1. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Tightened up the knot a bit

[​IMG]

2. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London

Yep. Brilliant program. Would be frustrating for a CAD/3d expert but makes up for it by being simple (and free).

eLuSiVeMiTe and Tangledfeet like this.
  3. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

I'm impressed. As a teacher I'm fortunate to have access to all Autodesk software so I'm familiar with (and we teach) using Inventor.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Thanks, I trained to be a teacher (CDT) but quit after a few months in London...

Sketchup is difficult for complex items but just about doable. I am slightly obsessed with modelling everything.

[​IMG]

5. Tangledfeet

That's what I do in Scotland, if you hadn't guessed - I can empathise with quitting. I've been teaching ten years now (I'm 48) and hope to be out of full-time teaching at 55... hopefully!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Screwdriver and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Thanks every one for your help, I have a couple of days off next week so may just have a bash at this, small one first then if it works out something different for the garden to.

7. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    It will test your accuracy and your skilz. That's one great big long length of material full of joins that needs to meet up after darting off in every dimension.

I guess you could tack it up but getting it welded out might be tricky in such a tight space. With a bit of forethought, you might be able to make it in three big bits if the remaining joins can be exposed. I guess I should try that in Sketchup, I might struggle in the real world!

Now you've pointed it out though, I am quite keen to give it a go.

8. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I had a peruse on Youtube and there is a couple of how to`s, seems to make into three sections then join allows for welding all round

9. zx9

zx9 Member

That is interesting to see it modelled in Sketch up, I assume you could also experiment with cutting it into component parts to find the most accessible welds. I say you could because I have only played with Sketch Up for a couple of afternoons, any chance you could pm me a copy of the Sketch Up file or link to it so I can have a play, please.

10. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Sure. I'm going to have a look at the YouTube mentioned above and see if it breaks easily into three. Looks like it does.

zx9 likes this.
  11. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    Hmm. Not sure it this helps really!

[​IMG]

Tangledfeet and Anguz like this.
  12. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Wish I'd seen this before.
    I mean before having spent most of an evening, a couple of days ago, visualising & working out the pieces for one of these!

It took quite a while to work out that there were only 3 basic pieces - I so wish I could CAD like you lot can!

[​IMG]

Even then, while turning things around in my head, I couldn't be quite sure if they were identical - in that the mitres were rotated the same way in relation to each end - for each size of piece.

I had a few lengths of one inch square tubing (3mm thick) so made a start.
    Came back to it after going out to an appointment, and screwed up the next part!
    Spot the mistake!

[​IMG]

Not a good photo, but I was quite irritated on noticing this screw-up!
    I then had to try to chop it off, but obvoiusly in it's current form it would no longer fit into the bandsaw, so had to try to get a slitting disc in there.

Hopefully I'll get back to it, later on.
    Blending in the welds is quite tricky, due to the shape and obstructed access, but now I've started, I'll have to do the same all the way through - so I suspect I'll be cursing myself later!

Anyway, back to the real world for now - Hopefully I'll find some time later on to finish it.

All the Best,
    CJ

• Fuck up.JPG
    • Three basic pieces.JPG
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Tangledfeet likes this.
  13. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

All done, now. Haven't done the internal fillets, and the jast joint had to be pulled into place by a couple of millimetres.
    And the mug for scale, of course!

All the Best,
    CJ

• Done.JPG
  14. Climber

Climber Member

If you want to test your skills, do a really really small one.

15. Tangledfeet

Nice work! This reminds me that I must clean mine up and spray with clear lacquer.

You did yourself a favour by leaving a larger gap between the 'foils' than I did; and mine also needed some persuasion to close up properly...

Country Joe likes this.
  16. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Yes, yours looks much more tightly "tied" than mine does.
    Also just downloaded the welder's knot from the last page of this post, and I'm sure it's made from fess (just 10, maybe?) pieces.

@Ruffian mentioned making a small paperweight version out of 20mm tube, earlier on.
    I used imperial 1" tubing, which is not much bigger section-wise, and it's come out a fair size.
    Even though each piece is only either 3, 5 or 7 inches long, it used up a 5 foot length of steel - and is quite heavy (about 3.5kg ish) but that is partly due to the 3mm thickness.

All the Best,
    CJ

17. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

You're quite right!
    CJ

18. Tangledfeet

Country Joe likes this.
  19. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Ok, nine then!
    I swear I did some damage on Monday night trying to mentally turn pieces, sizes & mitre directions in my head.

I even downloaded something called "LibreCAD", but didn't manage to make anything happen in the tortured hour or two that I gave it!

I think I must have been drawn in by all those "Try this CAD pacgage, it's free and easy to learn" posts on here referring to Sketch-up, and the like - so thought in a moment of desperation to try one of them!

Got a bit of a deja-vu going on here too, in that I think I've tried the same thing (but some other "shape-making" software) before & given up!
    Maybe it was LibreCAD that did all that damage, after all!

Put it this way, it was harder to visualise it than it was to weld it up - And I even managed to squeeze in a mistake half-way through!

Anyway, when (or should that be "if"?) things return to normal, I'll be able to count to ten, again!

All the Best,

CJ

20. Tangledfeet

Exactly!!! It played with my wee mind.

I'm fortunate in that I'm reasonably proficient with 3D Modelling (Autodesk Inventor) as we teach it at school - I'm a CDT teacher.

Advertisements