Spaceframe race car chassis - options

1. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I applied to be on the Sheffield Uni team but it's very hard to get on to, I think they take on something like ten students a year out of the two or three hundred that apply and unfortunately I didn't get it.

2. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Not much more than a autograss car.

3. stuvy

stuvy Member

They build the best rear space frame cars and are the best in the business for it

4. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Pretty sure the trailing arms can be improved

Ruffian likes this.
  5. Ruffian Member

I would say yes they are good and have a following but it's nothing overly special.

Rage buggys are a better all round package.
    If you want to go the whole hog I would look towards the American trophy trucks for a package.

But both of which dont help the OP in whether his project would be better off.

mtt.tr likes this.
  6. carbon

carbon Member

Built these rear suspension arms for a friends autograsss mini sometime ago to replace the ones that didn’t move.

6DFED3D2-DA11-491B-AD05-944CA34246E3.jpeg

migwelded tube

indy4x, slim_boy_fat, galooph and 2 others like this.
  7. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    I'd agree with this, and niether of them are particularly special either way.

Your main issue with building a spaceframe at home is not welding it, nor the materials, it's making sure it all meets the right race regs for what you're competing in (and will still meet future ones when finished, I've seen a few fall down there!) - and having sturdy enough jigs that you can keep it all flat and square when it's pulling around from welding it up, or enough adjustment available in your mountings that you can compensate for it.

Ruffian likes this.
  8. stuvy

stuvy Member

Factor in fully adjustable TCAs and adjustable rose joints for that

As for Z cars being average they tube designs are but they have been at the pointy end of the grid compared to many others that have came, gone and been initiated and subsequently gone yet again

9. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Adjustable TCA's and joints only correct the static geometery, not the dynamic if your mounting points are out.

10. stuvy

stuvy Member

True but if you build a box chsssis without understanding of datum points there more likely to help than YouTube vids and guesswork

11. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England

Its old hat what asphalt race cars use arms. Other than NASCAR no top draw race series use them.

12. stuvy

stuvy Member

So what do top race series use other than oval aerodynamic tube for open wheelers? I’m keen to learn as having got back in to working for a race team that have 9/10 of the cars on the grid

13. PhillipM

PhillipM Member

Rotherham
    Solid arms and shims on the upright and mounting points.

14. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

Working on it Spencer, @fizzy has priced the carriage which is 3x pallet and I am chipping away at the seller. I fancy sinking it flush into the floor.

Bob

fizzy and spencer 427 like this.
  15. Cornwallfrank New Member

Thanks for all the advice, not sure whether I should just have a re think reading some of it! Im off to see the bodywork people soon, Ill let you know where I go from here.

stuvy likes this.
  16. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

I went down to the factory in 1980 to pickup a Phaeton. I was 16, I could gas and stick weld by then, and was horrified at the welds, especially the Macpherson struts I took down to be modified at an additional cost. The welding was that bad I binned them and modified another pair.

In Teeside University Engineering Entrance lobby, there’s a FS car with Dampers I custom built and supplied/sponsored. We supplied around 7 uni’s with dampers. The American version [SAE] is far better, for companies to get involved with.

Tube all the way, you can build stuff silly light. While this is for an aircraft, it can withstand a 6g impact to the front. Note; there’s alot more reinforcement to go in yet will still only weigh 22kgs (Cockpit is mini sized)

9E5F0153-17ED-400C-9571-1368B5C4A395.jpeg

indy4x, Anguz, slim_boy_fat and 5 others like this.
  17. Cornwallfrank New Member

Thanks for all the info, seems the thread has gone off topic and I've possibly opened a can of worms, some people saying give a go, others blinding me with why I shouldn't.

I hope the project gets off the ground, especial thanks for the PM advice.

Frank

18. KemppiFrog Member

Not recent, but built a few space frame specials. The first was with 25 & 20 rhs stick welded. Still raced today after built in '74.. Next was a Porsche 917 look alike with bits of Lotus and a Renault turbo. Again, frame was 25 & 20 rhs.
    Then, last year, I rebuilt a Ginetta G4 space frame, all 1" tube. About 30% replaced.
    The regs sound quite heavy, but no doubt are based on experience? 50mm is pretty heafty for a chassis..

19. CompoSimmonite Member

Have you though of buying an existing, used, spaceframe and modifying that to your needs ? Could save a lot of work

ronan likes this.
  20. ronan

ronan Member

dublin

Have a bash, at least you will learn something along the way.

Advertisements