What mig wire??

1. gerrymoore

gerrymoore CNC expert (well, getting there!)

I don't use a lot of wire but I'm coming to the end of my 5kg 0.8mm wire and want some more.

Checking on EBAY I've seen prices from £12 right up to £32 for a 5kg roll ...what's the difference ...couple are around the £20 mark with free next day delivery...... help please :dontknow:

2. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

ebay is a rip off... Use Weldtech or other proper distributor and you'll get a branded product and avoid lining ebay's pockets.

You get what you pay for with MIG wire. Brands like Esab, Lincoln, Bohler, Elga make very high quality wires.... most of the rest comes from China and the quality varies from just ok, to terrible.

It generally all welds fine when there's no corrosion, but a good quality copper coated wire stores better for longer, I've found.

tom2207, metalmelt and stuvy like this.
  3. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

try grahams machine sales in chester they have a welding shop next door where the old fastenings counter used to be

stuvy likes this.
  4. gerrymoore

gerrymoore CNC expert (well, getting there!)

OK thanks guys...I've usually just used Machine Mart without any problems ...I normally work with new thin (2mm) steel and a lot is just a quick spot type weld for my 'sculptures' ...I'll try Grahams as advised.

tom2207 likes this.
  5. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

When a roll lasts a long time, you want good results, Cost is irrelevant (within reason) I always stick with my two favourites, EWM or Lincoln, You cant go far wrong in choosing the leading welder makers own wire, I have also found that the leading makes are more resistant to wire rusting when left unused for a while.

metalmelt, gerrymoore and stuvy like this.
  6. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

You could also try Clwyd welding supplies near Airbus in Broughton

daleyd and stuvy like this.
  7. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Mersey Equipment next to the tram station in Birkenhead Gerry...ask for Kevin on the counter;)

gerrymoore and mike os like this.
  8. grim_d

grim_d Unlikeable idiot.

I had Lincoln, then I went super 6, then back to Lincoln.

Make of that what you will.

gordon stephenson likes this.
  9. Robert.

Robert. Member

I like that Esab uncoated wire , it's much less spattery than anything I have used before .

10. Mark 2

Mark 2 Forum Supporter

I have indeed made of that what I would.

grim_d and DavidL like this.
  11. metalmelt Member

Bit optimistic with the "just OK".

12. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

Not really. The cheap super6 and siftrode wires work just fine... I've even had a stainless pipe WPS qualified with siftrode, including all mechanical tests etc. Only once mind, and I made sude they had better brands the other times!

Before I started buying consumables for work, I remember we used to get a lot of super6 wire in, and it did a lot of fabrication... but I still remember the guys pulling layers off reels that had gone rusty inside the welder... in a dry, permanently heated workshop... some reels were just dodgy.
    Never had that problem with Lincoln, Esab or Bohler. Not even in my home workshop, where I'll make one 15kg reel last nearly a year in an unheated, uninsulated workshop.

So yeah, it works, but the consistency of expensive wire is worth it, to me anyway.

metalmelt likes this.
  13. highseas Member

i like bohler for my wire and stick welding if i really cant get that ile use sif... but for what £25 quid for good stuff that lasts 2-3 gas bottles is nothing

14. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

as above good brands are better, I got a roll from boc (15kg) works great.

15. Lincoln every time. It gets left in the machine for months between use and so far has never failed.
    I've bought it from Welequip and a Lincoln dealer (can't remember who), 0.8mm was about 20 quid last time I bought some.

16. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Reading Munkul’s post, is SIF wire poor? I’ve got a roll of it, just assumed it’s an old established name it would be good.

17. tom2207 Member

I still put a squirt of acf 50 on a roll if im leaving it for a while ,, no rust and never seems to bother the first few welds either , then again Im not doing anything structural .

18. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

SIF dont produce. Its bought in and rebadged. The problem is that they often buy from whoever is cheapest so the make can change

metalmelt, Cobbler and tom2207 like this.
  19. Welderpaul

Welderpaul Moderator Staff Member

Expensive stuff! We pay 20 odd quid for 15KG spools of Lincoln 1.2mm SG3. Never had a bad spool of Lincoln Supramig in the 7 years we've used it. Used to use Nexas junk. Every third spool jammed up or snagged. No issues with the wire as such, just the way it was wound meant it overlapped and jammed. Used about 3 tips to a spool.:laughing:

metalmelt, Munkul, TechnicAl and 2 others like this.
  20. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Thanks for that Al, I’ll remember that next time I buy some. Our local place keeps Weldability wire, any thoughts on that please

Advertisements