What size Coupling/Thread ?

1. demented Member

UK
    If of interest; the final product fitted, complete with compact elbow. Screenshot_20190611-162600.png Screenshot_20190611-163144.png

I would have preferred the Tap be Red rather than Green but suppose I could paint it.

2. carbon

carbon Member

May be a daft question but what’s the need for a tap/ valve as the quick release coupling is self sealing. Brightspark needs the valve as his couplings don’t self seal

brightspark likes this.
  3. melle Member

@demented, I like the compact elbow! I personally wouldn't be too fussed about the colour of the tap. I would prefer to have the coupling pointing down though, if at all possible.

@carbon, I use Euro couplings, which are supposed to be self sealing but always hiss. My father in law's compressor has PCL fittings, which are hardly any better.

Hopefuldave likes this.
  4. demented Member

UK
    @carbon, as for the Tap, the compressor came with one as standard, which looked fragile, so I just replaced it with one which was more robust but now you've pointed it out and due to the Quick Release Coupling, maybe I didn't need it.

@melle, yeah, I can have it pointing down but it's much easier to connect to in the slightly upright position; is there any reason why you'd prefer to have it pointing downwards ?

5. melle Member

I want it pointing downward just so it's out of the way and nothing can catch on it. Maybe your workshop is less messy than mine. ;) It also gives the internals of the coupling a better chance of staying free from grinding dust etc. I think

6. demented Member

UK
    @melle, I've pointed the valve towards the compressors tubular handle, which kinda sheilds it and I don't do that much grinding but thanks for your insight.

7. carbon

carbon Member

I used to have that issue with the genuine pcl female couplings. I now have a mixture of 'pcl' and euro fittings but Im using rectus couplings now without any issues

8. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

9. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

One good reason for a shut-off valve behind the coupling is it's a lot easier to connect when there's no line pressure and avoids straining the bits and bobs the coupling's connected to on the compressor, especially the Chinesium castings.
    I put lever valves on the end of my tank for reason of easy connection, but also to avoid loss of system air through leaks if I'm not using the main ring.

Advertisements