Youtube project series - Toyota GT-Four engine & running gear in Austin Mini 1000

1. visor_down

visor_down Member

South East

2. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It's a way support online content. Basically I pay $1 towards each video. The only benefit you get is watching the video 24hrs earlier(and my name listed in the credits) but the reality is for me is I often don't to watch it until it would be free anyway but that isn't why i do it.

I can fully understand the argument of "why pay if you don't have to?" but this kind of content wouldn't exist if someone wasn't paying because it wouldn't be viable. I am more than than happy to pay $1 towards their production costs for each video. This funding is why they are able to produce more videos now.

3. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    I agree, there's lots of great stuff on YouTube that I would happily contribute toward. I wish there was a 'Give a quid' or even 'Give 10p' button as well as a 'Like' for things that you watch where the contributor has really put in some time and effort.

4. Normsthename

Normsthename Member

Leicester, UK

Andy

5. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

I've got to say i'm very impressed with the alternator/ AC solution:thumbup:

premmington, Wallace and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Not least that you can get a flexible drive that can take that sort of continuous high-speed use.

7. Normsthename

Normsthename Member

Leicester, UK
    They didn’t say how much it was, just “It was not cheap....”
    I did a search and there is an Aerospace company that sells them.
    No prices on there site, just contact them for further information.
    That’s usually a sign that it’s bloody expensive! :)

Andy

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Kayos

Kayos Member

It runs at twice crank speed, what does that engine rev to? 6.5k? More?

So it has to turn at 13krpm, and not explode or snap, not cheap is an understatement I think

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. ranchero Member

i work for a aerospace company. 13k rpm no problem. not cheep is a huge understatement

10. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Out of interest, what would they be used for in an aircraft?

11. visor_down

visor_down Member

South East

Wallace likes this.
  12. Gritineye Forum Supporter

Sussex UK
    Don't often question their methods but strange choices of lathe tools there, still got er done ok.

13. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

My thoughts too. They seem to like running in reverse too.

14. visor_down

visor_down Member

South East

RedOrZed likes this.
  15. Pete.

Pete. Member

He's still confusing driving end and driven end. To make matters worse he's calling the driving end the driven end then in the next breath talks about taking drive from it - duh!

16. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

I’ve never been in a machine shop , but hung round long here to know myfords have been mentioned once or twice .

Most I rem of using a lathe is trying to turn a bit of broom handle in CDT , craft design tech project , into something usable and at 14 back in the late 80’s all I could think of was a skittle !!!

Can’t rem what anyone else did but I’m sure it was equally naff

But

For me it’s was very interesting to watch , lots of either ‘ahh that’s how they do it or thought that was done that way .

17. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I think it's interesting the difference in reaction to the in depth videos.

I friend of mine said he was keen to see more detail but I knew he would struggle and he said he was already losing interest after a few minutes, there is no way he could watch 45 mins of Abom79 machining a shaft. I can understand peoples issues with the way things were done but the videos were about how they did it, not a lesson on how someone else should do it.

18. Pete.

Pete. Member

I hear you but I also think that given the popularity of the series they should at least demonstrate some basic good working practice. People will be aspiring to do the same work that these two are showing.

19. HopefullySoon

HopefullySoon Member

I think they are appealing to Ed’s China audience + a bit , more in-depth but not enough so it’s boring .

20. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    You can put that argument to channels and TV programs that have far more viewers than Project Binky. It's pretty common on the recent Wheeler Dealers show for them to be using chrome sockets on high powered impact guns and welding/grinding in a T-shirt none which come under good working practice(I'm sure we've all done it) and that program is aimed at people who have far less engineering knowledge than many of the people who watch Project Binky.

I guess the thing is they are learning as they go a long, they won't have the experience of a time served machinist and I think what they achieved on a Myford is pretty good.

Advertisements