Weld sounds wrong, but works very well?!

1. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    Hey guys. I finally managed to get out and use my new R-Tech 250 mig the other day and it's causing me a bit of confusion. At first I was just getting an arc that was more like a plasma cutter than a welder - so I messed with the wire feed and seemed to get it somewhat sorted. But now it's really rough sounding, like the wire feed is too high.

I got sick of trying and went over and got my neighbour who welds for a living. He came over, had a little play with it and started chucking out welds that I could only dream of making. They look perfect. But it still sounds wrong! It's crackling and spluttering like crazy and I've got to say, I've eaten a lot of bacon and it's never sounded like that when I've cooked it!

Any idea what could be wrong? I'm using a fairly decent .8mm wire with 5% CO2. The wire feed seems smooth but if I turn it down until it starts to sound closer to right it doesn't weld so well!

2. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

its an inverter...they sound different to transformer units. ive always noticed when watching jody or john use inverter units they always sound different to transformer units

3. Kent

Kent Member

It's always been a rubbish description imo

4. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Yeah unfortunately the bacon thing has kinda latched on but in reality they sound nothing alike. Frying bacon sounds like frying bacon and welding well!!!! Sounds like welding.

5. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

250 amps on tap yes?
    Get the voltage cranked right up leave the wire speed mid way. It should go into spray transfer. What does it sound like now. (Much quieter I hope).

doubleboost likes this.
  6. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    Thanks guys.

Just for the moment I don't have 250 amps. I've got it wired through a standard 13a plug adaptor until I can get my 32a feed up and running. I've got all the stuff I need - just waiting for my sparky to wire it up for me. So I'm stuck on about half power. I can't wait to crank it up and stick some thicker stuff together!

7. stanbester Member

Maybe gas? On saturday I tried my migatronic using 15% mix and it sounded so sweet at any settings that I just couldn't stop welding. Today connected bottle with 5% mix and it sounded different, not as nice as before.

8. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    I'll try a stronger CO2 next time. I'm 1/3 of the way down the bottle already - had the settings on the wrong set of numbers on the flow gauge! Oops...

9. Try and match the gas gas to whatever material thickness range you are welding otherwise you will just end up giving yourself another headache until you get the hang of what you are doing

10. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    I reckon at the moment I'll be welding mainly around 5mm. I've got a lot of old box section lying around that I'm sticking together before I scrap it. Would that be ok with the 5%? Or would I be better off with a bit more?

11. Kent

Kent Member

A light mix is about the best thing for a 250 amp mig on mild steel. Your upper limit without cheats is around 12 mm
    It will do all you ask of it
    That said all shops had co2 when I started it's isn't so kind but will also work and is sometimes a bit more capable on cheating a bit more performance out of a single phases on thicker stuff

zeppelin builder and Richard. like this.
  12. normspanners Member

northwales
    Check you earth connection My 180 seems to be very susceptible to having a good earth as with any mig but the inverters seem double'y so, maybe the fact everything is electronic and seems to happens instantly, I use mine with both co2 and 5 mix and mix always seems better/ smoother with it.

13. If everything you are going to be welding is going to be in that thickness range you will be far better off going for an Argoshield Univesal type mix which has 12% CO2 and 2% O2 in it, the higher CO2 level will increase the heat of the weldpool and improve things like fusion, penetration, surface appearance etc. The 5% mix is really designed for sheet metal work, that said many people do use it very successfully on thicker material

14. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    The truth is I really don't know what I will end up welding. A bit of everything I expect! That said, the machine also has an arc welding function, so it would make sense to steer the mig towards thinner material and get an electrode holder for the thicker stuff. I already have a little stick welding experience so that could be the sensible solution?

15. cianh91

cianh91 Member

5% is fine upto 5mm so use what you have for now change when your getting a new fill .
    I agree it's a description that is used way too often and is rubbish

16. PTvor Member

UK
    Yes, it's certainly worth having an electrode holder and some arc electrodes, so you can use the machine on heavier stuff when you've run out of gas or wire, or you have to weld in the wind or you are welding together something you can't clean properly or can't be bothered to clean properly. Depending on how you are fixed, for a quick one off it can be a lot faster to set the machine up for arc welding than MIG.

Anyway, stick welding is another string to your bow.

In my opinion R-Tech have made a mistake by not including a chart so that you can set the voltage and wire speed roughly for the wire thickness, gas and metal thickness before you start, and then you fine tune it.

17. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    I would have liked a chart. It would be a great help!

18. cliff366

cliff366 Member

Agree it does sound a little like bacon on a low volts for thin stuff soon as you go higher it's got a crackle but nothing like bacon unless the wife's cooking then it's crackle crackle beep beep beeep
    :scared:

19. njc110381 Member

Stroud, UK
    Definitely a much harsher crackle. But if it's supposed to be like it then fair enough. It could be the earth as some of the stuff I was welding had been sat around for a while and had a bit of rust on it. I'd cleaned the surfaces to weld but hadn't really thought of the clamp. That will most likely be it. My friend didn't really have enough time to talk me through it properly. I'll have to book up another evening of welding lessons when he's free.

As for letting the wife cook, in my case that's really not sensible. Her cooking is, well, about as good as my welding!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  20. pondy

pondy Member

Dragging this up,
    I've an r tech mig 180 and experiencing the same things, over setting 6 it just doesn't sound right, the bacon sound turns Into a more splutting hiss, kinda like spray but not at the same time. Adjusting the wire speed makes it better but alot more feirce at the same time. Can easily get it into spray when I max the voltages and wire feed. When the welds sound crap they come out looking good. I've watched doubleboost reviews and the arc sounds the same on that too. Splutting etc Might be normal?

Advertisements