What shade lens should I be using?

1. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Yes, speedglass will turn itself off after 30 mins...(give or take)

2. Rich S Member

John, no offence taken. When I turned forty a couple of years ago, I noticed I had a harder time seeing up-close so I went to the optometrist and yes, I do need to ware reading glasses. I also noticed that I need more light than I did when I was younger.
    What I suspect is happening is the arc is too bright and my eyes can’t adjust for it. I want to try a darker shade so the arc doesn’t overload my eyes and hopefully I’ll be able to see what I am doing. I think a lighter shade will just make things worse. Well that’s my theory anyways.
    Thanks, Rich

3. English Steve

English Steve Senior Bumpkin

Oh and don't forget, for us more mature types, cheater lenses are available with various dioptre values to fit in some buckets.

4. jrmig Member

Gatwick, UK
    You wot? ;) I think I need a translation :laughing:

John

5. English Steve

English Steve Senior Bumpkin

Sorry John - inner lenses with a magnifier built-in. Various magnifications are available to suit (roughly) what you need/want. Means you can weld without having to wear expensive prescription glasses which may/will get damaged.

6. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    thats a good idea

7. gavuk

gavuk artful-bodger

uk wiltshire
    my use of a cheater lens causes Wozz a lot of amusement ,but before i had a reactor helmet i struggled a lot with low amp tig (30amp)as it doesn't produce as much light as arc or mig ,with a reactor i use glasses ,as i don't think there are cheater lens that fit,at least the parweld cheapy i bought :whistle:

8. jrmig Member

Gatwick, UK
    Cheers for the explanation Steve - makes sense.

Actually I just use a cheap pair of over the counter glasses which for me do the job perfectly.

John

9. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    but its fun when you mate with 20 20 uses your mask!

Advertisements