Weird non logging limp mode (Freelander 2)

1. Gareth_16V Member

That's not necessarily true. Some faults will self-heal, meaning that a code is stored but the light on the dash doesn't come on. Certain overboost conditions trigger fail-safe or limp modes very quickly, underboost (as it's considered a safer condition than overboost) takes a long time to register as a fault.

Actuator position faults (stripped gears, stuck mechanism etc) would be stored as a fault code. I would definitely start with hoses (boost leaks, etc) before going too deep into the expensive bits!

Ashley Burton likes this.
  2. vw-al

vw-al Member

Hi, as a couple of others have said, replace fuel filter first and only fit a genuine LR one about £36, that’s all I fit on mine and replace every year (service item), I believe they have a small thermal valve in them that regulates the return line fuel back into the filter to warm up and then regulate the temperature of the diesel going into the engine, but the valve sticks and the fuel gets hot and performance drops.

Intercooler hose also splits at the front of engine above oil filter.

Don’t know if yours is auto or manual, mines auto , if the auto box has issues it can shut engine power down but shows no codes from engine, you have to read the codes from the box. I had this last year , A30-M5, 30 degrees, caravan on back lost all performance/power like limp mode, but with van on the back just ground to a holt, turned out previous owners garage had changed auto fluid and overfilled it, gearbox got to hot and shut down engine.

I have had all of the above with no EML light on, just occasionally get reduced engine performance.

The joy of land rover ! Just done rear shocks and full brake change only airbag light and door locks to go Hurrah :laughing::clapping:

3. bert

bert Member

I'm leaning towards the VNT sticking. My galaxy does the same but only when towing and is random but always have a fault code but would clear with ignition off/on

I have cleaned mine with Mr muscle though but not towed for any length of time since.

Was it raining when it happened as it could also be moisture in the canbus wiring.

4. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Don't forget people the op has stated this problem was there from new and wasn't found under warranty, so won't be anything you associate with wear like filters or split hoses etc

julianf likes this.
  5. julianf

julianf Member

That's what I was thinking. Lots of people (here and elsewhere) saying hoses - I guess maybe one might not be done up right or somthing.

It's not the vanes sticking. I used the golf as an example saying the error came as it crested the hill, so overboost as the vanes wouldn't reset, but this one is different and does not fit with that - the error came with steady driving. Ie not at the bottom of the (very long) hill, nor at the top (classic overboost error) but simply half way up.

I had been gently applying more throttle to maintain speed, but I would imagine that the turbo would have been being asked for maximum boost way before the point of failure, so I just don't feel that vane issues fit the symptoms well.

I mean it might be them... Who knows! I just feel somthing else would fit better.

6. julianf

julianf Member

Likewise fuel filter. I can't think in its many years of full service history that noone has done the filter.

It's never been run on any of my magic monkey juice either. It's got a known error which rules out exotic fuels. And a dpf.

7. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Try live data, look at maf sensor, my diesel Corsa has a problem in that the engine judders sometimes whilst driving steady and live data shows the engine load up and down with the judder but like yours it's not logging a fault but when I've replaced the alternator and air filter I had to remove maf both times and both times drove much better for a few days, so I intend to record some live data and look how the maf is performing

Advertisements