What size Coupling/Thread ?

1. demented Member

UK
    Anyone know the Coupling size of both sides of Clarke Ranger Compressor Shut of Valve/Tap (shown below) which, I want to replace but with a different Valve/Tap.
    IMG_20190606_111130360.jpg
    Within the Clarke User Manual it mentions 1/4BSP; so, I understood the smaller Male thread to be 1/4 BSP and the bigger end 3/8 BSP ?
    The Male PCL Snap Connector, I assumed had 3/8 BSP male end ?
    IMG_20190606_111308341.jpg

I've bought a 3/8 BPS double Female Shut off Valve and a Male 3/8 to 1/4 reducer, which are all too big; so trying to clarify size required before I re-order.

Any idea ?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

BSP Thread Sizes = Actual sizes in Metric
    1/4 =11.8mm
    3/8 = 15.25 mm
    1/2 = 19.00mm

Hope that helps

roofman and Hopefuldave like this.
  3. demented Member

UK
    Thanks for your reply and yeah, it's good to know the actual thread sizes and will come in handy no doubt; but it's the BSP size I'm trying to identify.

Thanks again

4. MoreWellie Member

@demented maybe you should read Ashleys post again

he has given you the metric equivalents for the outside threads of the common BSP connection sizes.

if you slap a mic (or a ruler) across the threads on your fittings these should help you identify your BSP thread sizes

5. carbon

carbon Member

@Ashley Burton the sizes that you have quoted are tapping drill sizes rather than the male thread dimensions. Look for a male bsp thread chart for metric equivalents

6. demented Member

UK
    Thanks for replies and much appreciated..
    As for measuring; the new valve and reducer are sealed in semi transparent plastics bags and as I'll be returning, either for a refund or exchange, I don't won't to open the bags.
    Although I have photos on my phone, the original shut off valve and snap connectors are with the compressor in the garage and not with me.

I think I've worked it out though.
    The smaller thread on the original shut off valve, dipicted in the photo and on the left, is actually 1/8 BSP.

So I require a 1/4 to 1/8 BSP Male Reducer and a Double Female 1/4 BSP Shut Off Valve.

7. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Yes you are correct!

My mistake, But those measurements will give you a good enough idea of which is which

8. melle Member

Yes, that's very common on smallish compressors. I replaced a similar shut off valve with a ball valve recently, I can take a pic later if that helps.

9. demented Member

UK
    Yeah, that'll be good, if not too much trouble.

Although, I've just ordered a new 1/4 Female shut off valve and a 1/8 male reducer from Rs Components.

10. melle Member

I've installed a ball valve-connector assembly like below on a few compressors, this one had a 1/8 BSP outlet on the regulator. I make sure connectors and valve levers don't stick out, so cables, trousers etc. won't catch on them. I also replace the "drains" (or crud collectors rather) with 3/8 ball valves and a hose barb with about 1' garden hose, and add a cheap car oil filter as an intake filter.

For below assembly I used male/ female 1/8 BSP elbow> male/ male 1/8-1/4 adapter> female/male 1/4 ball valve> female 1/4 euro connector. I normally use whatever I have in the workshop, but this compressor followed me home recently from @Wozzaaah HQ, so I had to buy new fittings as I couldn't find any in the fridge!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. merckx Member

Newcastle
    Have you noticed much of an improvement in reducing the compressor noise with the oil filter?

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

pretty restricted air supply with those size fittings :)

eil likes this.
  13. melle Member

No, not on direct drive compressors. The pistons/ rings love it though!

This one, as many compressors, came with a 1/8 BSP outlet from the factory, the original tap had a bore of about 4-5mm I think. I don't see how my fittings, which all have a bigger bore, reduce the air supply?

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

there a poor idea from the factory . specially on air tools .the outlet filter regulator is small bore . its far better taking a larger bore filter reg directly off the end of the tank if there is a plug fitted which most have heres one of mine the other end of the tank has an outlet as well fitted with a half inch bsp filter regulator

• DSCF0958 (1).JPG
  15. melle Member

I've never found the small bore outlets too restrictive for what I use air compressors for. I have a different compressor for my blast cabinets though with a 3/8" bore outlet iirc (could even be 1/4"), works just fine.

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

I use 15 mm bore pipe on my small blasting gear and 3/4 on the larger one. 3/8 th will be ok on the 3mm jet pot but 1/4 is noticeably more restricted on cfm and loss of power

17. melle Member

I only have two small cabinets.

[​IMG]

8ob likes this.
  18. brightspark

brightspark Member

they will be fine on suction guns. but pressure pots use a fair bit of cfm :)I have a suction gun as well . used an original one as a pattern and cast it in aluminium and knocked one up :laughing:

• DSCF1020 (1).JPG
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  19. melle Member

I believe you, but that's not very relevant here as we're discussing small DIY compressors. ;)

brightspark likes this.
  20. demented Member

UK
    melle.... Thanks for the photos and the insight, food for thought, I didn't think of adding the elbow; will now.
    Yeah, current outlet protrudes too much, hence why I'm replacing, due to similar experience as yourself.

Advertisements