Welding thin stainless with wood beneath

1. Mike B Member

Hey up,

I'm building a very fancy animal hutch and plan on fitting a stainless sheet metal roof. Most of the stainless sheet will be folded profile, similar to the fancy roofs you see on grnad designs made from sheets of zinc.

Where the folded sheets meet on the edges and at the front, I'd like to have the stainless TIG welded together for neatness and for durability. Downside it that the steel will be folded around a heavy ply sheet.

Is it possible to weld the 0.5mm stainless steel without setting fire to the ply beneath? It doesnt matter that the ply will get burnt a little during the process, but the steel needs to be welded neatly.

Due to the shape, theres no way the steel can be welded andthen the wood fitted at a later stage, the welding has to be done with the ply in situ.

Thoughts? Can it be done?

2. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Next to impossible to make a decent weld with the wood in contact at the back, it will just burn and contaminate the weld and make an almighty mess,

3. Mike B Member

Thanks for the quick reply paul, what if I placed a piece of metal between the two to shield the joint? I appreciate it'll still butn but the fumes wont contaminate the weld this way.

4. Paul.

If you can slip a thin piece of copper in as a shield then pull it out afterwards it will be fine, it will help a bit with distortion too, I use flattened copper pipe for these kind of jobs.

5. Mike B Member

I could slip a piece of copper in and leave it there. guess that'd work?

6. Ali

Ali Member

Would tinfoil be likely to contaminate?

7. Mike B Member

or aluminium speedtape

8. Paul.

Thats what I would do,
    Aluminium foil and tape will likely melt and cause you just as many problems as burning timber, also you have an increased risk of corrosion if you are leaving it in there, you may even be able to use a stainless shield but try to weld the joint without melting the shield strip.

mtt.tr likes this.
  9. Ali

Ali Member

You can get sticky back copper foil. In fact I’ve got some if you want a bit. Does it have to be thick?

10. Mike B Member

Guessing it'n need to be half a millimetre or similar, to shield effectively, without melting away and allowing the wood fumes through. I could as a router to cut a neat recess for the copper to sit. As long as the outside finish is spot on. Anyone in North Wales/ North West England fancy a challenge?

11. Tom O Member

Could you route the edge back a 1/4” so it doesn’t contact the stainless?

12. MoreWellie Member

Great to see such a serious discussion, sounds like it should be called Buckingham Hutch :laughing:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I was going to ask (in a Loyd Grossman voice) "Who's going to live in a house like this".

@Mike B There just has to be a build thread about this one. :thumbup:

14. Mike B Member

It started off as a "You're not paying £200 for a guinea pig hutch wen I could ubild you something better."

It's then turned into a palace, made from Sapele, twin walled, Insulated, with a twin walled insulated roof, hopefully with profiles stainless roof. As you do.

All joints will be wedged mortise and tenon, mesh is 316 stainless, all hardware is 316, floor is 12mm hardwood ply which is replacable. The outer walls are 14mm Sapele T&G profile.

It's turned into a labour of love which will no doubt end up as a talking piece! Hopefully it'll outlast us and will house many guinea pigs through the years, hence me wanting to do it right. Not convinced of my skill at welding 0.5mm stainless at a sensible pace not to torch the whole thing though, hence me hoping someone will take pity and help out!

I'm OK at the woodowork, but the welding is still a work in progress!

15. Mike B Member

IMG_1959.jpg IMG_1957.jpg IMG_1955.jpg IMG_1956.jpg

zx9 likes this.
  16. Mike B Member

The archway between bedroom and living room is a solid block of Sapele, CNC routered to shape. It'll be rounded to reduce the amount of chewing they might do. All cross members and legs are 70mm Sapele which will also be rounded. All latche will be hidden so they "dont spoil the look"!

It's getting a bit OCD at the moment but should look pretty cool when it's done. Hoping others onhere will appreciate the mentality of "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing right"

Parm likes this.
  17. Mike B Member

I could, but the idea of having the steel flat against the ply is that it makes it easier to form and it makes it less likely to dent or be damaged as it is braced from behind by the ply.

Parm likes this.
  18. premmington

premmington Member

I got fed up making animal hutches... Out of cheap meterials.

Last guinea pig runs I made - I went for - full marine ply (not exterior ply) - and had the roof skins - folded out of galv sheet.

I did not weld the corners - I folded an inner corner and glued the lot together with "roof and guttering" sealant.

I also did the "bedrooms" double skinned ply - cored with kingspan.

I keep looking at the Omelet Eglu stuff - it is expensive - but it does wash out with pressure washer - and would hope it would last a long while.

(Not sure if I could ever come up with £700 for a chicken coop thou).

Parm likes this.
  19. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

0.5mm is going to be a sod to weld without distortion unless you’re experienced, let alone with wood behind it.

Change the design.

Turbo, Parm and premmington like this.
  20. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Get her indoors to do her bit then, and knock up something like this using her skills with a sewing machine....:D

upload_2019-10-8_19-47-31.jpeg

Parm, Seadog and Mike B like this.
Advertisements