

JP

arther dailey, slim_boy_fat and jsf55 like this.
  16. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Continuing on the floor repairs and related brackets. I decided to cut another piece out of the floor on the inside edge of the repair as I was fighting pinholes to a frustrating level. So out came the grinder again. So glad I did...no more weak metal and much nicer welds!

[​IMG]

and in the bracket department, I was able to use some fender patch metal to shape the new heat shield brackets. I flattened one of the old ones which revealed many pinholes. I traced the shape, measured the bends, and drilled some holes for plug welds and the captive nuts.

[​IMG]

it worked quite well. I made some bends with a pair of pliers around the edges to copy the old brackets and it does give them some strength. The captive nuts went well, even though I welded the first one on the wrong side!

[​IMG]

It does not look like a lot of work, but it all took most of the day....Still moving forward!

[​IMG]

JP

slim_boy_fat and Seadog like this.
  17. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Thanks, RK!

Today consisted of reorganizing the shop and getting ready for sandblasting. I needed the dolly out from under my dakota truck bed so tilted that up on end, cleaned that bay out to get it ready for the Tacoma bed. But before I could do that, I had to hang the roof box off the passat wagon back up on the ceiling as I'm done with it for a while. So I could get my bigger bay back for a while I decided that the small bay would be a good spot to finish up the Tacoma bed....

[​IMG]

It was really uneventful and unexciting lowering the bed onto the dolly....somehow, but luck alone, the frame of the dolly matched up perfectly with the runners under the bed.... [​IMG]

How did it go, you ask, tilting the bed up on end by myself?...well, I rolled it into position and and lifted it onto the runner extensions which touched down nicely. No cracking lumber so I lifted some more until it was on its way up. The only surprise was when the dolly wanted to slide out from under the tilting bed as I was lifting it...

[​IMG]

I cleaned all the debris off the dolly, which was pretty much a catch all for everything I didnt know what to do with for the last year and took some time cleaning and organizing...

[​IMG]

Then "Q" from "Q Branch" brought me a little attache case with perhaps the latest tech to add to the Toyota...bumper mounted machine guns, maybe. A cool zip line watch?...

[​IMG]

But, alas, it was just some cleaned and painted parts.....

[​IMG]

I think that brief case was my dads from the 70's...He was not a secret agent.

anyway, it felt good to get the garage cleaned up. I brought my wagon in for an oil change, some front brake and rotor painting for the winter months which are hard on those components, and swapped out my good wheels for the winter ones....Now I can check those items off the list!

thanks for looking!

JP

slim_boy_fat, jsf55 and Cobbler like this.
  18. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    Today was a bit odd in that it felt like I didnt get much done, but am now prepared to start sand blasting...I did get another section of floor cleaned up with the knot wheel on the grinder, but half way through that, the grinder began slowing down until it just plain stopped!...I did take it apart to see if I could fix it, but the brushes are toast! Rather than wait to order a new set or track some down, I went to our somewhat local Harbor Freight and picked up a new one.

[​IMG]

I also picked up more cutting discs, another knot wheel, some rust treatment, undercoating and truck bed spray on material.
    But the big deal is what you see here, a new sandblast unit!...it was on sale, and I had my 20% off coupon...back in business. With my buddy's large compressor, which is now here, I should be all set.

[​IMG]

Media for the machine is far cheaper at Tractor Supply, so thats where I sourced this stuff...

[​IMG]

So now I have only the tricky parts of the bed floor to get to...and with the sandblaster, it should go well.

thanks for looking

JP

arther dailey and slim_boy_fat like this.
  19. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    A bit more done after work today.....

The cross member section that I had to remove early on in this project was finally able to go back in place tonight. I patched all the pin holes in the floor repair, primed and painted it. This area is now done save for the seam sealer and final painting.

[​IMG]

I also used some crate wood that I got at work and recovered the dolly. The old floor was toast!

[​IMG]

the weather should cooperate tomorrow so I have some sandblasting planned.....

thanks for looking

JP

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY
    The weather did not cooperate today for blasting so I pressed on with other repairs. started with giving the frame its final protective coating. a rubberized undercoating to help keep chemicals and moisture out of the frame channels and other areas. I will be spraying cavity wax in all the areas prone to rusting.

[​IMG]

and made the quickest repair to date on a fairly complex (for me) shaped area right behind the rear wheel arch on the inside fender. I knew this area might be fairly big, but excavating the bedliner material revealed a 12" wide rot hole....this of course was made worse by previous repairs filling in over rotten metal...

Heres the affected area (Didnt see the motorcycle in the background until I posted the picture here just now!)

[​IMG]

You can see the frame cross member under the floor needed fixing too...so the rust was a couple of layers deep. Here is the area from inside the fender well

[​IMG]

I patched the cross member

[​IMG]

and began shaping the repair piece. its a sort of bowl shaped piece on the right with two raised section to finish the ends of the ribs in the floor on the left....

[​IMG]

Here it is taking shape and with plug weld holes ready to go

[​IMG]

it took a little doing to get the shape right, but patience paid off....here it is buzzed in, but not cleaned up.

[​IMG]

and from the other side

[​IMG]

I also got to try out the new brushable seam sealer...it works great

[​IMG]

So thats the large section of the floor done and seam sealed ready for paint, ect and the last floor section repair needed at least buzzed in and ready for dressing back. I'm sure there will be a few pin holes to fill in, but I felt good about the progress today

thanks for looking

jsf55, Gragson, arther dailey and 5 others like this.
Advertisements