Virgin compressor owner seeks experienced compressor owner to show him the way...

1. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

I've never had, or worked with, air compressors and air tools previously so at the grand age of forty-eight I've just bought an air compressor thanks to eBay's 10% voucher last weekend. I've worked out where the air comes out and I know it has a 1/2"BSP connection... and that's where my knowledge comes to an abrupt end. First subsequent purchase may well be a plasma cutter, but that's a different chapter.

I'm baffled by the sheer number of different connection types and quick-release couplings available! I'm fortunate in that I'm able to invest in reasonably quality stuff, etc., and make them last. The wee village we live in has an old-school car bodywork repairer/painter and Archie has become a regular stop when I take the dogs for a walk; this evening he showed me his Prevost quick-release couplings and a few of his air tools.

I've done some research on this forum and it Redashe Tundra hose (by coincidence Archie has Redashe hose) has been highly rated by forum members but it seems that whilst the bore of the hose is 3/8" the fittings at each end are 1/4"...? Some of the air tools I've been looking at (die grinders) seem to be 3/8" hose - am I misinterpreting this and they're all actually 1/4"..?

Do I take it that all air tools have pretty much the same inlet (1/4" BSP) and once I decide on which coupling type to go for do I just buy 1/4" BSP to (whatever make) adaptor separately?

Thanks!

sardine likes this.
  2. gaz1

gaz1 Member

you can change to a bigger fitting connction on the highest flow of the compressor tank

its high flow fittings that come in handy with air tools

what compressor have you got ?

3/4cfm for plasma cutters

higher for other tools

3. cheb Forum Supporter

If you're friendly with the local garage I'd use the same fittings as them. He might sell you them and also his tools will fit your compressor, handy if he upgrades and you buy his old tools.

Works for me anyway.

4. gaz1

gaz1 Member

im used to garage using pcl fiting so used the same on my hoses, i have other fittings but there the euro fitting you find at lidl

Tangledfeet likes this.
  5. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Virgin are into everything....first time ive heard they do compressors though

chunkolini, Alf98 and gaz1 like this.
  6. Tangledfeet

Yes, I've gleaned that much - air tools love higher flow! It's a Fiac Workhorse 3HP 50L 13CFM.

7. cheb Forum Supporter

I use standard, and genuine, PCL fittings. The genuine ones are IME much better than the knock offs

Tangledfeet likes this.
  8. julianf

julianf Member

When people say "pcl" they normally mean the old style, restrictive fitting.

The high flow are probably more sensible now.

Eg -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pcl-ac71...ygX4Au4XPmbDBtQehr52N5t1XvfKe0M4aAmPbEALw_wcB

(Which is made by pcl, but not what most mean when they say pcl...)

I have that style fitting on all my kit. It's sometimes called euro somthing or other. It's not rate or obscure - buy a cheap from China tool station air tool selection pack and it will have the corresponding male fittings as standard.

The old style pcl is, well, old...

Tangledfeet likes this.
  9. gaz1

gaz1 Member

ive got n older 40 litre belt driven compressor works fine with cut 50 plasma cutter

to note sometimes using tools on first trigger pull can shift stuff off on lower power units using power hungry tools

Tangledfeet likes this.
  10. julianf

julianf Member

11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    If I was starting up again I would go all Euro (the short stubby type). They are slightly larger bore which can make a lot of difference but many years ago I flooded the workshop with PCL (the longer type). Seems they're both called PCL but I call the foreign ones Euro.

The bore and stiffness of the hose is also really important for flow. If you want a nut driver to spin, you need cfm. Narrow bore hoses will act like a great big resistor and slow down the airflow. Don't bother with floppy cheap hoses, they curl up and tangle and go stiff in the cold.

When you fit connectors make sure they are nowhere near your ears.

Keep your ears and eyes away from quick release fittings.

If you mount a fitting on the wall, keep it away from ears and eyes.

I think I made my point. You only need to fire compressed air into your ear once to enjoy a lifetime of damage. Compressed air is actually pretty damned dangerous. While you're playing with it, go overboard on the safety gear until you become familiar with some of the issues. Wear eye protection always and ear defenders.

I can't count the number of times I have blasted something clean only for whatever muck was in there to somehow find its way right into my face!

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

I use standard pcl high flow and c couplings and use larger bore hose

Tangledfeet likes this.
  13. julianf

julianf Member

Get the host that Bob recommended a while back - its amazing. I wish id bought some years back.

(flexible at all temperatures)

edit:

Redashe Tundra Super Flexible Air Hose TRB6100 1 £40.14
    Subtotal £33.45
    Shipping & Handling £0.00
    Grand Total (Excl.Tax) £33.45
    VAT Standard (20%)
    £6.69
    Tax
    £6.69
    Grand Total (Incl.Tax) £40.14

Tangledfeet likes this.
  14. MattH

MattH Member

I don’t think your sexual experience actually has any bearing on air line fittings but thanks for sharing.

chunkolini and Maker like this.
  15. Tangledfeet

Thanks all for your advice @julianf @brightspark @Screwdriver @gaz1 @cheb

@Screwdriver Yes, the 'Euro' connector seems to be the one for me - especially as I'm going to use the Prevost ESI coupling at the end of the Tundra airline that @julianf has seconded! And for the advice on use of airlines and pneumatic equipment; I'm very glad we don't have compressed air at work (school - I'm a teacher) as kids wouldn't appreciate just how quickly compressed air can disembowel...

Just placed an order with Sprayguns direct for tank coupling, the Tundra hose, Prevost coupling, Prevost air blow gun - and some PTFE tape!

16. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Personally I would stay away from tape and get paste. Might not matter too much with the likes of air tools but paste is, IMO, far superior and it is all I use now, then again it is usually boat hydraulic steering systems and air solenoid valves I work on, both of which can be a nightmare if a small bit of PTFE tape gets into the system.

Turbo and Tangledfeet like this.
  17. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

In fact there seems to even be one made specifically for you :D

ScreenHunter_2750 Jun. 22 10.36.jpg

18. Bill Edwards Member

I too think the 'euro' type is the best choice, it can be a nuisance sometimes because the more common is the longer, thinner 'pcl style' (as they're commonly known) but they're horribly restrictive. I keep adaptors in case I need to use somebody else's airline as they're never on 'euro' ones.

I suggest you don't buy anything other than PCL branded female couplers as other makes just don't seem to last in my experience.

Most air tools tend to be 1/4 female inlets, until you get into bigger tools where the size does start to increase.

I suggest air line whip hoses for nearly everything. You're supposed to have them for things like impact wrenches as the vibration isn't good for the connectors, but it makes things nicer to handle and less bulky. I also use cheap swivels from eBay for everything, get them from China for just over £2 each and gain loads of flexibility.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360-Swiv...699835?hash=item286f66cc7b:g:4cEAAOSwKk5cd4Uo

Tangledfeet and Turbo like this.
  19. Tangledfeet

Didn't even know of thread deal post until now! Every day is a school day...

20. Hood

Hood Forum Supporter

Well I know you are a Techie teacher but maybe you should speak to your colleagues in the English department. Either that or stop relying on predictive text :D

Advertisements