What 3D printer...

1. ukracer Forum Supporter

Ah I never saw you had changed tube....lots of fake capricorn tube around to compound the issue.

When I had my issues had had used up all the working filament.....the new stuff gave me problems. Now it's my go to filament..lol IMG_20200810_111813.jpg

brewdexta likes this.
  2. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    Changing the spring fixed it, looks like they put the wrong spring in the box. Filament now not looking like a tapeworm when it comes out of the extruder, however the new shiney direct drive kit has arrived so will be putting that on if I get time today.

ukracer, Screwdriver and Seadog like this.
  3. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I get the impression these models can be a little bit like a "bitsa". Bitsa this bitsa that, hey presto, Ender 3X. No such model really, more of a bundle. So I doubt they all come from the same place, have the same materials, components, suppliers or config standards. I thought that when I first looked in the box and I think I "got lucky" with a well made, properly assembled model but I still went around and checked everything just in case (to be honest, not checked my spring!).

I did have to square up the frame slightly to stop it wobbling but that's a minor point. I still think this is such a bargain it's almost a steal. Printing out an iPhone desk stand (Thingiverse) but still determined to crack on with Fusion. I have to be able to make my own models because the value in having this type of system is all about bespoke small parts manufacture.

ukracer and brewdexta like this.
  4. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

I totally agree with your thoughts about Fusion. I’ve been “designing” small things like brackets to hold my razor and toothbrush, plugs for discontinued double glazed door hinges, a wood drill stand, bread knife V block so it doesn’t rattle round the drawer..... All things that are small but give me practice in the use of Fusion and the thought process that goes into designing something made by an additive process rather than taking a lump of some material and carving it away.

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I am still struggling with Fusion after a brief, hopeful revisit with Sketchup (and meshlab) but no, those things are hopeless for 3d design/printing. The only thing I know about fusion is you can't go in blind and work out how to use it, you have to learn it and bend to its will.

6. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Precisely Malcolm.

7. ukracer Forum Supporter

8. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Soon find out how strong. The cast aluminium version of this broke, Velux window opener.

[​IMG]

They are available as spare parts (I think) but I had one here so - my first solid print. 100% fill and I'll mount it on the telescoping pole later. I then need to send it to a friend and if it survives MyHermes, it should last forever.

Great example of how 3d printing can usurp traditional manufacture because I sat an looked at this for ages trying to work out how to fabricate a replacement. Lightness was the sticking point. Lightness, strength, complex shape and dimensional accuracy. It took four hours to print but since I set it off last night, it really took no time at all...

Ruffian likes this.
  9. paulo1974 Member

Looking for a ebook for fusion 360, free if possible.
    I´m a total newbie on fusion360 and wanted to start exploring the program.
    Can´t find any free ebook. There are some videos but to take a look in the down times at work i need a ebook.

10. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Nice one. My Velux pole has been getting a real workout in this hot weather. I had wondered whether a 3D version would stand up to the job. Some of my high windows take quite a bit of grunt to open and shut so I will be very interested to see how yours stands up to the high (literally) stresses. Is it in PETG? I am pretty sure PLA would not be strong enough, even with 100% fill.

Is that a bit of elephant's foot on the top face? Presumably the sticky out bar had supports printed under it?

11. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Have you looked on the Fusion 360 site? https://www.autodesk.co.uk/products/fusion-360/learn-support?referrer=/products/fusion-360/learn-support

I wonder if the video tutorials could be downloaded?

Another thought is that because Fusion 360 is cloud based you do not actually have a saved version on your PC. Sometimes I open it to find it has been updated so an ebook, or any other dated learning material, will only refer to the version applicable to the date on which it was published. Make sense?

12. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London

No, it has a triangulated bracing section running along the back of the curve (like a molten Toblerone). The C section is flat. I just hope the added thickness doesn't interfere with the operation but it certainly seems strong enough. I do everything in PETG. It's virtually the only plastic I have tried, it works for me and I'm not sure what advantages I could expect if I was to shift to PLA. :dontknow:

13. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

I just looked at my Velux hook and it seems to be a C section steel ring, plastic coated. There's certainly no "give" in the hook, which explains why I can give it some welly opening the high windows.

IMG_2090.JPG

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Well for completeness sake:

The offending article.

[​IMG]

Print lines up perfectly.

[​IMG]

Epoxied and pop rivet.

[​IMG]

Not the strongest of riveted jobs (I really should have fitted a washer!) but I reckon the fixing exceeds the strength of the part.

Ruffian likes this.
  15. ukracer Forum Supporter

Did you find that on thingiverse?

Screwdriver likes this.
  16. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

Right, i can see the strengthening web around the circumference. Nice one.

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Yes but incredibly, it's also a CAD file on Velux website. I don't think they want to sell you one but have a sort of responsibility to at least make them available.

ukracer and brewdexta like this.
  18. paulo1974 Member

i need a offline ebook so i can understand the layout of the program. I think that part won´t change a lot.

19. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It will change before the book gets to print. Even many of the online tutorials are referring to older (step change) versions of Fusion. I suggest you learn by doing. I made my first Fusion model by following a tutorial (how to make a box) and changing the parameters to the required values or sometimes flicking to an alternative tutorial. Even then, finding the precise button to press to enter the correct mode or page layout was tricky. Owning a "copy" of the information does not store it where you really need it, inside that fragile skull... Learn by doing.

Bladevane likes this.
  20. brewdexta

brewdexta Forum Supporter

Yorkshire
    I think I'm getting the hang of printing now. Having a few issues is a good way of getting up to speed quickly :)

Just printed a raspberry pi 4 case for octoprint with a touch screen. I didn't need to add a brim to the base on this print, must have crept into my defaults on Cura by mistake.

20200814_120452-01.jpeg

It fits quite nicely, I'm just printing the base and screen support while writing this. The ribbon cable is for the camera so I can do time lapse and check the print remotely. The kids will love that.

20200814_134857-01.jpeg

The touchscreen is a cheap clone at £16 but there's a web interface to Octoprint any way so not 100% necessary. More for fun and a quick status view.

20200814_134907-01.jpeg

All the rest of the gear has arrived, posh direct drive extruder/hot end, new Bigtreetech SKR v2.0 32 bit main board, upgraded springs for bed adjustment, I think thats it. I won't be able to fit it for a few days as I have other commitments but will print as much of the bits I need as I can so will be ready to go.

Cheers
    Andy

Advertisements