Ventilation/extraction for spray booth...?

1. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    i think it would cost thousands to have enough gear to do what youre hoping , id go for a clean shed with a opening flap for a big fan to withdraw the fumes

2. carbon

carbon Member

Not sure if this will help

For the exhaust pleated filter, if the filter is going to be mounted vertically then its possible to have a channel covering the top of the filter and a support at the bottom if you then mount one above the other it just the same process.
    Filter in black and frame in red

Filter frame1.png

3. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

Alas due to partially cladding the building with feather edge, placing the extraction fan low down won’t be possible, but thanks anyway :)

I’ve used this to calculate required CFM extraction

https://www.hunker.com/12387444/how-to-calculate-cfm-for-a-paint-booth-exhaust-fan

4. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Hmm you need to think about it really because if you put it high up aswell as the Inlet the air will flow straight from inlet to outlet and not clear the lower area, use some ducting from filter up to fan

carbon likes this.
  5. carbon

carbon Member

You also need to consider the air flow through the exhaust filter as there is a recommended air flow and pressure drop for them to work effectively. To small a filter area will increase the air flow beyond the max recommended if your fan is capable

https://www.andreaefilters.com/filter/high-efficiency/

6. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Looking Good Z, wish i had that sort of space, parms plan is spot on, some i have seen have the extraction filters across the whole end. make up some sort of frame to pin or slide in the concertina paint filter. That way you create a sort of vacumn space behind the filters where the fumes can then be sucked out, in that way you can probably but your exhaust where you want? ie at the back/side of your building.

More modern spray booths seem to have a raised floor ie a metal grate and i guess they suck out fumes through the "lower Floor"

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  7. carbon

carbon Member

Down draught booths clear quicker than cross flow booths with the same size extractor.

A couple of pictures hope this clears things up a bit

D85D84DC-2292-44C0-9BA1-B6600682A066.jpeg 91068DD6-34D9-4950-BC1A-6CD91BB7F701.jpeg FEADAC17-E294-4C88-B704-2A3FB740299E.jpeg

8. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
  9. carbon

carbon Member

Not really but would be the same principle of fitting filters. The fan is in the upper section and air flow is fairly consistent across the face of the filter towards the floor, measured with a cheap anemometer.

10. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

It IS costing thousands. So far the building itself has taken a couple of grand (inclusive of all sundries and foundations, and it's not finished yet!) also, I dare say once all of the equipment is purchased it'll be another couple of thousand.

11. steveo3002 Member

cambridge uk
    i see ...what are planning to paint in this shed?

12. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

...and the penny drops! I understand now, thanks for clearing that one up :) I'm toying with the idea of this ready made item for G3 type filters which might offer a better sealing https://www.justfans.co.uk/duct-mou...MI59nH1-ul5QIVi7TtCh2HoQt3EAQYBSABEgKyffD_BwE

13. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

The bonnet for the Camaro is (roughly) 160cm x 160cm that's the largest unboltable body panel, the rest are less thankfully.

steveo3002 likes this.
  14. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

Unfortunately it's gonna have to be cross draft as opposed to down due to the construction of the building. Though I do appreciate the down draft is more likely to be superior.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

Agreed, and thank you for raising that point. Further cladding of the shed has ceased until inlet vents, extraction fan and louvres are fitted! I was looking at the 24" item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATEX-Exp...ter/332353287033?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144 for extraction.

I've worked out that I require circa 5500 CFM for a 7 ft x 8 ft booth within the shed.

16. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Wow thats alot of extraction, may i ask how this was calculated, i reckon u may get sucked out!

17. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Sorry just seen your link above

18. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

19. The Z'eer

The Z'eer Member

Pictured here (though far from finished) is the intended area for painting. The structure itself is L shaped. The inlet vents will feature on the left hand wall around 4.5 ft from ground level, the extraction at the same level but on the opposing right hand wall. I'm hoping that this will cause the flow of air to travel across the work area and draw out the over spray.

A partition will be built internally to segregate the area from the rest of the structure (fourth wall).

IMG_1719[1].JPG

20. Snowy90

Snowy90 Member

Looks good, nice carpentry!

Just a thought you have quite a void under your floor, is it not possible to put metal grate down as your floow and have your extraction through the floor?

Also im sure you have thought of that but be sure to have fresh air to your compressor room, dont want to be breathing any recirculated paint/fumes that may leak out of your paint room, assuming your going the air fed mask route.

Looking good, loving the thread.

Advertisements