Virgin compressor owner seeks experienced compressor owner to show him the way...

1. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    There are many different names and brands. I always had PCL19 which we all know as standard PCL. I converted to PCL XF which cost me a fortune. Screwfix is the cheapest place that you can go and collect. I did a bulk order with a supplier and got some good prices. One thing I would say I've noticed about PCL XF is in static situation sometime they need a quick twist or they can bleed a little. Never noticed that the PCL19

The probes cost pennies and there is a difference in buying PCL compared to the cheap one.

The PCL XF style is often referred to as a Euro but technically a Euro is a different fitting.

The Prevost couplings you mention are really nice, they are expensive but from a safety point of view they are the best.

PCL19 is probably the most common out there, I have convertors both ways which can be a simple as PCL coupling with a PCL XF probe screwed in it. I also have a short hoses with conversions on.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  2. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

Dammit, you caught me out! Think this was pre-coffee... :clapping:

Yes, I'd not have considered them if Archie hadn't shown me them yesterday.

3. Turbo Member

I would also recommend the euro/ pcl xf type couplings. Stay away from the parkside euro couplings as they are made of cheese! :mad:

On the other hand the swivel couplings are very useful, especially on items like spray guns & die grinders. An inline regulator is also great on the die grinder to control speed.

When I first set up my airline I used plumbers tape on everything & had loads of leaks! I redone everything with loctite 577 & leaks cured. Now I rarely use tape, loctite for everything. You can get it on ebay for £10 a 50g tube.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  4. Tangledfeet

Haven't thought about a die grinder... yet! Thanks for the advice on the regulator.

Have an inkling that I have some red Loctite somewhere... whether its 577 I'm not sure!

5. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

air hungry tools

die grinder
    drill
    belt/finger sander
    sprayer

BarrieJ likes this.
  6. Turbo Member

Very useful item, especially for grinding out & tidying bad welds - mine gets used a lot! :whistle:

They also produce lots of sharp fine slivers of steel, the type you can feel in your hand but cannot see! :rolleyes:

Buy the best one you can afford, the cheaper ones are less efficient & waste air.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. Turbo Member

I have an air drill & tbh it's only been used a few times to drill out aluminium pop rivets. I find a cordless battery drill better & more powerful.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  8. Bill Edwards Member

A good (emphasis on good) air drill is more compact than a cordless and at least as powerful.
    Try stopping mine and it would rip the skin off you hand without even slowing, but never really gets used as the cordless is perfectly adequate for most jobs and has no airline to drag around.

Cheap air tools rarely perform well and they really guzzle air.

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  9. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    I agree, I have a couple of Chicago Pneumatic air drills, both old but very deceptive. Very compact and loads of grunt, if I had loads of holes to drill and had easy access to air i would use them over my battery drill.

10. TigTigger Forum Supporter

Although PCL FX and Euro connectors are, I understand, technically not the same, although they look alike, are they interchangeable.

11. sardine

sardine Member

I hope your compressor finds the love and PSI it deserves.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  12. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

When more confident move onto the "never gettin' that off yer hons in time for dancin' tonight" stag red :D
    [​IMG]

MCKDAVID, Turbo, slim_boy_fat and 2 others like this.
  13. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Prefer my electric die grinder too.
    Only got a little compressor though but always felt underpowered in comparison

14. BarrieJ Member

Agreed, plus add in a shot blasting gun and a needle scaler. Our 3 phase 7 h.p x 270 litre twin would be running almost continually.

Tangledfeet likes this.
  15. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Whatever you do...don't buy a cheap brass barb connectors from eBay and hook your compressor hose up with that...:whistle:

Have you thought about moisture filters yet?

Tangledfeet likes this.
  16. Turbo Member

That was all we used on steam washers 25 years ago. Great at sealing, especially when hot but allowing you to dismantle it afterwards. Very similar to red hermatite & as you say, impossible to get off your fingers. This was back before decent nitrile gloves were available so my hands were often ingrained with black soot & red stag!

eSCHEn and Tangledfeet like this.
  17. Tangledfeet

Nope, PCL and Prevost connections on order; and I have thought about filtration - certainly once I install a ring main in the workshop if not sooner. Cheers!

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  18. Tangledfeet

Order from Spray Guns Direct arrived today so hooked it all up with some La-Co pipe thread compound from Screwfix, only air tool I have so far is a wee Prevost air blower.

Fear not avid readers; I made sure to connect up the hose in the right direction, like speaker cable, so the writing starts at the source end! :artist:

Hood likes this.
  19. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

watch out for aldi air blower comes on and off sales every now and again

i got mine last year for 10 quid

Tangledfeet likes this.
  20. Tangledfeet

Cheers - I bought this wee one with the hose, was only a couple of quid more;

prevost-air-blow-gun---green-_ebg07osh_.jpg

Advertisements