The mill is in.

1. 123hotchef Member

what is the difference between usb mini a and b

2. 123hotchef Member

I am sure I have some old mini usb cables laying around to cannibalize!

3. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Courtesy of Amazon :D

[​IMG]

4. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

^^^ So I don't think there's a "mini C" as such, just "Type C USB". One clear difference between B and C is that C can be inserted either way up, but B only fits one way

5. 123hotchef Member

I got it cheers I got some cables here but they are only 2 core for charging I shall get a couple off ebay

6. 123hotchef Member

Plugs are here I am still trying to sus the wiring out

7. 123hotchef Member

Well I am baffled now I have a + and - on the display. And 2 others I presume data and clock. On the calipers side I have a - and 3+

8. zx9

zx9 Member

I just looked the USB is a balanced data bus so data+ and data-

Assuming the callipers have a five pin connector 1is +ve 2 is Data- 3 is Data+ 4 is via resistor to Gnd 5 is Gnd.

I would be taking the battery out of the caliper connecting + on display out to your +3 on your calliper (1 on the USB) and - on the display to pin 5 on the calliper. Try the calliper will it power up from the display? If it does connect the other two from the display to the calliper pins 2 and 3 does it work ? if not reverse pins 2 and 3.

123hotchef and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  9. 123hotchef Member

I have not tried this yet but I only get 1.5V on the power out of the calipers and the power out of the display they both have 3V batteries i them. There are only 4 wires in the calliper usb cable

10. 123hotchef Member

I will try taking the battery out of the calipers this evening, I have just read some bits too

11. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

It may well not be USB at all. I hadn't realised that the calipers (as in digital calipers?) would have their own batteries rather than being powered by the DRO.

If that's the case then I wouldn't think you want to be sending that power to the DRO, just ground and one (possibly two) signals. Do you have a pic of the calipers?

123hotchef likes this.
  12. skotl

skotl Forum Supporter

Just found this from your earlier post:

[​IMG]

So it looks like it's a home made affair? If so then you'll probably need to open it up and find out where the cables go.

What make / model is the DRO?

123hotchef likes this.
  13. 123hotchef Member

I may make sense to remove the batteries and use the power cables too. It is just weird that the calipers take a 3V CRo323 battery and the dro takes 2 1.5V AAA batteries but the out put voltage on both of them is 1.5V I will see what happens if I remove the battery in the calipers first and if no joy i will try with the battery and power cables disconected. The calipers look very much like my lidl ones

14. 123hotchef Member

The DRO has no names on it at all, I have a instruction page for the DRO and one for the calipers but no names and no wiring diagrams

15. 123hotchef Member

One step closer I can get the dro to power up the calipers. But I can not get any thing on the dro

• 20191002_154625.jpg
    • 20191002_154620.jpg
    • 20191002_154541.jpg
    • 20191002_154449.jpg
  16. 123hotchef Member

The new usb cable came today too weird that I get 3v on the screening and bare core inside.

• 20191002_152726.jpg
  17. 123hotchef Member

All the other cores apart from the ground are 1.5v

18. zx9

zx9 Member

I found this

which is not much help other than the USB connector appears to be a serial connector in a USB shell and the data bus is 1.5 V so that would explain the other cores being 1.5V

He uses the digital input on a hand held scope to see the bit stream, easy to look at with a PC and serial port or a USB to serial, you would need a soft ware to see it though.

I think Putty would do it, or Extron do a free utility called Extron Data viewer which needs a log in to down load so not so useful.

123hotchef likes this.
  19. 123hotchef Member

I thought I needed 1 wire for data the other for clock from what I have read.

20. 123hotchef Member

I just had a thought maybe it has never worked or maybe there is something missing. Who knows.

Advertisements