Welding instructor

1. Georgiegirl New Member

Hi just wondering how i can become an in house welding instructor.i have my city in guilds 1 & 2 and also pttls qualification. I need to know what qualifications i need to be able to get apprentices paper qualifications ect i hope you all get what i mean.

2. Parm

Parm Temporarily operating from the Devon Annex

Mmmmmmm

Should you not know what qualifications are required ?

Others will know better but C&G levels 1 & 2 are at the very basic end of the spectrum?

stuvy likes this.
  3. stuvy

stuvy Member

How long have you been welding?

4. tom2207 Member

To instruct with authority , and pass on information of value , you need credibility and confidence , both of these combine and command respect.
    When you have that , you can teach. But although technically you only need to be one page ahead of the students you will soon be sussed out if thats what happens and all respect will be lost , once that happens in a teaching situation things take a lot of turning about.
    Life is one of the best qualifications to enable you to teach,, you may be able to instruct , but without experience you cant teach especially something practical. just my 2p worth
    Without being nasty , in whats still a very male dominated industry you have to be twice as good as every man to be accepted as an equal , I know its not how it should be , but from my experience its very much how it still is.
    That aside to pass on knowledge in any field is very rewarding , its to be allowed to be part of the future in a way that will effect many well past your own lifetime and can be so rewarding.
    Many here will no doubt teach lots of things to many folk formally or informally , its really what forums like this are based on.

addjunkie likes this.
  5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Most teachers I know off, in education or "In House" in a business have a secondary teaching side.

You may need to look into that.

Why not ask with local places what they need, what and what experience?

6. northwest

northwest Member

Very wise words Tom and if you don't mind me saying so, a bit ideological. I know a couple of people on this forum who teach and though I have not been instructed by any of them I would think they would be very good teachers. In the academic world though, most teachers never left school and therein lies the problem.
    My view is the same as yours, you need to have real world experience and first hand knowledge to be a good teacher, something that you just cannot learn at a place of learning and study. Ironic really.

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

In The RN a lot of the instructors had just that.

It was also a very good way to understand the topic, was to teach it. But I found out that to teach the subject with confidence, you needed real world experience on the subject.

Wany, Nick67GT, mtt.tr and 1 other person like this.
  8. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

as above, to each you need to be able to gain respect from students, and to do that you MUST be confident in what youre teaching. C&G L1/2 are the very basic end of the welding training spectrum, and in my opinion do not provide enough experience/ability on their own to allow the holder to teach. by all means there are guys out there teaching witha C&G L2, but theyve also been in the industry for years and have the experience that comes with is.

I teach fab/weld to school leavers and adults alike, including C&G L1,2 and 3, and on up to apprentices, and its bloody hard

9. tom2207 Member

Dont mind you saying so at all ,,, Its really just a broad overview of how Ive found things to be in a practical skill led engineering environment.

10. Georgiegirl New Member

About 10 years

11. Tinbasherdan

what sort of welding, thats the important thing. if youve spent 10 years clagging cars together in a back street garage its a bit different to 10 years on structural multi position welding

pressbrake1, stuvy and Shedendman like this.
  12. Georgiegirl New Member

The thing is ive probably been welding full time about 10 years. Ive been at my work place for 7 of them and my boss gets me to go through most things including welding with the apprentices. It was my boss who asked if i was qualified to give out paperwork. I was just curious as to what i would have to do to be able to do this
    At the moment i just support them at work if they get stuck, as they will be attending college soon

Wany, Shox Dr and hunter27 like this.
  13. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    We (Ok, I) went through the whole journey a couple of years ago, getting company pipe welding procedures to BS EN ISO 15614 and our welders qualified to EN ISO 9606-1.
    Not that I was teaching, though! Our guys are way more skilled than I am. I just enabled everything - booking tests, managing materials, helping with problems, keeping the "talent" happy.

As I understand it, you will NOT be able to test and qualify them yourself, not officially. But you can get a UKAS accredited company to do that for you, they will witness the tests and arrange destructive and non-destructive tests, and issue certificates.
    We did one ourselves with a Royal Sun & Alliance inspector, but then decided it was easier letting TWI handle it all, with a bit more expense of course.
    I tell them what I want the material and range to be, and they suggest a test diameter and thickness that will qualify for the range, and write out the preliminary WPS as they see fit.

If you want to be the weld coordinator and the one who signs their prolongations, I would suggest you take a visual welding inspection course as a bare minimum. It depends what you're trying to do, and how much NDT you need, of course.

stuvy likes this.
  14. Tinbasherdan

you cant just hand out paperwork, your place of work would have to become an accepted training centre in order to be able to qualify people

pressbrake1 and stuvy like this.
  15. Georgiegirl New Member

Cool i did try to explain to my boss that it wouldnt be an easy thing to do and that i would try and find out what qualifications i needed and believe me i do understand how hard it is for a woman to get into welding im living proof. The place i work had never employed a woman before and it was well an experience to say the least to start off with but now im just one of the lads lol

garethp, Wany, Seadog and 3 others like this.
  16. Tinbasherdan

i think theyre on a hiding to nothing, unless they want to run a training centre as an add on to the business

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Put it this way to become an CSWIP Welding Instructor, you need to submit two plate and two pipe test pieces in fixed position in at least two processes. Plus written tests.

to become a CSWIP master welding instructor it’s something like two test pieces in plate and pipe in three different material groups.

I’ve met one guy who was a CSWIP master welding instructor. Alan Machin. Blimey can he weld and a brilliant teacher with more stories than there is time to tell.

pressbrake1, Wany, stuvy and 3 others like this.
  18. Feet 'n Inches

Feet 'n Inches Out of the rat-race at last

This made me think about, for example, sports coaches. In many cases these are people who may not have the talent and ability to make the top grade but what they do have is a sound knowledge of the job and are able to convey that to their trainees to get the best results. One thing I also learned when delivering speed awareness courses was to develop your own style. For me that was being exposed to working with many different trainers, some better and some worse than me. I was able to pick up many different training techniques and convert what appealed into my own words and style; in other words, I always tried to be myself.

Good luck.

19. tom2207 Member

as mentioned earlier though , with practical skills courses it wont be long before your expected to show some one something .... then what

20. The_Yellow_Ardvark

I wonder if the OP meant. In their workplace, to show the new people enough to become confident. EG In house training.

I know when I did Lorry loader cranes, there was in house training. That deemed you confident in your tasks. But it was not official.

That will open a whole new can of worms.

Advertisements