Weld sounds wrong, but works very well?!

1. Pete.S.

Pete.S. New Member

The hiss comes from having the voltage set too high. You're looking for fast consistent buzz/crackling. Adjust the voltage until you have the fastest crackle sound.
    I don't think it sounds like bacon that much actually so I think that is misleading.
    You want it to sound like in this video:

Also how aggressive it sounds depends on the inductance of your machine. Some machines have adjustable inductance.
    Also as you increase the wire feed speed and voltage the sound becomes naturally more aggressive sounding.

2. pondy

pondy Member

Think most of my issue was in my head! Work provides me with a Lincoln power tec 191 which is a transformer based machine, I use it more than my own. I've discussed this with r tech and apparently inverter based machines like mine with stepless voltage controls are more subjectable to going into globular transfer. The odd sounds I'm hearing in the higher settings are the transfer from short circuit to globular, then we up the voltage globular to spray .
    Any tips to avoid going into globular transfer?

3. If you go into globular either turn the juice down to go into dip or wind it up to get into spray

WorkshopChris and pondy like this.
  4. Bsmith Member

If it's old and rusty steel you need to grind clean where you are welding, also where you attach the earth. There may also be rust inside the old box section which will crackle.
    I would say mig sounds more like tearing cloth than frying bacon.

OMV likes this.
  5. Pete.S.

Pete.S. New Member

Globular transfer is physics so it is what it is. As you increase both wire feed and voltage you will get into globular at some point. I don't believe for a second that transformer or inverter will affect it in any way. But there are other things that will.
    Going from pure CO2 to Argon / CO2 mix will make it better.
    Going from a smaller wire to a thicker wire allows you to put more amps in before hitting globular transfer.

6. Liquid Metal

Liquid Metal Member

Another thing that ive noticed to affect mig welding especially short circuit transfer, is the earth connection. Without a decent contact, it wont settle down and run nicely at all.

Morrisman and backpurge like this.
  7. Morrisman

Morrisman Forum Supporter

Glad to hear this, as mine sounds a lot more violent than any bacon I have ever eaten, yet puts down a good weld.

There are a couple of pages in the handbook that give speeds and feeds for each type and size of weld, but I notice they are the same numbers whether it is butt weld, lap weld or open corner........

8. indy4x

indy4x Forum Supporter

Guy, there is a chart in the RTec manual, if you haven't got it you can download from their website

Advertisements