What shade lens should I be using?

1. Rich S Member

Hi guys. I’m mig welding with a shade 9 helmet. I’m having a tough time seeing the weld. I’m trying to look at the molten pool just behind the arc but I wonder if the arc is too bright and my eyes are being affected by it. Would a darker lens be better???
    Thanks

2. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    what current are you using?

3. dannyweld Member

london
    hi, what amps are you doing.

4. shade 10 or shade 11 is considered a good general purpose shade. if low amp TIG or Mig (car body) then shade 9 is ok. On big amperage (more than 250amps) i would go shade 12

5. Rich S Member

I'm using a Lincoln 180T Tapped at (D), so my guess is 150 amps.
    Thanks

6. dannyweld Member

london
    i use a 11 shade whether i tig at 80 or mig at 250. maybe 9 is a bit weak. different manufactures seem to have different colors (clear, green etc) with their shades. maybe you should try a few out and see what you like.

7. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Ambient light will make a difference, working outside or in sunlight, you'll need a lighter shade, but as a guide have a look at the bottom of this page

8. Richiew Tungsten Sharpener

Get a spot lamp or other light pointed directly at your workpiece. It helps loads.

9. Rich S Member

Thanks guys…I’ll try some different shades too see what works best for me.
    I also might try and get more light on the part and see if that helps. I have some high output LED’s that I use for biking at night that should fit the bill.

10. jrmig Member

Gatwick, UK
    Here a thought for you to think about and please don't be offended by this, but how are your eyes?

I'm of the age (46) where my eyes are not as good as they once were and like most blokes I lived in denial for a couple of years (more like five or six) before seeing the optician:ashamed:

Now I've got some reading glasses but at first it never occurred to me that they may help with my welding. I just assumed it was normal to pull the trigger and hope for the best and not see too much of the process :whistle:

One day I left my glasses on and what a revelation! I didn't realise welding looked like that and it improved my welds 100 percent. ;):welder:

I don't know if it's recommended to use glasses under your welding helmet but its certainly helped my welding and its probably better for your eyes than using lighter and lighter shades in the hope of seeing more clearly.

Just a thought.

John

11. English Steve

English Steve Senior Bumpkin

I have no choice:laughing::laughing: (I'm also 46:( )

12. dannyweld Member

london
    you have to be carefull with contacts, that you dont melt them onto the old eyeballs!!

13. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Urban Myth!

14. dannyweld Member

london
    from bethlehem steel, USA, 1967. your right it is a myth.:clapping:

15. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

I'm on 11 too usually...but i can adjust it if i like (speedglas)
    9 is a bit clear i guess...

16. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    mine was set to 7 (lowest) the other day somehow, someone must have been messing with it, near blinded myself!

17. Sparkey

Sparkey Bouncing along!

Yeah, that just hurts! my speedglas has an on-switch....f'ing surprise when you forget to put it on...:o:o

18. simon718

simon718 needs to stay off ebay

Norn' Iron
    if you don't turn mine on it just stays dark thankfully :laughing:

19. Archie Member

UK
    Done that a few times when I'm in a hurry. Stabbed at the button, missed, not realised and stuck it on my bonce! Or come back to it after it's gone off and started using it.

20. madkayaker

madkayaker Pro sparkey Pro Welder

Cumbria
    mines set about 9

Advertisements