Welder not switching on

1. Scad94 New Member

Hi there, looking for some advice. Purchased my mig welder some months ago during lock down (pacini pro mig 295). Being able to find little to no info on these welders and now it appears I have a problem. The welder is a 230v unit. For the first couple of months this welder was perfect and on the button. A couple weeks back I flicked the switch on and it hesitated to run, and when it did run the amperage/ volts/wfs would fluctuate -+ 2-3 digits for a while. The coming days this got slightly worse but really not unusable. Just give it a minute or 2 for the fan to kick in and the led screen to fire up. Seeing this ever so slightly deteriorate and have good days and bad days I sent it back to the seller as it was under three year warranty. The seller called me a few days later assuring me there was no problem and it could be my power source even though it worked perfect on the same source the months before. They even showed me a video of them using it etc. Then it was sent back to me. The issue was never really resolved so some days I would come in switch it on and wait 2 mins for the fan to kick in and it to run other days it would be 20 seconds etc. The welding with it itself was never an issue. This evening I switched it on and it refuses to run. It’s like it wants to and is trying to but just hasn’t got it in it. The fan turns but not nearly the full rpm and the lcd is stuck on 00.0 and is faint. I’ve brought the welder to a friends to make sure it wasn’t my power source and it makes no difference. Could someone please tell me if they would have any clue as to what’s going on with it because I’m starting to pull my hair out as I just want to weld with it. I’ll send it back again if needs be but I have a feeling I’ll just be told it’s fine etc. And waste another fortnight with no welder. I really would appreciate any input or advice and sort for my long winded post. Thanks

2. Tom O Member

Send them a video along with it or before it’s sent would be your best bet I would think.

3. Scad94 New Member

Done that last time, was just kind of brushed off as in “it’s still welding” and to be completely honest I’d like that sending it back again to be a completely last resort as I know they’re gunna tell me it’s a problem on my end

4. eddie49 Member

The Pacini is an inverter MIG, which means it's full of complex electronics and is unlikely to be an easy DIY, reseller, or dealer repair ( like a transformer-based machine would be ). It probably needs a new control board, which the Seller may not want to pay for and may be unable to fit.
    The fault seems to be intermittent, so if it was out of warranty I would suggest a first check inside looking for loose connections and badly-seated plugs on multi-wire harnesses between the boards. However:
    It sounds like they do not know how to repair it, or do not want to. Send it back and demand a replacement unit or a full refund.
    The unit has an intermittent power-up problem, once it succeeds to boot up it works correctly. Blaming your power source is nonsense.

5. Scad94 New Member

Thanks for that response. It’s a little bit encouraging to get advice from someone who knows what they’re talking about. It’s still in warranty, I’d imagine I am going to have to send it back. I’ve pulled a panel off to look inside but really didn’t want to poke and prod incase of voiding the warranty. Absolutely no doubt the seller does not have a clue on the replacement/repair of any module or circuit board, and I’d imagine it would be almost a direct replacement or full refund which is going to make things harder for me. I really did consider the power source thing bull.

6. Scad94 New Member

Also, the machine tends to make “click” noise a it attempts to boot up. Just thought it might be worth mentioning

7. brightspark

brightspark Member

a simple cheap test meter will tell you the voltage at your plug either when the welder is not plugged in or when its in use there will be very little variation in voltage if all ok

8. Scad94 New Member

Had multimeter in wall socket to make sure can’t remember exactly but was around 230v. Didn’t check it with welder in though? How would I do that? As eddie49 said though. This is more than likely an intermittent problem

9. brightspark

brightspark Member

check the voltage if its plugged in to a double socket welder on one plug test leads at the other just
    get someone to help then tell the supplier there's no fault on your supply then theres no argument from the supplier

Scad94 likes this.
  10. eddie49 Member

Inverter welders rectify the AC mains to DC, then smooth that with some large electrolytic capacitors, which reach 325v DC to run the welder.. On first power-up, a large current surge will be drawn to fill the capacitors, so a soft-start circuit limits the current to avoid this surge. This can be done by using a resistor, which gets bypassed by a relay after a few seconds, when the capacitors have charged. It is probably this relay that you can hear.

11. Scad94 New Member

Ok thanks for advice. Will just have to go down the long road of sending it back again

12. Scad94 New Member

Extremely sorry for annoying people, but switched welder on earlier for the sake. After a second or 2 booted up as normal. But extremely strange that when I attached ground cable into welder it started acting as it was yesterday and kind of reboot then. Then every time I would touch the clamp off anything it done it again. Back to flickering and lcd reading 0.00. Hadn’t even the stick holder attached? Just wondering if that would give anyone a slightly better idea of what’s going on? Would love to be able to back my argument up with the seller with some sort of speak

13. eddie49 Member

I cannot really explain what this additional strange behaviour means, except that it reinforces my opinion that the machine is broken and it's probably due to a faulty control board.
    Plugging in the work return cable, and clamping it on and off a workpiece could be changing the capacitance and resistance of the machine outputs to true earth, but by a tiny value. The Dinse sockets are the high-power welder output circuits, and they are normally fully-floating, isolated from mains earth. Connecting the return cable or the electrode holder should have no effect on the micro controller that runs the machine. There may be a decoupling capacitor on the low-voltage power lines in the logic circuits that has an excessive leakage, but again, the internal low-voltage power should be isolated from mains earth.
    There is an intermittent complex fault somewhere deep in the control electronics, which can only be solved by replacement of a major assembly, or the whole machine.

wacky7791 likes this.
Advertisements