Which van?

1. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Been looking around, just online at the moment for a small van, budget £2000 max, £1200-£1500 would be better.

Berlingo (old shape) too small, had one of those before (1.9d slug) until the cambelt killed it.
    Berlingo (new shape) better size but they all seem to come with that metal lump of hell which is the 1.6HDI ticking time bomb.

Vauxhall Combo better size but they mostly come in the 1.3 flavour which sounds like a nightmare of an engine with it's elastic timing chain which it seems when, not if, it stretches is a nightmare to replace. 1.7 seems better but much fewer of them and they have the DPFs which will be a problem with the use it will get with me.

The transit connect is the perfect size but it appears some genius at ford thought it would be a good idea to replace a timing chain with an elastic band submerged in oil and buried in the engine known as the wet belt system. From what I can find they only did this on the engines after 2008, can anyone confirm? Before 2008 it seems they all are a chain to the pump then an easy to change belt from the pump to the cam.

Plenty of the older connects around that should hopefully have the lower chain and upper belt but being a ford and older than a week corrosion is worrying me, do they suffer like their big brothers?

Any tips/pointers gratefully received.

I'd rather have sharp pointy things in the eyes than own a diesel time bomb but it isn't an option to avoid so looking for the best of what seem like a bad bunch.

2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

@jimbo84 I think your going to struggle to be honest with you

How much are VW Caddy's these days? The problem with VW is they hold their value due to the badge

jimbo84, Ruffian, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

My connect handled like a go kart was a 2003 and was reliable as hell

if I was going to have another van I’d have a petrol connect lwb hi roof

jimbo84 likes this.
  4. qwakers Member

peugeot partner is the best of them imho, ive had 5 brand new connects over the last 6 years and all but one has had a major breakdown in less than 40k miles, a few of them more than 1!

ive never managed to break a partner.

jimbo84 likes this.
  5. Bullet2012

Bullet2012 Forum Supporter

Nothing wrong with the last of the old shape berlingo, owned mine from new (2008) Now covered 25000 miles and it’s all nearlY original . Well apart from, so many front wishbones I have lost count, 3 rear axles (complete) a transmission a fuel tank two drivers seats (note to self, loose weight) 2 water pumps, 3 oil coolers, 1 heater matrix, 2 heater fans, 1 radio and lots of tyres, apart from that it’s all original, except the new bonnet front panel and two wings, but they weren’t my fault, honest guv. :laughing:

Parm, jimbo84 and Kayos like this.
  6. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

jerrytug, Bullet2012, Parm and 4 others like this.
  7. roblane65

roblane65 Member

Is that 25,000 or 250,000 ! sounds like a good van :scared:

Bullet2012, jimbo84 and brightspark like this.
  8. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Caddy if you can find one at that price

jimbo84 likes this.
  9. stuvy

stuvy Member

sounds like a bargain buy

my connect never missed a beat and I took ownership at 140k tharashed it for 60k daily and it was fine

Bullet2012 and jimbo84 like this.
  10. brightspark

brightspark Member

as said the newer connects suffer from belt failure my mates did at 60 000 miles buggered the lot up then got another engine same thing :mad:now has an older engine in with chain drive no bother

jimbo84 likes this.
  11. m_c Member

With that kind of budget, it'll be a case of what you can find, without being too picky.

Officially on the old 1.8 Connects, the chain should be replaced at the same interval as what the belt should.
    The new Connects use PSA engines, along with the usual failures.

VW Caddy's suffer from the usual VW injector woes, and have a thing for seizing turbo wastegates/variable geometry.

Vauxhall Combo's with the 1.3 engine aren't that bad. Turbo wastegate seizing on non-DPF ones is an issue if they've sat for a while, but a suitable lever and WD40 fix that. Timing chain isn't that big a job for somebody with the correct tools, and I'd get it changed around 100k regardless. It's no worse than most timing belts.

jimbo84 likes this.
  12. brightspark

brightspark Member

I had a Vauxhall combo 2010 . 1700 diesel that I did 110 thousand miles in and it was thrashed regular only things done on it was broken suspension springs a duff alternator and brakes and pads oil change and tires

jimbo84 likes this.
  13. tom2207 Member

what ever you buy ,,, buy petrol.

bigegg, jerrytug, Bullet2012 and 3 others like this.
  14. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Yeah I'm at the bottom end, high milage and thrashed examples a plenty.

15. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Good to hear something positive, did it have bad corrosion or was it ok? Didn't know they did a petrol version, or is it an engine swap out from something else.

16. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

They're just a bit on the small side, I had the old berlingo which is the same van (I think) and it was a nightmare to work out of due to its size.

17. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Sounds like a fine example. Mine used to rain on you from the interior light when you went round a corner. Cambelt snapped leaving me stranded awaiting recovery.

slim_boy_fat and Bullet2012 like this.
  18. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

They look smart but are a bit pricey for my budget. A mate has a T5, he may just have a bad one but it is a money pit, total nightmare, spends more time in the garage than out, it's put me off VW's a bit.

19. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

It's another example of modern engine "advancements". A belt in oil buried in the engine :doh:. Reading online a lot of garages change the upper normal cambelt without even realising there's another hidden. Ford give them something like 150,000 mile/10 year interval but they snap way before as your mate found out.

They do a chain conversion kit but they ain't cheap and a decent sized job time wise.

slim_boy_fat and Ashley Burton like this.
  20. jimbo84 Forum Supporter

Wish there were more petrol vans around, they're like rocking horse droppings.

jerrytug and stuvy like this.
Advertisements