Yet another bead roller mod thread

1. chevy2

chevy2 Member

2. chevy2

chevy2 Member

Well that worked, first non photobucket pic i've managed to upload!

Wallace, indy4x, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  3. Dcal Member

Each to their own but motorising this was a bit of a project for me and I'm happy how it turned out and the increased functionality it gives me.

I didn't try too hard to learn how to roll beads one handed and the real advantage to me is I can now see what I'm doing and stand where I want, not where I need to so I can reach the handle.
    I'm sure I could have improved if I stuck with it, but learning to bead roll one handed is just another skill, like riding a unicycle, that I can do without learning.

Having said that the biggest improvement I made was stiffening it up.
    It would flop about if you took too big a step and now I can roll most beads in one go.
    I would not have a chance of rolling a bead manual on something like a door without help, with the mods I've done I now would have no problem and my bead rolling skills haven't improved any in the interim.

Certainly it's a bit of a luxury but it didn't cost much and I enjoyed the journey almost as much as the end result.

Out of interest did you reinforce your bead-roller?

chevy2 likes this.
  4. chevy2

chevy2 Member

Like you i tried a few beads but there was so much flex it needed stiffening,
    The box section brace sorted, i can run deep beads in 18g steel in one pass now,
    Also did the T handle adjuster for tension and also added a spring for the rolls to self seperate so you dont have to lift the top roll to remove the sheet. IMG_8177.JPG
    IMG_8178.JPG

Dcal and optima21 like this.
  5. Dcal Member

Tidy job and the welding is much more in keeping with the job required of it.
    I used is as a practice piece for learning tig welding so far too much but why not.

Certainly shows that there more than one way to skin a cat.

Advertisements