1997 Astra F Estate Project.

1. Wallace

Wallace Member

Not until we've had some fun or written it off! :D

[​IMG]

That Sealey Supermig looks like my old Einhell SGA165.

2. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

Maybe a rebadged version. It's quite old. I bought it about 15 years ago from Britool.

3. Wallace

Wallace Member

Bought mine in 1989! :laughing:

Matt Thomson likes this.
  4. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

Almost finished the inner wheel well. Now all one solid part, just need to finish grinding it down and Polish it up a bit.
    20180612_220138.jpg

jpmillermatic, Dcal, galooph and 3 others like this.
  5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Naaa....I don't believe thats the same panel....you went out and bought a new one I think :clapping:

Matt Thomson and Exuptoy like this.
  6. jpmillermatic

jpmillermatic Member

USA-NY

yeah, nice try....thats a new panel!

;)

really well done....welds all but disappeared!

JP

Matt Thomson likes this.
  7. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

Lol......aye, it worked out not bad. I found a fantastic piece of kit for tidying up the welds though. We use what we call a "Dotco" at work. Sort of a 90° die grinder with interchangeable heads. Very handy tool but you need a massive compressor to run it. I'd been looking for an electric version but couldn't find one till a few weeks back. I got a miniature angle grinder from eBay and made a slight mod to the chuck and now it accepts 3M Roloc discs. It's only 18cm long and 5 cm wide and has a 2" disc on it. So much more intricate and easier to profile, shape and Polish. Best £23 I've spent yet....

Exuptoy likes this.
  8. Dcal Member

Matt, have you a link to the grinder you got?
    I'm after something similar

Matt Thomson likes this.
  9. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

I did have, I just looked on eBay and every one of them is gone. No mention of them anywhere..Gimme a bit and I'll try and find another supplier. Screenshot_20180619-123512.png Screenshot_20180619-123519.png

10. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

11. Lidl Parkside also have a small 76mm cut off tool for £29

Matt Thomson likes this.
  12. Matt Thomson likes this.
  13. Wallace

Wallace Member

There’s a thread on here about the Katsu grinder from Aim Tools.

Edit: link

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Matt Thomson likes this.
  14. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

That's the one.

15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Matt....thats a pretty good idea with the grinder....I have one of those grinders (exactly the same one). I might give it a go and see if I get on with it. I just tend to use my bosch power file all the time but it loves ejecting the belts which is really annoying and the rubber guide wheels aren't really up for a lot of punishment either!

Matt Thomson likes this.
  16. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

Yeah, I found the same thing with my electric linisher. It goes through belts like they're going out of fashion then randomly shreds them and spits them out. The Roloc pad holder is definitely the way to go but you'll need to modify it. The pad holder is 6mm diameter but the collet on the grinder is only 3mm. What I did was use a pad holder with a wide neck where the shaft joins the flat head. Machined the metal shaft down to just over 3mm and opened the collet out a bit. When it's pushed right in the pad is supported from any lateral movement by the locking ring on the grinder so there's little or no stress on the narrow shaft. This was this one I used. The pad unscrews from the shaft so you can swap the big pad for the smaller one for using the 1" discs.

• 50mm holder.jpg
    Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  17. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers Matt....whats really annoying is somewhere in my loft I have a set of those Roloc holders and pads....bought them with an air tool and had big plans but the compressor I had wasn't up to the job!

Matt Thomson likes this.
  18. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

Yeah, my compressor is the same. You get about 10 seconds of decent grinding then another 5 minutes of the compressor hammering away.

19. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

I've decided to cheat a bit to help things along. It'll get the old bus on the road sooner but may well end up being a second project.......
    20180625_145418.jpg
    Lots of good parts on it. 57k on the clock from new and a fortunes worth of new parts.

Exuptoy likes this.
  20. Matt Thomson

Matt Thomson Member

Well, it's been a while since I did any work on the old bus. It was supposed to be back in one piece and in the paint shop by now but the storms last year had other ideas and destroyed my garage. So, not being one to give up easily (and also being skint) I decided to take on another unusual DIY project. It's been a hard slog, more so since I've never laid a brick in my life, but I reckon it turned out not bad for a first attempt.....
    A bit of roughcast and some final cosmetic bits and pieces and hopefully the projects will be back on the go within the next couple of weeks......fingers crossed.

• 20190511_171712.jpg
    Exuptoy, Dcal, galooph and 2 others like this.
Advertisements