Where can I buy and collect a spray gun from today?

1. Edward Yemm Member

I think my cheap spray gun is possibly worn out and I’ll never get good coverage. I’m pretty sure I’ll have lines of minor orange peel where the material is good in the middle of the fan and a hazy mess in between each line, where there is not enough material at the outsides of the fan. I started by turning the fan all the way in and I got a circle. Gradually opened it up less than a 1/4 turn. I cannot get a hand span fan. Only full coverage in a smaller area than that and then I get runs. Once I open the fan I get spray patterns shown in images 1,3 and 4. It gets no better however much I open the fluid needle. I’m getting no more fluid. Surely it should be streaming out and running if it’s wound all the way out. I currently have a Clarke AP16GF. 1.4mm I’ve upped the air pressure to 30psi when I pull the trigger. 80psi feed in order to achieve this. I’m thinking of trying my other guns to see what results I get. I have 1.5, 1.8 and 2.2mm. I don’t think they will be suitable for Metallic basecoat. Is there anywhere open today that I can click and collect the Devilbiss slg 610 from. People really rate them on here. I’m in Gloucestershire. I YouTube searched my gun and a video of a harbour freight gun from America popped up. It’s the spitting image of my gun. The guy using it cannot get decent coverage no matter what he does. Time for a change.

• 1A8CF1D9-4B0B-451F-8B9D-FDAB5F1962C9.jpeg
    • 62F9EB9D-8CAA-40D9-8127-30BA35962A79.jpeg
    • 202D8EAD-55FF-4367-AD67-D1E256779A95.jpeg
    • 136BEC8C-8746-400F-83F0-7AE0E61AC0D0.jpeg
  2. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Amazon and pay for quick delivery

Edward Yemm likes this.
  3. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I would say you only options are going to be auto paint supplies or tool places but I guess it's unlikely they'll have one in stock. There's Middletons in Gloucester, I've only been a couple of time and everything seems to be on a special price but unfortunately it seems to be "One for the price of two" :laughing:

There's a couple of places in Hereford if you don't mind travelling a bit further, I would certainly ring first
    Saracens
    Border Automotive
    City Auto Paints

If you don't mind going a bit further these people would probably be a good option, they do deliver out to Gloucester
    Car Paint Warehouse in Bristol/Swindon, they list SLG 620 £79

mtt.tr and Edward Yemm like this.
  4. Edward Yemm Member

Thanks guys! I’m about ready to launch this gun at the wall. Ha ha. I’m not sure what the limits are on travel at the moment. Spray gun needed for my job is probably ok though.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  5. Edward Yemm Member

Middleton’s have a lot of fast mover stuff. Definitely something I’m not able to do with this piece of rubbish gun. I’ll see if they’ve got any Devilbiss guns. Another cheap gun that pops up in searches is the Devilbiss GTI Pro Lite 1.3mm TE20. Not sure on that one though. Not mentioned on here. Or at least I haven’t seen it on here. Probably both good. Better than my current rubbish.

6. carbon

carbon Member

Not sure I’d class the GTI pro lite as a cheap gun at about £307 from sprayguns direct then I’m not sure your compressor would cope as the te20 air cap needs 12.7 cfm

stuvy likes this.
  7. bert

bert Member

Most of the cheap devilbiss guns are Chinese knock offs. A real gti pro lite is £300+

stuvy likes this.
  8. mr haynes Member

Presume you have stripped and thoroughly cleaned your gun?

outofthefire, Edward Yemm and stuvy like this.
  9. stuvy

stuvy Member

I paid about £350 for mine

10. carbon

carbon Member

I have a GTi pro that I bought in 2014 seem to think I paid about £270 then

11. Edward Yemm Member

The cheap GTI must be a knock off then. I’ve just bought the slg 620. Taking a drive down to Brizzle to pick it up now. Cheers!

12. carbon

carbon Member

Genuine air caps are about £107 For the gti pro lite. So definitely not genuine if the complete spraygun can be bought cheaper

stuvy likes this.
  13. Edward Yemm Member

Yes. I re examined it today. Checked all over. Found some gunk where the paint pot screws in. Also some in the cap right next to where the fluid tip is. Cleaned with a solvent spraying gun. Re built and it’s still no good.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    stuvy likes this.
  14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Don’t know where you’re based but look for your local auto Paint supplier. One that crosses my mind is Car Colour Services. Mawney Road, Romford.

15. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Your paint looks too thin as well :D Enjoy the new gun and look after it, a lot of problems come from the packing behind the nut where the needle enters behind the air cap.

norsa and stuvy like this.
  16. Edward Yemm Member

That’s better. I’m using 1:1 basecoat to medium basecoat thinners. There is a packing nut adjustment I had to do on this gun before using it. Nothing like that on the Clarke gun. The needle feels stiff on that compared to this.

• B1E4E384-29BB-4707-92A9-EC5AA3E1ADA6.jpeg
  17. carbon

carbon Member

Looks completely different some paint is making it to the cardboard now :clapping: and on the plus side that spraygun uses a lot less air than the other one

Edward Yemm likes this.
  18. Edward Yemm Member

Yes. It says maximum air input 60psi. 29psi operating pressure. To get 29psi operating pressure I had to whack the input up to over 80psi. I turned input down to just over 60 and I’m getting 20 at the trigger. All the results shown are a mixture of 20-29 trigger pressure. No difference really. I’ll just keep it at a lower pressure. Thanks to the praise and recommendations on here for this gun I now have a decent budget gun. My wife was saying, I hope that’s the last thing you buy for spraying that car then she just blew £65 at the garden centre. Thanks then!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. Edward Yemm Member

I use a hoover on top of the car to catch overspray and stop it landing on the panels in between coats. If I wait say 15 minutes between coats. Then if I touch the masking tape to see if the paint on that has dried. Then if I tack cloth the panel before the next coat. Is this going to give me a clearer finish in the final paint?

20. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Full fan and full fluid.

Edward Yemm likes this.
Advertisements