Where can I buy and collect a spray gun from today?

1. bert

bert Member

Just spray wet on wet, I put 3 coats on about 15 mins apart to allow the thinners to evaporate. But that's in a propper booth. No touching of the paint between coats as it will be soft and mark.

Edward Yemm likes this.
  2. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Don't be afraid to turn the pressure up. Too low and you'll get orange peel. I start at 2bar with trigger pulled but often go up to 2.5bar and flows nicer.

Edward Yemm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

As Bert says. I often just pull the trigger without fluid and get some air on it to speed it up to flash off.

Wet the floor helps when in the workshop keeping dust down. I have a pressure pot sprayer from Screwfix and just use that to wet things down, even the walls sometimes too.

Edward Yemm and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I personally only regulate the air at the gun regulator so it's full pressure to the gun. Pull the trigger for a bit but without fluid and set the pressure. I would go higher rather than lower pressure so to get less orange peel. Gunman is in Perth Oz and quite often 20 degrees hotter than here.

Edward Yemm likes this.
  5. Edward Yemm Member

So just do that and move the gun real fast then? At the moment I have 2-3 turns fluid and 1/4 to 1/2 turns. Air pressure input is 80psi or 90psi to get 29psi when I pull trigger. Do I use less trigger on edges etc to avoid runs or just pull trigger all the way back as well and swipe across fast? Thanks.

6. Edward Yemm Member

Ok. I’ll set it to 2 bar trigger and then wind it up to 2.5 bar. Also, my trigger pressure fluctuates a lot during compressor cycles. I’ll start it at 2.5 bar 35psi then so it doesn’t drop down too low. I won’t be tacking in between coats then. I just wondered if the overspray may give me a coarse hazed finish if too much gets on between coats. Sounds like I don’t need to care about that then. I had a hazed finish on a small test panel I did yesterday. Could just have been too low an air pressure. Think I was closer to 20psi than 30psi. I then touched the primer on another panel and it had tons of basecoat overspray on it from testing the spray pattern of the guns. I did go through 200ml of basecoat during testing and there was lots of overspray in the garage so that wouldn’t have helped the finish I would have thought. The basecoat would perhaps have flowed out the same shape as the overspray. I’ll just make sure I wipe the panel down again and tack it. I’ll wet the floor as well. I’ve done that before. Does wetting help with the overspray dust as well then or just the general dust? I never really understood? I always vacuum everything around the panel before spraying. Sorry. I do go on. I like to give people the full picture incase there’s something along the line that’s wrong. Thanks.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  7. carbon

carbon Member

Set the spraygun up like the ppg video in the other thread. I’ve never used that spraygun but would have thought you shouldn’t be getting lots of overspray. I did paint a small panel recently with an Sri pro at 1.6 bar but direct gloss not basecoat and didn’t notice any overspray but I do have an extractor

8. Edward Yemm Member

I think I got masses of overspray because I was spraying over and over again repeatedly on that cardboard between each adjustment of the gun. A lot more paint than one coat. I’m not sure what to do now. The instructions on the devilbiss book say to start with everything wide open. I’ve always adjusted the gun like you said, like on the ppg video. Maybe if my fan is too narrow I risk runs.

9. Edward Yemm Member

I just set the gun up. With the fan wide open there is pressure drop. To get 35 psi 2.5 bar I have to feed 110 psi through the gun. Are you setting up the airflow with the fan open wide or closed? I don’t want to damage this.

10. Bluemotion

Bluemotion Member

Spraygunsdirect based in derby. One MASSIVE gun supplier and I’ve just started using them. Cheaper than on eBay I’ve found out and such a massive range of spares as well.

Edward Yemm likes this.
  11. Bluemotion

Bluemotion Member

There’s a guy in Australia named ‘the gunman’ who buys from the uk and gives gun reviews.

Edward Yemm likes this.
  12. Edward Yemm Member

I’ve seen his videos.

Bluemotion likes this.
  13. Edward Yemm Member

This Devilbiss SLG 620 is listed as gravity fed on the instructions. There’s nothing about it being HVLP. It seems like it could have some sort of HVLP technology though. Feeding 110psi through the water trap/regulator on the gun only gets you 35psi trigger. With my other conventional gravity fed guns I’d have 50-60psi trigger at that feed pressure.

14. Edward Yemm Member

Whacking the pressure up will probably be ok anyway. I’m assuming 29psi is operating pressure they suggest. Far too low if that’s input surely. If it’s safe to go up to 60psi trigger pressure then I’ll never get that anyway. Not with my compressor.

• DD1C8DF9-9EA7-474D-AB6A-DDDD6890490B.jpeg
  15. carbon

carbon Member

Usually set the spraygun up with fan open as that's how id use the spraygun, and reduce the air pressure when reducing the size of the fan

16. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

Have you the air control valve fully open?
    The air cap probably needs more air than your other guns so you are getting a bigger pressure drop when you pull the trigger.

What size is the airline from the compressor to the gun?
    It sounds that there is a restriction in the setup and it can't deliver enough air.

You will really struggle getting good results with a setup like that.
    If you have loads of air, relying on a restriction to control the air sort of works, but if the compressor can't keep up the paint delivery will be all over the place.

17. carbon

carbon Member

Can't comment on that as haven't used that spraygun but bore size, length of airline type of quick release couplings can make a difference to air pressure required

18. carbon

carbon Member

The manual lists 4.8 cfm for the spraygun

19. Edward Yemm Member

I have a 10mm airline. It’s plugged into the adjustable port on the compressor. The port is wound most of the way out so I’m getting 110-120 psi down that line. I then have a quick flow airline connector then the mini water trap then the mini regulator then the gun.

20. Dcal

Dcal Forum Supporter

By pass the regulators one at a time and see what not flowing enough air.
    My guess is the regulators are limiting the flow.

carbon likes this.
Advertisements