Warping of box section.

1. daedalusminos Member

I don't think mitres have done you any favours, think about it, a rectangle with twist is essentially just one of the corners out of true. That's simplifying things, but if you just used straight butts the distortion would have tended to just tilt an edge.

CEJM likes this.
  2. CEJM Member

Cheers daedalusminos. Next project is a workbench so I will use straight butts and see if that is easier.

3. CEJM Member

Whilst I am considering what to do with my pillar drill stand ai have started on my workbench. This time I used straight butts and so far there is no distortion.

If there is less or no distortion by using straight butts then I will redo my pillar drill stand. Bit more work and money but I like to get it as near perfect as possible.

• 84E61242-819A-426C-9139-93E618054085.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    Save your money for another project and write it off to experience, your pillar drill won't care if the base is a bit out.

Ed B, stuvy and BarrieJ like this.
  5. daedalusminos Member

The problem with straight butts over mitres is that you end up with the open box exposed. For something like a workbench you can use the legs to cover the opening....

IMG_20170508_184941__01.jpg

MaartenNL likes this.
  6. BarrieJ

BarrieJ Member

You could always use notched corners if you wanted to avoid open box section ends and didn't want mitres.
    Sorry about the illustration it was all I could find online.

images.png

MaartenNL likes this.
  7. stuvy

stuvy Member

Cut a square plug, weld it in and grind it flush

It really will give you a bit of practice making the patch up then grinding the welds out but not too much

MaartenNL and outofthefire like this.
  8. CEJM Member

Thank you everybody for your replies. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

The reason I initially didn’t want to use straight butts is indeed because of the open box ends. I bought a piece if 3mm strip and plug the holes. Hadn’t given the notched corner any thoughts at all.

daedalusminos and stuvy like this.
  9. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    They're just way too much effort for the end result and wastes steel. Just use your 3mm strip stick it on a magnetic square, a tack in each corner take the magnet off and weld it up. Grind your welds back and blend the edges of the cut end to match once it's painted you'll never know.

10. CEJM Member

Finished the base today. Either side of the gap will be a tool chest and the gap is large enough to store my welder. The front member is purposely cut as it also gives me the opportunity to sit at my bench if I am doing a job that needs a bit more concentration.

The bench will be topped with 4 175mm x 45mm wooden beams on top of which there will be a sacrificial 18mm board to give an even surface.

• BF5FA3AF-A2A3-4BF8-9610-F76B88EAC0BA.jpeg
    slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. CEJM Member

Finally all the welding is finished. Now it needs to have the worktop and toolboxes fitted.

This stayed mostly straight during welding. The only issue was the bottom warping a bit when welding the toolbox supports in. In the end I cut made a cut in the the rear box section and then forced the front section out with a bottle jack. After that I welded the cut back up and now it is square. Not the best way of doing it but as it is not structural it is not so much of an issue. Would probably have been easier to weld the front section in one piece and then cut the metal between the uprights out after all the welding was complete.

Next job is to finish the pillar drill stand so that can be moved of the old workbench. At least then I can swap workbenches and start cleaning ip the tools and garage. As work is getting busy at this time of year I expect that the swap will happen next year.

• C9C519AB-99A6-4CD9-88F5-BC6F4ECC7CDB.jpeg
    MaartenNL likes this.
Advertisements