What's The Best Way to Weld this Socket into a 45 gallon Oil Drum?

1. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi Guys

I could use some advice on Welding this Galvanized Malleable Socket (see Photo) into the side of a 45 Gallon Oil Drum

First of all the Drum is Brand New made of Steel and has a removable lid and has never contained any inflammable substance, so providing I leave the lid off when I'm Welding the Socket in the side of it, then nothing should go bang

The plan is to use a Hole Cutter the same size as the OD of the Socket, so it will be a fairly tight fit, even before I start to Weld it in.

I am also planning to grind off the Galvanizing as much as I can and although I've done some Mig Welding before, I've never yet done any Welding on Malleable Iron, so don't know if this is going to be a problem?

Also should I use 0.8 or 0.6 and what would be the best position to have the socket in, on its side or up straight?

The Barrel will be used to hold Water, so while it isn't critical, I'd prefer it not to have any leaks when I've finished

Any advice would be appreciated

• IMG_5590.JPG
  2. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Why don't you go into a builders or plumbers merchant & buy a tank fitting, save you a lot of hassle.

3. Shoggi

Shoggi Member

Why don't you just drill it and put a tap on
    If it's just for water

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. piman Member

Hello Arcangel,

I don't know if you can but if I had to do that I'd braze it.

Alec

5. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Just looked in Screwfix, there you are, just the job.
    image.png

6. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi Guys

The Tank Connector idea, is something I considered but I want the Barrel Standing up on its end, which would mean the Tank Connector would be in the Curved side of the Barrel, in which case it may not be a Water Tight fit, like it would be if I put it on the Flat end

7. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

If you can get inside to fit a tank connector just put a flat block in side and beat it flat against it where the connector fits, you only need a small area to get a seal I've done it quite a few times.

8. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi Paul

What I omitted to mention was that the Barrel will be sitting on top of another Barrel, which will be turned into a Burner to Heat the Water in the Barrel which will be sitting on top, so any rubber seals are going to melt

9. Kayos

Kayos Member

Tank connectors work fine on curved surfaces, just use a good washer, an Essex flange is designed for a cylinder and they are not curved

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  10. Kayos

Kayos Member

Seals will hold at 100 deg

11. brightspark

brightspark Member

have fun welding it with a mig :)easy to gas weld with oxyacetylene with different thicknesses of metal or braze it in

12. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, an essex flange is the ideal solution, great thing is you dont need access to the back to fit one, the £15 or so to buy one might put some off though, when compared with welding on a 2 quid socket.

13. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Use fibre washers as used in water systems the world over.

14. Kayos

Kayos Member

While this is a welding forum, welding is not always the answer.......

hunter27, Parm and MCKDAVID like this.
  15. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Malleable iron can be prone to cracking around the edge of the weld area.
    If I was going to do this I would braze. Or use bolts and a flange or tank fitting.
    You might get lucky with a weld it all depends on the makeup of the fitting.

16. dannyp Member

id just weld a hydralic fitting in they weld just fine and have bsp threads on them

Arcangel likes this.
  17. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi Guys

Just had a look at an Essex Flange on ebay and one was not far short of £60 with some around £15-£20 so maybe I'll try with a normal type Tank Connector and see how it goes, the thing I am Constructing is for an Outside Off-Grid Hot Water System, so its really no big deal if it leaks a bit but if it works how I'm hoping then it will be worth investing in a proper Essex Flange

Thanks for your Help and I'll try and put up some photos if/when I get her up and running

18. Arcangel Member

Ipswich Suffolk
    Hi That sounds a Great idea!

There is a Hydraulic Shop down the road from me, so I'll ask them if they have one to fit the Brass/Bronze connector in my Photo but would you Weld it in with 0.6 or 0.8 ?

19. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

thats an ackward way to go via a 2 barrel system

how much water are you intending to heat and how much wood consumption do you want to go through doing so ?

20. mechman Member

Didn't think malleable fittings were much good for welding, can you use a steel socket instead?

Arcangel likes this.
Advertisements