what is it ?

1. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Used mine in August.
    You still find a lot of Metal sheathed cable in the fire industry
    Plus in fuel depots.

But it is a dead art, as now any dead cable is replaced with ne FP200 fire alarm cable.
    But I must one of the few who still can do it.

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

petrol pumps are all wired in it using flameproof motors
    what I used to do was buy the metric brass pots slightly smaller and re thread them unf and screw them on to the imperial pyro :laughing:worked a treat

gordon stephenson, dobbslc and 500e like this.
  3. brightspark

brightspark Member

doing literlay hundreds of them over the years I only ever cocked one end up :(when the cables were made off you had to identify and sleeve the cores and test them for shorts. nowadays you use a test meter in them days you were given a bell and a battery with leads to test. it rang when you identified the cores .:laughing:that where the saying comes from bell it out :)

4. dieselsamurai

dieselsamurai Too many projects not enough time!

I reckon ive had it for 20+ years and never even wondered what it was till now, Ive inhereted 3 lots of tools over the years my grandads my dads and unfortunately my brothers recently probably got 2 or three boxes i still need to look through

5. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

We had one sparks use a stuffing gland on an end once, I don't know how long it lasted :laughing:

brightspark likes this.
  6. brightspark

brightspark Member

ive seen cable cut back sleeved and a blob of silicone over the ends in to stuffing gland it would probably last for donkeys years if it wasn't disturbed

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

cheapskate firms wouldn't buy the proper tool .just a length of 6mm rod with a bent handle with a slit in the end that you peeled the outer sheath off similar to a corned beef tin opener :vsad:

Anguz and ronan like this.
  8. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I remember doing some that were an inch diameter! They would cut you to bits on the strippings!

brightspark likes this.
Advertisements