Universal Rollover Jig

1. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

That's perfect timing....I was actually trying to work out how to do exactly the same thing myself. Is that just timber offcuts or is there something else too. I was thinking of making something similar out of steel.

2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Anyone know where I could buy a set in steel....I've been looking everywhere but all I find is those rubbish ramps. Much easier to just jack the car up and then chuck a pair of these under the tyres.

I actually have a pair of hydraulic ramps...I still just use a jack and then chuck them under instead of driving onto them!

3. Onoff Member

4. CompoSimmonite Member

I have an old pair of ramps which the sloping part is detachable so you are left with just a wheel platform. No idea of make but at least 30+ years old !

5. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I "happen" to have a shed load of wall prop lying around...was hoping to just buy a pair though.

6. postie jon Member

have seen a guy welding his mazda 2500 pick up chassis about 3 or4 feet off the ground ,all he had was 3 or 4 wheel rims welded end on end ,he simply rolled them in about and lifted it with the forklift, but a trolley jack would do the same but obliovously not so high.:welder:

7. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I have some offcuts of an old sleeper lying around...I reckon that might work just as well. Would be nice to make a set in steel though.

8. CompoSimmonite Member

Hi-Lift pallet truck would lift almost 3'

9. Cobbler

Cobbler Codger bodger

Some years ago, a mate of mine borrowed the works forklift to change the gearbox in his Cortina & did it in the car park on a Saturday morning. All the others at his work thought he was mad, but he reckoned it made a brilliant ramp.

postie jon likes this.
  10. mechman Member

Done that thing with the tyres

11. Spot the welders dog

Spot the welders dog Member

Off-cuts: Cheeky begger! The wood was shipped in from the Vatican Gardens after being blessed; then lovingly screwed together in two halves with the biggest screws I could find.

Thought about making steel stools but didn't trust my welding on anything above 1.2mm!

12. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Sorry Spot...just checking whether there was an RSJ hidden behind the wood :laughing:. I'm exactly the same with the welding...the problem is one bad weld and you're no longer around to joke about it down the pub! I'm chewing over an idea which uses some cut up acrow props and some 25mm threaded bar that I have lying around. The idea would be to build something which would support the load in the inherent design...any welds would then be belt and braces.

I'm happy with welding up to 5mm I think...but I'd much rather just buy something when it's safety critical which has been tested to destruction and certified!...or build something so stupidly strong that I don't need to worry about it :clapping:

13. Onoff Member

14. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Looks great...personally I'd want some kind of secondary lock on the thread myself.

15. mylesdw

mylesdw Member

New Zealand
    Staring to look quite like the rig from the Binky project videos on YouTube

16. eltis Member

Northumberland

I’m also looking at buying / making one of these, did you have any luck?

17. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    Once I'd thought about the design, the cost of material, the cutting up, the time and materials welding . . . I bought one from here:

http://leonbirchall.co.uk/jigs-spits/index.html

And adjusted the mounts, having specified some basic bits, to fit my integrale, that then spent a week or two being twirled around while I replaced two sill and a bit of floor.

Advertisements