What size of supply does this unit need?

1. tom2207 Member

take the welder and plug it in some where that has a good supply , ie 63 amp , and then you will know that its not at fault , as per a lot of posts ago , the welders probably drawing all the current you have to feed it with , just to run the electronics and fans etc , not leaving a whole heap to weld with.

2. 222Parsons New Member

It's the RCB's tripping in the house or garage in no particular order, the MCB's haven't tripped at all. The garage install is only a few months old so I'll get that checked out.

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

what size cable is over to the garage probably 6.0mm on a 40 amp breaker. well adequate to run the welder .its earth leakage that's causing tripping

hunter27, tom2207 and daleyd like this.
  4. tom2207 Member

any gain in plugging the welder in on a house socket ?

5. Neilj Member

That what made me ask if it had got wet, it may have just been tested but if it's got wet since that won't help. Failing that, yes possibly a fixed wiring issue as you suggest. If it was just one RCD tripping then maybe a suspect RCD, but if the house AND garage ones trip then that sort of rules that out.

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

trips may be rated at 30 ma but they will trip at a lot less. if it becomes 15 ma constant leakage plugging kettles and electronic gear can take it over the top and trip at less than 30 ma . I use a clamp milliammeter to check leakage on the supply if it cant be picked up using the megger it would be preferable to have a 100ma timed delay rcd back at source and the 30 ma in garage if it cant be solved after testing everything as last resort :)

7. 222Parsons New Member

Correct it is a 6mm 3 core armoured.

brightspark likes this.
  8. 222Parsons New Member

Definitely not got wet.

9. 222Parsons New Member

Quick update, got a 32A supply installed and it worked faultessly for about an hour... then it cut out and the fan stopped. The unit has power (the backlight switch is on), but the torch is dead...
    Can somebody guide me though major components so I can check them out and hopefully identify the culprit?

Manh thanks
    Andrew

10. johnyev Member

no reply in four months, I wonder if you have got it sorted and if so, what was the problem?

Advertisements