1927 Humber 14/40

1. Coo

Coo Member

Fife
    What a boost to the restoration seeing that like new !

No scare stories from the blasting then ?

2. Hitch

Hitch Moderator Staff Member

Somerset
    I repaired the exhaust on one of these this morning. The elbow bolted on the end of the manifold, then the tube goes in and brazed round.... Like that on yours?

3. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    thanks for the coments guys, No scare stories from blasting, they did find the car a little heavy, well the rails must be 3 or 4mm thick.
    Hitch, no i think my manifold is cast as one lump with the typical flange on the end like we see on more modern stuff..

4. GER.Armin New Member

Germany
    Great Job so far!!!

I'd love to see the final result!!!

greetings from germany

5. fuff66uk

fuff66uk Member

Nice work RB,i'm hoping to get a classic car to restore soon so i'm loving following your restoration

6. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Progress to date has been mixed, mostly leaving the garage feeling like nothing works... typical example, ordered some new shackle pins all made as per original spec, some fit and then some others well some bright spark many years ago built this chassis slightly different, perhaps it was a Friday afternoon job, see photo of the old and new pins.
    But the better news is the crankcase is new cleaned and ready to go and have the bigends and mains all re done. Cleaning was all elbow work and some degreasing fluid from MM, a lot different from before, just as well, as it will sit along side the NEW cylinder block which is on order the old had already been rebored at least once but had many cracks under the fan housing.
    IMG_6927.jpg
    IMG_6939.jpg
    Road springs and some drums that have been cleaned up etc and the steering box, which had to be dismantled to remove the old grease..
    IMG_6933.jpg
    IMG_6936.jpg

7. troppo Member

australia
    Half your luck on having something like this old girl to restore. I`ll be following this with pleasure, the body restoration is going to be very interesting

8. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    update

Well the Mig was used in in anger on the project. The rather crude pole acting as both the running board support and pivot point had suffered bad rot at each end, so in an attempt to keep as much original as I can I thought weld on more tube to each end thus keeping the original centre section, but despite efforts there is a slight bend along the length of the larger pole, only detectable when I dry assemble, so look like a new pole is now needed, shame but I cant have the peddles running out of true..
    but i have felt better after finishing one of the front hub, new leather gaitors oil seals etc just 3 more to go...
    IMG_6954.jpg

IMG_6955.jpg

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6959.jpg

9. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    small update

Well had all the brake shoes re linned now as well as the cone clutch and third brake (a large band) running round on the propshaft/ back of the gearbox, all hi-tech stuff. so the only real picture to show. As many hours spent messing round with the drivers side king pin having to get new one and bushes, taking the leaf springs to have the eyes re formed round new pins. just one leaf left to have re made as that was cracked then i should be able to put the chassis back on some wheels.... the joy of not being able to go and buy new parts

IMG_7259.jpg

10. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    polish some small parts

Time to clean a few parts up, needed a change.. A lot of small parts were left labled up in bags as they came off still covered in 50 years of grime (when the car was last used) if not longer.
    So out with the nail brush, brilo pads etc and not to mention some degreaser, whilst im not trying to achive mirror finish or even concours i do want the finished car to look clean but not bling although tempting....

as you can see lots of small pits and scratches with black much but i think it adds to the charm

IMG_7328.jpg

11. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Update

I big mile stone has now been reached, im sure the picture tells you more. It feels like i have come a long way but just as far to go...
    I have had to make all new brake pull rods not to mention a whole box of other odds and sods just to get the chassis where it is today, but i now have something that can be moved again. And yes i did put a chair on the top just to test the steering...

The engine is back now from the various places that have been working on it so i now have new bearings both on the crank and conrods, new pistons new cylinder block and a reskimed head all ready to be put back together, so another few years to go...
    IMG_7837.jpg
    IMG_7843.jpg
    IMG_7845.jpg
    IMG_7849.jpg

12. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I like the brass adjusters on the brake rods, no messing about with spanners!

13. Norm Member

awesome work and so worth the effort, keep the updates coming please, really want to see this fully restored.
    Regards Norm

14. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

:o

was hoping to see it finished next month :whistle:

a very worthwhile and at the end satisfying project

15. Terrapin Member

UK Wirral
    Excellent work, keep at it you are doing a great job.
    Cheers
    Rob (Terrapin racing car builder & book publisher)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  16. capri52b New Member

Lincoln UK
    Humber 1927 14/40 Saloon

Hi great job you are doing, I have a 14/40 my farther bought in 1958 from the original owner, I am in Lincoln so might have some usefull tips etc for you, You would be free to come and see the car anytime, I am new to this forum thing! so i don't know how we get in touch?

17. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Welcome :waving: to the forum, if you want to send a message, left click on name (top left of post) and select "send a private message".

18. Chickenjohn

Chickenjohn Morris Minor and Porsche 944 fan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wow, is that engine both side valve and overhead valve??? Presume inlet in the head and exhaust goes out the crank case holes, of the other way round??

19. bill_gj

bill_gj Tired and irritable

Hockley, Essex
    This was a favourite valve layout of a few manufacturers.
    I think some Rover engines were still doing this in the 1950s.

20. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

IIRC they called it single side valve. Rover did indeed use that layout.

Advertisements