1927 Humber 14/40

1. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Just an introduction into my project feel free to comment advise etc as this is not my day job just a hobby..
    The story...
    The car has been in a lock-up since 1960 and i got my mitts on this about 1 1/2 years ago work startted at the end of last summer removing the rubbish spiders etc from the car and trying to stabalise the timber body which has suffered from rot, the steel skin has also sufered, the engine is seized despite derv being poured in the cylinders. yes this will be a long project and this will remain as close to original. ie 2ltr straight 4, 4speed manual box, rod operatted brakes to front brakes with 3rd being the tranmision shaft....
    And if that is not enought to keep me busy im learing to weld on a mgb roadster
    Picture 019.jpg

• IMG_6446.jpg
  2. Chickenjohn

Chickenjohn Morris Minor and Porsche 944 fan

Great project!

BTW, as you will have to make or repair just about every body panel youself, it would be a great idea to enrol on a vehicle restoration course where you will learn all the panel fabrication skills needed.

3. JonnyM Member

UK
    Looks like you have your work cut out. Well worth the effort.

I would advise not welding to close to the wood!:rolleyes::whistle:

I keep looking at the 1920s-30s Vauxhall of my fathering laws, he parked it in an open garage in 1960, its covered in rubbish and slowly getting worse each year. Such a shame.

Keep the photos coming

Jonnym

4. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff, glad you're keeping it original, I'm not a great fan of making hot-rods out of vintage cars!

I wonder just how many more cars of this age & condition are languishing around the country?

5. Cool project. Keep the pics coming.

Much better than my log splitter build i've just done

6. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

nice project there is a museum ih hull full of humbers all different models

7. pix-al Member

Swansea, UK
    What a cracking project!

Good luck with it, it is a fairly major undertaking!

8. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Small update but one giant leap forwards:laughing:
    I have finally got the timer body off, a few evening were spent adding braces to the timber to stop movment. and all this has been placed on a rather large home made skateboard. movning this around the garage is so easy now...
    On to the steel... ive many bits to strip off like the gearbox and so on then layers of dried grease about 5mm thick in places dont suppose the jetwash will shift that. but once thats done its off to be shot. IMG_6815.jpg

9. Chipper Member

Good stuff. Scraper for the worst of the gack with heatgun if needed, then a good soak or two in TFR, will do it. My Landy was the same.

10. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Well two days later and the grime has all been removed from the chassis, and this is now at the shotblaster. Back at the ranch had fun with the engine, this engine has not turned over since 1960 but possibly 1950 as we know it was pushed into a shed in the 60`s.
    So the engine wont turn despite derv been down the cylinders for 7-8 weeks, time to get stuck in.. firstly a bracket needed to be fabed up 10mm plate with 80 x 80 SHS arms with gusset plates) to mount the crankcase to a M-mart engine stand then clean some of the muck off leaving what turned out to be some cracks in the cylinder block around the fan housing/wateroutlet (no water umps on these) so needed:mad: And that large timing pulley is a fibre not steel so how do i pull that off
    IMG_6861.jpg

IMG_6864.jpg

IMG_6836.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

11. Chickenjohn

Chickenjohn Morris Minor and Porsche 944 fan

Very long stroke pistons!

BTW, do you need to remove the fibre timing gear? I'd be tempted to leave the camshaft in place if it turns.

12. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

thats a great looking car , keep the pics coming !

13. GeorgiePorgie pre-moderated

Wow,some restoration work needed to be put into that thing,sorry but thats how I see it. :)

I'm a bit mystified though when restorers can say it been restored to its former glory when a high percentage of parts and structures are mordern,take your restoring of the wooden frame, its new but not the original wood frame,so my gripe is How can we class an old relic restored to its original condition as restored?

14. Cris B

Cris B Every day welding is a school day

Theseus' paradox is something every restorer faces...:cool:

15. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    It would be nice to leave the fibre timming gear in place but the cam wont turn so it all needs sorting, just hope that when i try removing it it stays in one bit, and yes long stroke pistons 75mm x 115

16. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Is there an owners club you could join and consult ? There is always someone somewhere that knows a solution to these problems. Is the crank on those just splash lubricated or is the oil pumped ? Do the conrods have shells or are they white metalled ?

17. rtbcomp

This means it's restored to it's orignal condition, not that the vehicle itself is original.

E.g. when it came out of the factory it had brand new wood in the frame and after restoration it still has brand new wood in the frame, though not the same wood!

18. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Yes there is a humber club for the vintage cars, quite helpfull guys for a small club.
    Yes the engine was splash lubricated, the following year this was changed to a fully pumped system. yes this engine has shells on the bigends its an alloy crankcase with iron cylinder and iron head advanced car for its day, have a look at the trim on the original doors 887008.jpg

19. rtbcomp

Shells on the Big-ends suprises me, Riley's were still white metalled upto 1954

20. RBDIVE

RBDIVE Member

uk notts
    Well the big bit of metal came back from the (shotblaster) and typically the job has not all done so i then spent a day using my fleebay 10gal pot to finish where they left off, but then i would have done that anyway as i like to know a job has been done. once that was done it got a coat of epoxy..
    IMG_6878.jpg

IMG_6887.jpg

Advertisements