Stuff you have made today

1. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Was doing some tidying today, places is a real mess but after about 20 wheel barrow loads of scrap and rubbish taken to the skip the rain came on.
    Looked around for something to make a wall bracket for my two new inverters, only thing I had was some 4" x 4" x 1/4" wall box left over from the Plasma Gantry. I sliced some of it into angles and used the R-Tech Mig to weld it up.
    Still have make some sort of hooks on the side for hanging the torches etc but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

• ScreenHunter_344 Oct. 22 17.42.jpg
    • ScreenHunter_346 Oct. 22 17.42.jpg
    • ScreenHunter_347 Oct. 22 17.43.jpg
    Turbo, decca, arther dailey and 4 others like this.
  2. spencer 427 Member

Just shows what can be done with a rainy day and some off cuts...happy days looks cool. :))))

3. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

Coming together, but I need a much stronger spring:
    [​IMG]

spencer 427 likes this.
  4. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

spencer 427 likes this.
  5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

@slim_boy_fat
    That was the plan, but coffee meds and I was alone.
    I need my cuddle jacket.
    I ended up making leaves for them to carry.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  6. Rrunnach

Rrunnach www.interventiontechnolog y.com

Not quite done in a day, more like over a few month. Old automated steel gate past sell by date, also entrance required widening and, inside brick and external sandstone removed at RHS, to give an overall thee metre opening, stonework above, now removed.

New double gates each measure H 2.8 x W 1.5 metre. Frame is 50x50 hollow section, clad with 18 swg sheet, all material is al/al (keeps the weight doon). Finish is power coat, to match external sand stone wall. Small Judas gate to LHD. Wee bit welding required to steel vertical uprights, fixing brackets to tie into internal engineering brick work.

My work is complete, stone mason arrives Monday to finish external stone work. I'm getting to old for this chit!!

• IMG_2268.JPG
    • IMG_2274.JPG
    spencer 427 likes this.
  7. spencer 427 Member

Nice...we are never told for this sht. ...if not this what else would we be doing :)

W.olly likes this.
  8. Rrunnach

Rrunnach www.interventiontechnolog y.com

Gate manu was the easy bit, stone removal was a killer. Sandstone outside, eng brick inside, void filled with random rubble and mortar, total thickness, 500 mm. Massive concrete lintel hidden by top of doors, I had to cut with stihl saw, then kangoo out area saw was unable to reach. At the moment, I don't think there is one bone and muscle in my body, that does not ache. Bit chill time would be good, then again, I'd probably get bored! :whistle:

9. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Accompanied by a couple of these.......:drunk:

[​IMG]

Rrunnach likes this.
  10. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

Today - I 'ave mainly been making a working oven out of a metal cupboard, 4 quid for the new element and a few hours getting to it..

11. steve_s Member

Just knocked up a couple of brackets today any of you who have fitted an ikea kitchen will recognize them brackets (plastic ones break)to hold the fronts on built in fridge\freezer

IMG_1731.jpg

DAPPH, arther dailey and spencer 427 like this.
  12. doubleboost

doubleboost Member

Did you use a spool gun on the mig I am getting one to have a bit play with

13. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Yes, when I first got the R-Tech I used the SGS 360 spool gun I use on the big Esab but then decided to get the smaller one that R-Tech sell so I could see the wire feed readout on the welder.
    I wasn't keen on the straight neck and it seems you can't get swan necks for the wee spool gun so I made an adapter up so that I could fit the Swan neck from the SGS 360. pics here
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/mts-2555s.67030/#post-875259
    If you are just doing mainly bench work then the straight neck will be ok but I do most of my work on fishing boats so a lot of the welding is positional and the swan neck is great for that as you can rotate to get the best position.

14. selectedgrub

selectedgrub Member

A speaker stand mount.

15. rockweasel Member

IMG_20161022_133530.jpg I made a start on tool drawers this weekend. I can hammer together a fence or a shed, but I haven't tried anything that needs to look good up close, so this is all new to me (that's my excuses out the way.)

I thought I'd have a go at making it out of 18mm plywood and learn as I went along.
    Lesson 1: Plywood splinters when you attack it with a circular saw. Google to the rescue and I scored any other cuts to be made with a knife and put masking tape along the edge before cutting it with the saw. Big improvement, but not perfect.

Lesson 2: My marking/cutting skills are not as accurate as my CAD drawing. Fettling required.

Lesson 3: The ply I bought has such a thin veneer than even a light sanding starts to show the layer of glue underneath. This is not the stuff I want to use for future projects.

I thought I'd have a go at using dowels to put it together (another first.)

The end result looks not too bad for a first effort. A couple of the edges aren't quite flush, so I'll have to work out what went wrong there. I'll have plenty of practice cutting and dowelling when I tackle the drawers.

spencer 427 likes this.
  16. Dennis Aspö

Dennis Aspö Member

A saw blade with more teeth will help against splintering, known as a cross cut blade. Also putting something sacrificial under the plywood prevents tearout. Baltic birch plywood is the stuff to get for high quality, though I dunno if I'd use that for shop furniture. Depends on your budget.

17. rockweasel Member

Thanks, I'll try the sacrificial wood on the next piece.

18. A biscuit jointer is a life saver on jobs like these if your budget will stretch to one.
    Perfect joints every time and nice and quick to setup and use.
    I've used an Elu one for years but you can pick up a biscuit jointer for around £50 new.

DAPPH likes this.
  19. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Machine Mart and screwfix did a biscuit cutter to fit into a router.
    Nice but of kit.
    I make my own biscuits from off cuts of thin ply wood.

20. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Also what kind of circular saw are you using. A table saw will stop the splintering as the wood is supported close to where the blade cuts. A hand held saw needs to be adjusted so the blade only just cuts through the material and a fine cut blade is beneficial as well. You can make a biscuit jointer with an angle grinder on instructables

Advertisements