Universal Rollover Jig

1. Onoff Member

Just throwing this out there...

A long term plan is to make a rollover jig for two Capris I have.

However a more immediate need is to sort the sills on my MK1 Ford Focus estate.

One Capri I need to get going to get out of the garage. The plan is to then get the Focus in to sort the sills. But rather that dicking about with jacks and stands is it feasible to make a rollover jig that will support the bumperless Focus still with doors, bonnet and tailgate on AND the engine still in?

Then just swap the support member for the Capri shell later on.

Got mma and mig btw.

Cheers.

2. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Maybe

Note these are not mine but are images from ebay some time back.
    Called "carolla bars" by the seller

• bars pic 1.jpg
    • bars pic 2.jpg
    • bars pic 3.jpg
  3. gt6s Member

I get the feeling what OP is referring to is commonly known as a spit. Not a roll over jig.

Laurence

4. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
  5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Why do you need rollover to do Focus sills ? I always put car up ramps and jack the back end onto stands then just sit on the floor or lie down to get underneath. I'll admit it wasn't always ideal but it worked. Just get the Focus done and out the way quick to concentrate on the Capris. I think you would struggle to get the balance right with the engine still in.

6. Onoff Member

7. Onoff Member

Just exploring options though I do over think things! Newbie to this sort of thing but yeah maybe just raise as high as I can on stands. Not just the sills I think. Nasty stuff going on under that super absorbent "felt" they line the rear arches with! Wondering if I could do away with it and just Shultz the whole area when done?

8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Here's mine. 33551-dd6f6a78aad9dfe723ed6ca36cdaea34.jpg 33552-c4105573bad19092ecaffcda37746b76.jpg

Parm, Wayne., Johnseat and 3 others like this.
  9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I've read that some just push it over onto a row of tyres - not saying it's the greatest idea but it'd be cheap........:rolleyes:

Proceed at your own risk!! E & OE :whistle:

Ashley Burton likes this.
  10. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Used to role the Minis on an old mattress or tires the mattress was good you could kip in the service van as well :thumbup:

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Onoff Member

Couldn't you shove a scaffold pole from one end to the other on the old Minis and rotate about that? Sure I've seen it somewhere.

12. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Not with the engine in & trim as well & in the middle of Kielder forest at 04.00GMT raining & blowing a gale, & the hole was big not scaf size :laughing:

13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

I''ve seen on the net someone roll a car with two big round bits of reinforced ply.

14. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

The pikeys used to do it with a couple of mattresses

15. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    That conjures up some horrible thoughts...:o .and I thought we were talking about rolling cars :whistle:

GW8IZR likes this.
  16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I was looking at these recently to help me out with sill welding....but my worry was that having a car on it's side just suspended by the hubs might end up putting a load of forces on the shell that it wasn't necessarily designed to handle! Then throw in the cutting disc on the sills and lots of interesting things could happen...of course you could brace everything I guess.

I see these on the bay of fleas quite regularly....I was wondering whether people buy them and then they don't quite work out as planned so they get shut of them!

17. Onoff Member

When I do the Capri shells I'll tack braces across the door openings and fit a strut brace too.

It's funny but I really thought I'd be doing the Capris, at my leisure, before the daily on the hurry up! Still, guess I should've done better at school! :)

18. Wallace

Wallace Member

Autovip 1700? I had one and sold it to Puffernutter. Made a couple of attachments for mine here to make turning the car round without refitting the wheels or suspension.

Burdekin likes this.
  19. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers Wallace....thats great work....I really like the reusability that you've built into your designs.

Onoff...I'm going through the bracing at the moment. I'm going to brace the corners of the shell before I cut the sills out...my bracing is OTT but the shell I think is very weak so I don't want to take any chances. I'll be bolting mine into the door hinge holes and the seatbelt mounts as I want to reuse the brace in future (I have 2 cars to do!)

20. Spot the welders dog

Spot the welders dog Member

Cheap and cheerful way to gain some height for those rusty Ford repairs.

os_sill.jpg

slim_boy_fat and Onoff like this.
Advertisements