Which van?

1. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

People that own vans generally want to move things about

There's nothing wrong with diesel engines in my experience. The 1.9 tdi in the Caddy's is a well proven engine

The 1.8 Ford engine in the transit connect can be changed to chain rather than wet belt

The problem when doing your research you only hear the bad.

High Mileage isn't a problem if it's been looked after with good service history

nickk and stuvy like this.
  2. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

Caddy gearboxes are made out of chocolate and they are too expensive.
    The 1.3 combo has timing chain issues.
    Buy a connect all day long. The 1.8 diesel was a good engine. It has no dpf filter so short journeys are no problem, if egr valve goes just block it. The wet belt changed in 2007. Some has some hasn't. If its not changed then change it. It doesn't give trouble. Its the same as every other timing belt in that if its not changed it'll break.
    I have to cars both with the 1.8 engine. One has wet belt and one hasn't, makes no difference.
    Good mpg and really easy worked at. Friends connect has 180000 on it and running like a dream. Parts are dead cheap cos their is 1.8 in loads of ford's.
    Only thing I would look out for is rot especially around the sills.
    I like the 1.8 cos they had no dpf, so It would be stupid to buy a petrol over it for half the mpg

slim_boy_fat, mangocrazy and stuvy like this.
  3. leslie7324

leslie7324 Member

stuvy likes this.
  4. tom2207 Member

yep ,,, would a people carrier with the seats out do your job ?/

bigegg likes this.
  5. stuvy

stuvy Member

galaxy 1.9tdi with the 130ps engine

jerrytug likes this.
  6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Probably cheaper to insure than a van

jerrytug and stuvy like this.
  7. stuvy

stuvy Member

on the rear outer sill on drivers side

it was a factory petrol engine

I sold it to my mate that fitted it with an st170 and still had it to this day

8. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

We have run a few Connects over the years and they seem to give reasonable service, pensioned two off recently because of age/mileage. Very cheap to keep on the road, decent mpg and lots of second-hand spares available.

Bob

stuvy and Ashley Burton like this.
  9. qwakers Member

so buy a expert or a partner lwb. lots of options here on the same platform :D

10. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Paid £5500 new so at 250000 t’s cheap mileage

11. Turbo Member

If you were considering a Berlingo what about an Expert or a Dispatch or a Scudo? Slightly bigger, available with the 2l HDI engine & in your price range.

12. northwest

northwest Member

Can easily be "upgraded" to 160PS :whistle:

stuvy likes this.
  13. chris pruteanu Member

Even more with just a turbo change from the golf mk4 ARL engine... I would look at a caddy or a t5 1.9 tdi, reliable engines and decent handling, vw knows how to make a van !
    I have a 2.5 tdi t4, old VE 5 cylinder engine, its really, really good. Tuneable, no rust and handles the part with a suspension change to Eibach springs and Sachs HD shocks...however some ask a premium for some of them...

14. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

ive only had VAG for the last 15 years with 1 exception, other than maintenance i have replaced an exhaust sensor and radiator and 1 head gasket that was a known issue on B5.5 diesels... so far on vehicles 7 & 8, the exception was a brand new vivaro that after 2.5 years i got a full refund on as it had so many issues, in the end it wouldn't start and vauxhal couldn't fix it....

15. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Thanks everyone for the input, Given the above I'm going to have a look at some connects and see what they're like underneath. Budgeting for the replacement of the wet belt if it has one will be a must.

stuvy likes this.
  16. Turbo Member

You didn't mention if you needed to tow a trailer. If you want to tow anything over 750 kg check the towing limit on whatever Connect you look at as some of them are limited to just 750kg!

But the 2l HDI 06 on Dispatch can tow up to 2000kg!

stuvy likes this.
  17. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

cheers for the heads up, no towing required though, I'm limited by my licence with towing anyway :thumbup:

stuvy likes this.
  18. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Follow up...

Had a look at some connects, nothing has changed at ford, man those vehicles like to rot.

Went for a 2006 berlingo, decided I'd live with the smaller size in favour of it not crumbling away in a few years.

It's got the 2.0HDI, 100,000miles, no dual mass flywheel and no DPF. It'll be getting a service and the EGR blanked off and time will tell on how it fairs on the reliability front.

19. Turbo Member

That's the best engine to have, if it's got the Bosch ecu fitted it can be remapped to give a reliable 10-15% increase in torque & bhp. I had my 406 remapped & it transformed it from a slugger to a joy to drive, plus a good 10% increase in mpg. Best £120 I ever spent on a car!

Just keep an eye on the rear axle & get it reconned before it gets too bad. If you get it fixed in time you should avoid having to fit new stub axles which are the expensive bit!

stuvy and jimbo84 like this.
  20. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Not sure on the ECU, I'll have a look.

What are the signs the axle needs reconning or the stub axles are going? It is an unusual looking set up under there but citroen never seem to do standard suspension.

Advertisements