Sunbeam S7 Deluxe

1. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Thought I’d start a thread about my newly acquired Sunbeam.
    853C2536-A26B-4A43-AAC4-819F2F40EBCB.jpeg

Last owner since 78. (I’m the 5th)

I’m off round Scotland and then Shetland next yr so need to give the old gal some TLC

I’ve already striped and cleaned the front brake, no wear just not to good at slowing you down, this will be ungraded to a twin leader. I notice you can buy new hub assemblies from India for less than £100.??

Rear drive was replaced in the 90s and showing no signs of wear.
    Gearbox oil is clean as clean can be, and all the gears work, all be it yards apart.
    Engine starts and runs very well.

Electrics are also in good nick, however a poundland candle would be brighter than the 20w 6v bulb, so need to look into that.

First job was to make a thicker carb spacer as the float bowl is an 1/8" off the front exhaust manifold. Made from Phenolic sheet.

image.jpg

New studs are required, luckily the sump studs are the right length. I’ll be replacing the ones in the sump with 5/16-18x3 1/2" socket head bolts
    image.jpg

Stewart Engineering hold parts and ungrades for these bikes. A sump extension is available at 90ish quid. I picked up a sump for 20quid and the bolts for £9.

911ABD78-BAE0-4430-95B1-B47518B811B4.jpeg

First tine using a ripper mill. Wow they sure remove material fast, and the chips are easier to deal with.

Sump plug hole welded up, machined back. No problems welding it up.
    67B395F4-3383-486F-B49E-BFD8FA111BFB.jpeg

image.jpg

The extension will add 1ltr to the oil capacity to about 5lt. Hopefully aiding cooling.

I’ve a sheet of copper on its way to make a new h/gasket, then I’ll look at engine breathing in detail. So far I’ve made a temporary oil filler breather until I understand whats required.

image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    R-D-R, fixerupper, magnet and 19 others like this.
  2. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

last time i went to bike show at newark there was a sunbeam fitted with a reliant engine just looked like it belonged there
    here's one fitted with a porsche engine

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/22705/lot/222/

this is beetle powered can't find my picture of the reliant engined one must be on the duff hard drive
    [​IMG]

engine parts pic for you
    [​IMG]

3. Shox Dr

Might well have belonged to a guy I know called ‘Wombat’

4. Migmac

Migmac Member

And I thought you were taking things easier!

If your coming down to Kintyre pop in

Parm and stuvy like this.
  5. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

can't find the pic of it dave think it's on a duff hard drive

6. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

What a cool project - love it.

7. chunkolini

chunkolini celebrity artiste

Nice, I have always had a thing about them

ronan likes this.
  8. Shox Dr

Easy...ha. I’m still married, there’ll always be a job to do regardless of wether it needs doing or not:whistle:

Might just do that, We are off to Uig via Skye, haven’t decided where we go first, and I was thinking its been a while since we stooped down past your place at Carskey Bay:thumbup:

Parm, Migmac and stuvy like this.
  9. Gritineye Forum Supporter

Sussex UK
    In case you have too much time on your hand, but still want to go up those Scottish hills a little faster...

Double Sunbeam.jpg

10. p0689109 Member

Now that style is a bike for me. Looks comfortable to drive. What size engine does it have?

11. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

Great looking bike, I always preferred the S7 over the S8, even if it is a BSA built BMW R75 ;)

As @Migmac feel free to call in or if you need access to a workshop :scared:

12. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler

As always (and echoing @Migmac and @Rannsachair) you are very welcome to pop in here on your travels :) So long as you don't mind terriers!

The wife is rather taken with the Sunbeam when I showed her a picture. I'd say she has good taste but then she chose me so.... :dontknow: :D

13. awemawson Forum Supporter

Aged 18 I took my 1954 Sunbeam S8 all round the coast of the Uk girlfriend on pillion. Lost the clutch on Skye - drove clutchless from Skye round Cape Wrath to the Kyle of Tongue (Notch in middle of north coast) where at the Youth Hostel I removed the engine and rebuilt the clutch, Stewarts (who were still at Bective Road Putney then) having sent me the bits. From there we went on to Scrabster to take the ferry to Orkney - not roll on roll off in those days, it was 'load in a cargo net!). A week later on the way back from Orkney with the Sunbeam lashed on the fore deck the waves were so vigorous that the poor machine was totally immersed. Back on dry land g/f was most miffed that my urgent concern was a fresh water hose to get the salt off the bike, not paying sympathetic attention to her seasickness !
    All that was many years ago (mid 1960's) - but as a male menopause event in 1990 I bought another and did a full strip and rebuild to factory finish. That S8 was sold 2007 to help fund eldest daughter wedding !

slim_boy_fat, Parm, zx9 and 4 others like this.
  14. Shox Dr

Its a 500cc line ahead twin, as the were called. Very smooth bike, a pure delight to ride.

@awemawson Respect, did you do as Bealach Na Ba.
    63B3580F-F1CB-4665-8B91-45960EEB23F8.jpeg

I bet the roads were somewhat different to todays. I first traveled over to Applecross in 77, my dad driving a mk1 capri,

p0689109, Parm, stuvy and 1 other person like this.
  15. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

Are you doing any paint work ?

16. Shox Dr

Not at the moment, the last owner painted it in 79’. (I’ve got the receipt).

Tank is crazed, front mudguard has tin worm, but its useable. Might look at buying a reproduction item from India.

What I don't want to do is renovate it too much that I don't want to use it. While its an ‘investment’ it will be my touring/rally bike, so will get used in all weathers throughout the year. Hopefully off to a rally in Ripley end of month, so need to do bits at a time.

Rannsachair, zx9 and stuvy like this.
  17. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

That's why I asked as the tank looks dull nice bike to do though, get it nice and shiny :D

18. Shox Dr

Apart from front m/g and tank the rest is fine. Though I do like the look of the tank, fits in with the used look. If I start to paint stuff, next will be the engine then the wheels, and before you know it, its too shiny to use all yr round and keep on top of keeping it that way. It wouldn’t cost much to paint as its only machine enamel :clapping:

Tank looks like leatherette. Wonder if you could replicate it
    image.jpg

Front guard, there’s a strengthening plate underneath, guess the water gets trapped
    image.jpg

Rannsachair, stuvy and eSCHEn like this.
  19. ronan

ronan Forum Supporter

dublin
    Always loved the sunbeams, they look really comfortable, and were not the usual triumph/bsa/norton/amc over stretched twins. I have a BSA A10 in the shed at the minute, hope to head around the UK seeing all the industrial sights, kempton park engines, beamish museum etc, maybe the year after next on it.

Be a bit careful with Indian spares, anything engine/gearbox/forks is usually shoddily made and not heat treated. There was a guy on one of the forums who bought indian made cams for his bike, and he reckoned they were made of mild steel they wore out so fast. The tin wear is supposed to be ok though.

stuvy and Shox Dr like this.
  20. Shox Dr

There’s videos on ut, sounds lovely. A bit long though

Gritineye likes this.
Advertisements