Too much spatter after EURO torch conversion

1. Mastro Member

Hello everyone, I have been having issues with my mig welder SEALEY SUPERMIG 180 after I installed a EURO torch MB25AK.
    I noticed that since I converted it to a euro torch, it seems to produce a lot of spatter and the penetration even at max power is not as good as it was before with the original torch.
    I checked all the connections and they don't seem to be the problem. I changed the earth clamp with a proper copper one (see below clamp I installed)
    [​IMG]

I really don't know why is behaving like this. So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions having experienced something similar after a euro torch conversion?
    Thanks

2. Popcorn

Popcorn Member

Is the gas getting though ok ?

3. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    If it's not as Popcorn suggest (gas) Then check with a meter between the wire feed plate/assembly and the chassis of the machine. The two should be isolated from one another. There would be some insulators to make this so. Meter set on Ohms and meter between the feed rollers and the chassis. You need to see an open or VERY high resistance.

4. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

"A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...."
    Polarity? :dontknow:

5. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Like this

• THERM ARC 1.JPG
    a111r and slim_boy_fat like this.
  6. Mastro Member

yes the gas is getting through without any issues

7. Mastro Member

I did that as well. I did a continuity test with a meter between the weld power connection and the chassis and it was ok.
    I didn't check the resistance, but I guess if I did it would have been very high as you mentioned.

8. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

have you changed wire when you done the conversion ? think simple first then work your way back

Nick DV likes this.
  9. Mastro Member

Which wire? Are you asking if I changed the polarity?
    I connected the positive to the torch and negative to the earth clamp, if that's what you're asking

10. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

no was thinking that theres more splatter but did you change the weldiing wire its self bought a differnt welding wire that was cheap quality could that be the problem ?

Nick DV likes this.
  11. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Put the old torch back on and see if the issue resolved itself? Sounds like a poor quality torch to me

Nick DV likes this.
  12. Munkul

Munkul Jack of some trades, Master of none

Wire tension?

unsupported section of wire feed? If the euro torch conversion leaves half an inch or more exposed, then your feed won't be smooth any more.

Wire snagging in a bad tip or tip holder?

Nick DV likes this.
  13. Cuthy246

Cuthy246 Member

Got the right tip size in for your wire? .8mm tip with .6mm wire does funny things. Also is the roller the right way round for your wire size?

Nick DV likes this.
  14. Tigman

Tigman Member

Is your new torch cable longer , may be struggling to feed through ?

Nick DV likes this.
  15. Hutcho Member

Just thinking out loud here so don’t shoot me lol - but with it being changed to a euro torch the wire feed should run better and also you have changed the size of the shroud -
    So maybe need to alter speed and gas flow to accommodate the new torch

Nick DV likes this.
  16. Hutcho Member

But also as mentioned make sure the contact tip is the right size - I’d of thought that size of torch would be for 1.0-1.2 wire so might have wrong tip

Nick DV likes this.
  17. Mastro Member

Hi, everyone sorry for the late reply.
    So, I will try to answer all your questions below:

1) I changed the tip to match the wire size 0.8mm;
    2) I haven't changed the wire 0.8mm, used the same wire with the new and old torch;
    3) The wire feeds through really well with the new euro torch I can visually see that. This was the reason that made me change to euro torch, the wire wasn't feeding through properly with the original torch, as this has a plastic wire feeder. Also the force with which the wire is pushed through the torch seems to be quite high, so I don't think is a feeding issue;
    4) Sadly when I put the old torch back on, it doesn't provide spatter. So still no clue of what is causing the issue.

18. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Forum Supporter

UK London
    If the problem is in the torch, surely it has to be the voltage delivered to the tip is somehow reduced with poor connectivity/cheap conductor? :dontknow:

19. Mastro Member

it looks such a good torch, the quality doesn't seem bad at all...
    I think I run out of options :(

20. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

What make is the torch?

Advertisements