Spot welder from microwave transformer

1. Can't see why not. You parallel up outputs on normal transformers. They should be identical transformers and wind the outputs identically and connect them identically.

2. Onoff Member

I've started amassing the bits for a two transformer spot welder. Got two matched trannies from old microwaves. Mate donated some 50mm cable.

First mistake I think I made was cutting thru the welds on the trannie cores to remove the windings. I should have cut the unwanted windings with a hacksaw and knocked them out. I've now to weld the cores back together.

Don't know if it'll work but I've this mad plan to make a traditional spot welder with then pair of flying "jaws" clamp type thing on long welding cables.

3. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark perkele

Don't bother.
    The cores are soft iron, welding them will harden them and reduce the efficiency of them

4. Onoff Member

Bin 'em you reckon and find new ones?

5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

Simply put, yes.

6. Onoff Member

Thread resurrection...the trannie cores were already welded, I cut through the welds. What's the issue re welding them?

7. The_Yellow_Ardvark

They are soft steel. The allow the lecher lines to form. Welding them will harden the metal and reduce the efficiency of the core.

8. Onoff Member

Right. These microwave trannies have the laminations welded in the factory. How does that initial welding not harden it at least locally?

9. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The laminations are a known soft state, the welding is done in a controlled manner. So thy know the effects it will have on the laminations.

DAPPH and Onoff like this.
Advertisements