weld better without gas

1. drgreen Member

so ive been playing n my migmate 105 getting quite good done some good projects,
    but i find it sticks somtimes like starts jolting kind of with wire that seems to burn off soon as its out leaving stuck wire allover my weld .. ive no idea why it happens somtimes i get round it and angles or playing with it etc.. (kind of the exact thing a bad earth does)

yesterday i got my welder turned on and did some welding, now the weld happened easy came out and did all my welds with no stick then baught ooh crap no gas , put gas on and it starts sticking on 8-10lmp
    and then my welds went from tidy to messy ???

it seems like i can weld better with no gas on? (though the weld is not smooth n shiny its dully and cheap looking) but seems to be easyer? am i using toomuch gas ? i cant wokrout whats going on here

2. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Are you using flux core wire? That's designed to be used without gas.

drgreen likes this.
  3. drgreen Member

4. barking mat

barking mat Member

No, really you need an inert shield.

5. Parm

Parm I have fun doing stuff

Gas is essential if if it’s not flux cored wire

6. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

id be looking at your liner as well this can cause juddering of your wire also by sound of it your having issues of burnback to the torch when it does weld properly if then your losing the wire its burn back then jolt as it reconnects and burnback once more
    also a wire speed issue

if its a sip migmate there not renowned for being good machines adaptions are needed to make them better

7. drgreen Member

i know thats why i cant workout why my welder works smoother without it :S

8. drgreen Member

this sounds plausable as ive leadmyself to wire tension etc, i found if i hold the metal tenstioner up a bit it works how its meant to but even at minimum setting no skrew in it seems a little tight,
    ive seen pleople say they have roller issues :S

any models ya can recomend to look out for on the bay ? only model i know any good is a lincoln and there a fortune

id go £150ish on 2nd hand machiene but somany makes n models il run into problems the same if i baught just any lol

9. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

If its a SIP they can be really s@@@ with the wire feed, try it with the torch stretched out straiht to ease the wire feed, also what gas have you got?

drgreen likes this.
  10. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

ive got both sip 150 gas and gasless model
    also a clarke 150 gas and soon to have a clarke 160 gas and gasless model

id suggest on here for some welders gumtree or ebay ebays gone greedy on them though also depends on where you live as your location dosnt show

if it did some members maybe be able to point you in the right direction or sort the problem

ive recomended clarke as good parts for them and most places stock them like your sip parts

used and new also with vat voucher, even at resell price they hold there own

ive also not had much trouble with my welder either in 3+ years of owning one from asking on the forums here

drgreen and Ian James like this.
  11. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

drgreen likes this.
  12. drgreen Member

im down linconshire,
    my gas i use it argon co2 mix
    £100-150 would be my aim atm, upgrade later in the year when i have a few hundred spare lol
    gumntrees a good place i use it alot, il get out on me welder n take a vid clip tomoro, as ive got a bit of work to do anyways

merry xmas btw :D

13. Ian James Member

The older SIP welders were ok I had a SIP autoplus 130 for in the region of 24 years used for repairing cars and making gates amongst other things I did convert to a non live euro torch when I sold it a couple of months ago it was still producing reasonable welds it only ever played up if you were welding at the top end of its duty cycle IMG_20171014_120011.jpg IMG_20171014_115841.jpg

14. henry Kadzielski Member

Good morning gents. My two cents only, but is the problem only happening on the starts. When I did my mig ticket we would always trim the end of the wire before starts and or restarts. When you stop welding there is a ball formed on the end of the wire, this ball requires greater current to melt it when it strikes the base material. By trimming the wire you get a clean bit of wire to start and it also is easier to melt off and for the arc. This is mainly a problem with lower powered machines using thicker wire

Arclikeharrypotter likes this.
  15. drgreen Member

Nah that's not the problem ...I'll show you when it stops bloody raining lol

Advertisements