What mig wire??

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Not sure if it is the same with steel or not as I never use it. With Aluminium however you often only get 6kg per reel with the cheap crap but with likes of Esab or EWM you get 7kg, that makes it not much dearer than the likes of Super6.

2. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Some manufacturers make sure you get 15Kg of wire, whilst some include the weight of the spool. I cant remember the plastic spool weight but I seem to recall it was about 400g.

3. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

The full name is SIF WELDABILITY.......so its the same.........tbh the best is Lincoln, Esab and Bohler (but only the German made)

mike os likes this.
  4. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Thanks Al, useful info. So much is rebadged stuff, I was looking at Cheltenham welding supplies as well, they do some called Excalibur, but looking at the label I think it’s bought in & rebadged. I bet they won’t tell me who makes it.

5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

never heard of Excalibur wire........just had a google.....all the specifications are American, so its probably Chinese.......Its so easy to get it self branded from China that every distributor has their own brand....Actually Lincoln USA make stick electrodes called EXCALIBUR so I assume they have registered the name....surprised someone hasnt had a letter.

6. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

It is a good product.

Its NOT uncoated, but it is UNCOPPERED or not Copper Plated or however you want to describe it........If it was just the raw steel surface it would rust almost instantly so it has to be passivated either by passing thorugh Phosphoric Acid (phosphated) or through Sulphuric Acid (sulphated)......there are pros and cons to all 3 but if it suits you, thats the best choice

metalmelt and mike os like this.
  7. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

What are the benefits of phosphate and sulphate coating over copper?

8. Hood

Aye but this is the actual wire or at least I think it is. Will have to weigh a spool of Esab wire and see but not going to buy some Super6 to just weigh it :D
    You do notice the difference though when you pick it up, that was in fact how I first noticed and when I looked the Esab wire said 7kg on the box and the Super6 stated it was 6kg.

mike os likes this.
  9. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

They actually passivate so better at keeping rust at bay........actually the copper plating has to be done at very high speed so the coating isnt perfectly continuous....there are holes through to the steel.......

Munkul and mike os like this.
  10. mike os

so a better choice if you don't use loads?

11. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

probably...if you leave it out in the shop

the downside is that it has a tendency to clog liners but if you dont use much

mike os likes this.
  12. mike os

Interesting stuff

13. metalmelt Member

This is the issue people never see Paul, costs; accountants see them and ask questions.

You pay £20 for a 15Kg spool, you use two spools and the third one jams so useless, therefore you are actually paying £30 per spool plus extra costs for contact tips and the additional wasted time in unjamming clogs or birds nests and your production rates drop; believe me accountants do notice this which makes this an excellent post.

14. Hood

Weighed some Esab 5356 and as you can see the wire must be at least 7kg, will have to weigh an empty spool to see how much that weighs :D

ScreenHunter 933.jpg

Advertisements