Thoughts ESAB Rebel 215 or separate units

1. 1234 New Member

Hi, New to the forum although have been lurking from time to time. As per title I need (that's what I tell the boss) portable/13/16amp option(s) for MIG/TIG and was considering the ESAB Rebel 215. I was looking as an alternative maybe separate units, initially ESAB Caddy mig 200 and ESAB buddy 160 tig, but latterly due to the caddy being similar in price to the rebel, the Kemppi evo mig 200 and thermal arc 175 St.
    A lot of what I will be doing with it/them would be car/motorcycle work...body/chassis/exhaust. Quite fancy a synergic machine for MIG hence the machines I am considering.
    Does anyone have any opinions on the above as to what they would go for and why?

2. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I have the Kemppi and it's a great machine.

I decided to go with separates...if one breaks you still have the others, if one gets stolen etc etc.

Are easb selling their acdc Tig in the UK yet...I did like the look of that but was mega bucks last time I looked.

Is the 205ic acdc ...that looks very nice I think.

3. 1234 New Member

Hi Pigeon_droppings2, thanks for reply. Yes I think the rebel 205 is now available in UK but I think £3k+ ......way more than I could spend on one and don't need(would love it but don't need it) the AC capability.
    One of reasons I was considering the separates was for that reason of if it breaks you lose the capability for it all.

4. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Thats exactly why I did it...and also that MMA stick machines are pennies these days so really that's £3k for a TIG/MIG....but it is a stunner....think of the bragging rights....I was just looking at it....the missus was next to me and said just buy it! But it's not worth it I think.

My Kemppi was £1k about 8 years ago....it's a cracking little machine. I was thinking about adding an ACDC TIG but to be honest the Kemppi does stainless perfectly adequately for my needs and I've never needed to weld aluminium. Even spending £1k on a TIG I'm still saving £1k on the multi process machine.

5. 1234 New Member

I can certainly see bragging rights with the ac/dc rebel.....but at that price it is way above what I could consider!!!....although if my wife said to buy it, I would give it a go!!!
    Have you used the Kemppi a lot in the 8 years you have had it?...do you use the synergic function ?

Pigeon_Droppings2 likes this.
  6. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I'm a hobby welder but I've done a couple of restorations with it so far...currently onto my second Nissan Figaro...the first one I did was done using the Kemppi and was a bit of a rust bucket...sills/arches/boot/floor/more arches/roof...endless!

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/project-2-nissan-figaro.74791/page-50

The synergic function is all I use....all you do is load the wire you want to use (mild steel, stainless, braze or ali)....then you press a button to select material....and then you just dial in the thickness of what you want to weld (eg 0.8mm/1mm/2mm). Thats pretty much it other than remembering the earth clamp and turning the gas on.

There is no need to remember any amp/volt/feed settings...you have a "trim" control which basically trims the wire feed. If you want more power you just increase the thickness a little ....but most of the time the auto setup is close enough.

I was fixing a tool for the local butcher 6 weeks ago....I was confident enough to just load the stainless wire, select stainless at 2mm and just weld....no test welds and faffing about.

7. 1234 New Member

That's a v impressive build!!
    Kemppi sounds like it will fit the bill for what I will need :-)

8. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Cheers...the Nissan is paper think (0.7mm I reckon) and the Kemppi can go low enough to butt weld repairs if I do the stop/start technique and just go easy with it (basically leave a second between weld dots).

On mine I fitted a teflon liner...the only thing I've struggled with is 0.6mm wire....I use 0.8mm for everything. I think the auto mode is setup for 0.8mm....you can use 0.6mm but you have to adjust things and that was too much faff for me. I want to spend my time welding not faffing about!

What are you planning to weld with it...for car work its ideal I reckon so you can't go wrong.

9. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    There seems to be plenty people having problems with Rebels over the last few months. On here, and other forums.

Another contender - Lincoln Speedtec 200c

No experience of this particular machine, but I've used the bigger speedtecs, they're very nice indeed. Should be good for general purpose stick welding, too.

10. 1234 New Member

Hi Pigeon_droppings2. ...Yes some car/motorbike work and other bits and bobs as they arise. It's mainly as I need the bits so I can do the welding elsewhere as currently restricted to welding at home because of the power requirements, but also want something that designed to move around.

Mankul....that's a nice machine, I had concentrated on the rebel as I had seen a number of people suggesting the interface is a little more user friendly and has the user manual built in as well as well liked synergic lines, which I am sure are very subjective and application specific!. Would you go for a multiprocess machine over separates?

11. Robbie260 Member

To be honest id agree with having seperate machines but i like having my synergic multiprocess mig, but i always have a seperate stick tig machine about. Current stable is SWP digi mig 200 lcd which i got for £560 on a deal as id gone too get the lower spec one but they didnt have any in so i got an upgrade for the same price, though ther are lots of good reputable brands which do multiprocess machines between this price and £1000. My back up welder use too be an esab buddy arc 180, my new one is a bit over the top i have a lorch micor tig 200 basic and battery but want too work on my landy and there is no power where i keep it and no way too get it there, and no space too store a generator, havent had the chance too have a real play with it yet but when i get home from this trip reviews on both welders shall be going on the fourm.

12. willie.macleod

willie.macleod Member

The Rebel 215 will be ideal for your auto work using synergetic MIG. It does have its limitations regarding TIG, are you willing to live with a basic valved torch, no HF start and a ridiculously expensive pedal? I hope the 205 comes down in price as it adds a lot of functionality to the machine. For my purposes it is very useful to have 3 different processes from the one machine in one booth and the 215 does the job for now although the 205 would undoubtedly be better.

With regards to the number of folk complaining online about Rebels it would be interesting to compare against the number of units sold. The user interface is great, you can set it to simple or advanced mode depending on your preference and start laying down good beads straight away. I don't recall any synergetic lines for brazing like the Kemppi though.

13. 1234 New Member

Hi Robbie/Willie thanks for the responses, it's good to get feedback from multi process and separate set up users. I would love to have a multi process and separate...maybe I need to save a bit more!!

Robbie260 likes this.
  14. Robbie260 Member

The sperate dosent have too be expensive i just kept the esab around for working out side and doing the nasty jobs i didnt want too put my good welder through. There are plenty of cheap cheerful and good wee inverter stick welders around that will do scratch start tig too sometimes even lift tig. A clarke buzz box would do. Its only advisable as if the multi process gose pop your in a bind and either have too wait till its fixed or buy a new welder right then and there if you in the middle of an important job, if your concidering a multi process id assume you would be getting too the more serious end of diy where something your doing maybe time critical.

15. 1234 New Member

Thanks Robbie260. I think I have settled on going separates......some of the feedback on here helped in making a decision. Just got to get in touch with local supplier and see what they can offer!

Robbie260 likes this.
  16. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I think you've made the right choice...even if you go all out on a Kemppi 200 Evo and a Jasic pro for Tig and stick you are still at £2k and you have a pair of cracking machines.

With separates you can justify selling/upgrading either as needed too.

17. 1234 New Member

I hadn't looked at the Jasic, but had a quick look and that looks a nice machine and offers some functionality that the thermal arc doesnt. Too many choices!!

18. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

I liked the look of the Jasic (gets good press on here) but I'm cheap so I went with the Sherman which is a cheap version....plan is to learn Tig with it and then decide whether to upgrade it at a later date.

Robbie260 likes this.
Advertisements