Spot welding upside down

1. His cold ignited....really?

:D

2. wookie Member

the petrol vapours (that he couldn't smell because of his cold) ignited.

I know you were just being daft but I was trying to offer some advice, perhaps I could have written it more clearly but if it stops just one person from lying under a car setting themselves on fire it'll be worth it.

The other piece of advice I'd offer about working under vehicles is to leave a note on the steering wheel saying you're underneath and to make sure you have all the ignition keys locked away, I made that mistake once and when you're under a vehicle and someone starts it up it's brown trousers time and you get out faster than Usain Bolt. I hope you all have a laugh at my expense and then act a little safer in future.

I've worked with people who've chopped fingers off in saws, crushed their feet, one guy had his arm ripped off at the bicep in an accident, so lets all try and get though life in one piece.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. Lighten up fella, just having a bit of fun. It's nearly Christmas.

4. stichill99 Member

Scotland,Borders
    If welding above your head put some ear plugs in aswell as a mate burned a hole in his eardrum and said it was ****ing agony and he is not one known to moan for no reason!

5. Ton-up

Ton-up Member

ALWAYS WEAR EAR PLUGS WHEN WORKING UNDER A CAR!!
    Its just not weld in your ear. I got a piece of rusty metal fall in my ear when changing an exhaust. (I turned my head when I saw bits falling!)
    A trip to hospital the next day saw them suck it out with a hoover type thing. Took about ten attempts. You hear it coming, then pain.
    It was the most pain I have ever felt.

6. amazighman Member

From information i gathered from you guys and other threads out there the right way to weld overhead or upside down is to use the same settings for welding flat, maybe turn up the wire speed a bit.

Somewhere suggested to trim the shroud so it is level with contact tip to avoid spatter build up in the nozzle

I will be welding outside my garage for better ventilation , fire blanket to isolate the tank, then I may put a sheet of kingspan between tank and body to fully keep it from sparks....and also water hose ready.

Thanks guys...

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Don't forget the pics. ;)

8. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    If you're dead set on doing this yourself, i'd clamp some bits of thin scrap to the roof of your garage and get plenty of practice in a comfortable position because trying to weld overhead under a car for the first time isn't going to end well. I have never found having a short shroud a benefit if anything I usually pull the shroud down the neck so the tip is deeper

9. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

If welding to the floor then weld from the top through the floor if possible. Always try and keep it as easy and comfortable as possible.

Welding under the car have the weld area very clean, will weld easier and less splatter. Do not use weld through primer at the weld.
    Keep to the side not directly under the welded area.
    Use an old helmet as it will get splatter on and knocked about. For me the most awkward bit is the helmet.
    Wear thick cotton clothing.
    Earth right next to the job.
    Welding blanket placed over the welded area in the car.
    Make sure you can get out from under the car easily and quickly if you do get a splatter rolling under you etc.

Plug welding upside down is the same as flat pretty much so have your technique and settings all sorted before welding the car. Get it so your welds are nice and flat, crank the welder up a bit to ensure proper penetration and a nice and flat weld that won't require much grinding or any after.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. wookie Member

That is a bloody good idea, once you've got your technique sorted it'll be easier when you lying on your side twisting yourself into a knot to do a weld under a vehicle.

Oh, just thought of another thing, have plenty of light, it's far too easy to be working in the dark under a car, get some really bright floodlights under there so you can see easily with your helmet still down.

Geoffm and outofthefire like this.
  11. amazighman Member

Was going to weld today but damn it is windy and dont think it is a good idea..i ll do more practice runs today

12. amazighman Member

I did some quick shopping and i am back in the garage, welding jacket on and all safety gear in order , i did some runs on a piece of sheet metal upside down, hopefully not too bad for a nub like me.
    Just hard to keep in straight line when i cant see the weld pool clearly, also must keep the shroud clean as it affects the arc
    See second picture for penetration.

3rd pic is for my 2nd run, ignore blow through was just trying to see how long to blow a hole.

• IMG20171224152913.jpg
    • 15141296344612048799296.jpg
    • 15141311568271464990508.jpg
  13. amazighman Member

Oops my Argon Co2 regulator is reading near 0 , i dont know if there is enough gas in the bottle (9ltr) for welding two patches.??

14. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    I know i'm starting to run out when it's getting easier to turn the gas on and usually weld till i'm getting porosity. At the last place I worked a lot of the regulators were knackered and were rarely reliable. Having said that if you're going to start welding under a car it'll be a mare if you do run out half way through.

15. wookie Member

If you think your gonna run out I wouldn't even start welding under a car, it you do run out just think how much fun you will have grinding back the welds to do it again properly.

16. amazighman Member

Finally done the job today, unfortunately i couldn't get very comfortable under the car as i ran out of jacking height.
    But i managed and i am pleased with it....

• IMG20171228144432.jpg
    Burdekin likes this.
  17. Lufbramatt

Lufbramatt Member

Nice job. You might find you have to tweak those holes in the back of the patch or bend the rear section up slightly otherwise the arch liner will never fit right and flap around at speed if you can't get those two fasteners in.

18. MG David Member

Warwick UK
    Welding upside down is why the rotisserie was invented. You can get some that will take the weight of a fully clothed car but people normally strip to a bare shell first. As you didn't want to remove the fuel tank I guess that was out.

19. Lufbramatt

Lufbramatt Member

A rotisserie that will safely support a 1700kg 5-series isn't going to be cheap!

20. amazighman Member

I made the patches a little too long at the back, the holes kinda line up with the others in the top skin.
    I still have to trim the patch with an angle grinder and then paint it with epoxy primer, rust proof the arches and the brake lines .
    Hopefully the arch liners will fit after that if not i may bin the old clips and use some stainless bolt and nut to hold it together as the u clips and self tapping nuts are pretty rusty.
    I ll carry on with it on Monday .
    Thanks everybody

Exuptoy likes this.
Advertisements