Sunbeam S7 Deluxe

1. stuvy

stuvy Member

Lovely looking bike

2. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I think so, you don't see many about. Though there is one around the corner, and since buying this one, I’ve been told about 10 in a shed 20miles away, like a number10 bus:doh::laughing:

I’m local to Squires and Seaways/Fimber, go any day of the week and you’ll see some beautifully restored bikes, no good for a oily rag Yorkshireman like me:D

8ob, ronan and stuvy like this.
  3. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Ever go to Dick Cravens place outside York ?

4. Shox Dr

Yes, a rite little treasure trove. You?

Was talking about it last week, only open a few days a month, bank holidays.

There’s a Vincent as you walk in he still races and holds records. Has a carbon stubby on it:clapping:

dobbslc and ronan like this.
  5. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    No, i knew a girl studing in York and wanted to head over and it was one of the places i wanted to see, but it never happened. He seems a bit of a hoarder tbh.

6. awemawson Forum Supporter

It just so happens that the single track road round Wrath had had it's surface totally stripped off to basically mud, as Sutherland council had decided that that was the most efficient way to resurface it ! Bump start in second gear, try to gradually change up through the box while balancing a pillion on slippery mud with two peoples luggage on board - oh joy!

I think that I still have a brand new Sunbeam bronze kick start quadrant in my desk drawer !

slim_boy_fat and Shox Dr like this.
  7. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Last time I saw one of those it was going through a hedge in front of me :dontknow: your comment regarding breaks reminded me, mind he was followed by a Triumph 110 me 4 wheels & some body work appealed more.

8. Shox Dr

Did it go to Cape Wrath? You can only get there via dingy and mini bus now. A couple have a little cafe there, they are trying to get off the ground.

I’ve been touring the west coast and islands for the last 40yrs, the last 14 every yr. Static homes and caravans teetering on what seems any available flat bit of ground next to the sea. I do wonder how they have all get planning, its really starting to spoil the area

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin

Did you ever do the west coast of Ireland ? Some stunning scenery and views to be had.

magnet likes this.
  10. Ali

Ali Member

Nice, I missed out on one of these rebuilt by Stewart Engineering a couple of years ago. It went for a silly price when I was changing a kids nappy as the bidding alert went off. Still haven’t forgiven him.

What are you replacing the front brake with?

If they’re quite a leisurely ride you could always re-do the shoes with a high friction coefficient lining, I was amazed what it did for my old Harley, especially after a few miles.

ronan and dobbslc like this.
  11. Shox Dr

Yes in 2012, rode down to Pembroke sailing into Rosslare, down the bottom up and across to Dublin.
    This is around Bridgetown, farmer across the rd let us camp in his field. Pub looked derelict, only sold; Guniness, Hofmiester, Vodka, and Bushmills.:clapping:
    31DB5F5D-8103-41FD-9B55-DDAA117EE4D8.jpeg
    D5FEB41B-9301-4C76-B766-0E5E9D9B8ACA.jpeg

magnet, stuvy, Parm and 1 other person like this.
  12. Shox Dr

BSA/Triumph Twin Leading type, I say type as original are daft money. Copies are available on ebay from India for less than 60quid. I can easily chuck it up and modify if necessary,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWIN-LEA...7-FRONT-BRAKE-DRUM-HUB-ASSEMBLY-/293268453298

13. Beeezer Member

@awemawson Respect, did you do as Bealach Na Ba.
    View attachment 199063

I bet the roads were somewhat different to todays. I first traveled over to Applecross in 77, my dad driving a mk1 capri,[/QUOTE]

Was there about a month ago, cracking road!! In all did just over 2000 miles!

14. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
  15. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Drums v discs, a friend of mine has had a BSA Goldstar from new and I called in one day on my GS850, as he had never tried a Jap 4 I said take it round the block, when he got back he said the brakes are good, he started braking where he normally would on the Goldie and stopped 50 yards short of the island :laughing:

ronan likes this.
  16. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

My regular ride in 1969 was a 500 AJS. I was repairing it and needed to pick up some parts locally. My neighbour lent me his new Triumph T100C. I've still got the scar on my right side where I dumped the bike after hauling on the front brake after some muppet opened a car door in front of me :mad:

dobbslc and ronan like this.
  17. Shox Dr

The sump turned up today, totally different quality in casting. Ironically the one off the bike has BSA cast into it, and was lovely to weld up.
    image.jpg

I was going to remove the flare/flange. But it doesnt look out of place turned upside down, mated to the other sump.

image.jpg

Hopefuldave, stuvy, dobbslc and 9 others like this.
  18. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

Nice looks good Dave

stuvy likes this.
  19. Shox Dr

The sump has a surge plate with a mesh screen for the oil pickup. Known for the basket breaking free from the plate. Someone has tried [unsuccessfully] to solder it.
    4033A0EA-4B5C-47B2-9BAA-2A46E74F5015.jpeg
    A quick squirt with the turbo torch and it was off

4B65C9C8-9472-4241-81AD-5AEA6CDDF6AF.jpeg
    Interesting to see its got a full lid. The plate needs to stay where it is, but the pickup needs moving to the now lower bottom. I’m thinking of remaking the two side baffles to extend down and hold the screen in place, with another at the front. I’d be interested hear what you did yours have @awemawson.

stuvy, ronan, eSCHEn and 1 other person like this.
  20. awemawson Forum Supporter

Both mine had the original sump. and I wasn't aware of any over heating oil problems. Mind you both mine were re-bored, new pistons, reground crank and new big ends and mains and new oil pump. Mind you I did have a heart flutter once when the oil pressure light started flickering, but it was the switch that was faulty !

stuvy and ronan like this.
Advertisements