Workzone Bandsaw

1. Wightsparks

Wightsparks Forum Supporter

Typical, I was just thinking how for once my wallet has avoided the curse of the MIG forum as I really didn't need one of these because I already have 2 evo chop saws, a plasma cutter and 3 grinders - and what i would really like is a small metal cutting vertical band saw... :doh:

gaz1, zx9 and slim_boy_fat like this.
  2. Carl Wilson Member

Bought one.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. fnlvder Forum Supporter

Having tried the saw, I'm still don't know if the vice is any good. I put a clamp onto the jaws just in case it came loose and broke the only blade I had.

I was also surprised at the lack of covers but it seems very few saws I looked at had them.
    I had a look about on various forums for posts about broken blades and none of them mentioned anything about injuries or damage caused by flying blades. I doubt the saws would be sold without guards if this was likely to be an issue.

4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

The blades need tension to drive...would have thought if they break they just stop being driven.

SteScouse likes this.
  5. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Thats what happens on the one i have,, its a Clarke but works on same principle

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Kram and SteScouse like this.
  7. RichardM Member

mine came today - bits to do sometime:

calibrate and mark 0 degrees for repeatability.
    highlight degrees marks.
    put a little bump stop on it.
    make an upright bandsaw stand with a rip fence on it.
    alter clamp system some time.

Apart from that very happy :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  8. Carl Wilson Member

Mine has been dispatched.

9. Carl Wilson Member

Put the saw together this afternoon.

My first thoughts are:-

It's pretty quiet, much more than I expected.

Fitting the blade was a bit of a faff.

Vice definitely needs improvement.

Swivel mount for angled cuts also needs improvement. It's pretty sloppy.

Other than the above, first impressions are favourable. I think it's good value for money.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Carl Wilson Member

Had a quick look at the saw this morning. I think I can add bushes to the swivel bracket and base to make the mounting more stable.

11. Henrik Member

Here's mine (very temporarily mounted to the wall).
    IMG-20191005-WA0010.jpeg IMG-20191005-WA0011.jpeg

It's great, IMO. Definitely not a quiet tool, but much quieter than an angle grinder etc. With the workshop door closed, there's only a hum outside.

My next steps are to build a base for it so I can mount it to the vise or have it freestanding on a table/floor. Also need to make a worktable for it, obviously :)

It easily munched through 10mm steel, and a 1.5mm wall thickness stainless steel pipe.

12. Kram

Kram Member

Most of my stuff is short offcuts, so wont hold in the vice. I might make a plate with lots of m8 tapped holes to clamp things down to.

13. RichardM Member

I've accelerated improving the vice after cutting some angle up for a new metal storage rack, backed off on a couple of occasions.
    All set up in the lathe to cut a 16mm thread tomorrow (dog and rugby allowing!) and I've just ordered some spare blades ;)

14. RichardM Member

Some of the rugby was cancelled so I did some alterations to the vice!

Old system:
    IMG_4701.JPG

New Parts: IMG_4702.JPG

The threaded steel block is tapered to fit the housing, the original spring, two pieces of plastic conduit and a couple of washers keep it located:
    IMG_4705.JPG

The small nylon T piece is to stop the moving jaw lifting as they put a nice slot in the vice base to allow me to fit it:
    IMG_4704.JPG

All screwed together:
    IMG_4709.JPG

Gragson, mpats, gaz1 and 3 others like this.
  15. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Noticed your original clamp bar was improved from mine in that it was knurled - I guess it didn't make that much of a difference?

16. RichardM Member

It did back off slightly when I was cutting angle iron. It may have been more of an issue with the moving jaw being able to lift than the actual locking system.

Advertisements