Soda Blasting

1. Any cheap kits worth buying. What about DIY I have seen a few videos on converting an air gun.

2. Can you Bead Blast and Sand Blast using the same gear?

3. brightspark

brightspark Member

yes are you using a cabinet and a suction gun . if you are you will need to empty the cabinet for the different media if you change

4. No I have no cabinet nor do I have any gear. I am investigating build a DIY setup to do some carbs and disk brakes.

5. Cal Member

Bristol, UK
    Johnny,
    I have had success converting a long nozzle blow gun, file a V into the top of the nozzle, then put a hole through the neck of an empty pop bottle (below the cap and flange) slightly smaller than the nozzle diameter, push through the bottle, get the bottle vertical pointing down over the v and seal, then invert take off the cap, fill with soda, put the gap abck on and you have a gravity fed blast gun for £5.

6. Nick67GT

Nick67GT Member

This is what I did.

Worked a treat!

brightspark likes this.
  7. graffian

graffian Seer unto the end of his beard

I was going to get some soda and try that.

8. Would this work with other media such as glass beads?

9. Cal Member

Bristol, UK
    It works with fine media, ( Soda/fine sand), the bigger you go with the media grain size the less effective it is, I think you will struggle with glass beads.

10. Ok tried two version of a DIY blast gun both FAILED miserably :-(

11. Gragson

Gragson Forum Supporter

Iv'e just now blasted an aluminium mower engine with 200-400 UM glass bead, the block I am doing gloss black but the head is going to be shiney - A medium brass brush should take it back from a dull blasted finish back to shiney, engine lacquer over that and it should stop it oxidising.
    Its worth investing for the price of a small blast box

12. Cal Member

Bristol, UK
    Did you go with the one I have used?
    What went wrong?

13. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

For soda blasting I use a cheapo spotblast gun from Aldi or Lidl. Don't bother with that collection bag thing That it comes with. as I have a reasonable space outside my workshop I just blasted this gearbox out in the open.

Before:

IMG_3086.JPG

After:

IMG_3088.JPG

The bellhousing area wasn't blasted as I am going to machine off that part of the box so it can be mounted up to a different bellhousing. Mycompressor has two water traps in series, didn't seem to suffer any problems with clogging of the soda.

Dcal, slim_boy_fat and JonnyAlpha like this.
  14. I tried the pop bottle method - press the trigger and get some soda out, release the trigger and half the bottle empties out :-(

Very nice - Soda Blasting though - what a mess - where is all the Soda?

15. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

I just keep the gun pointed at whatever I'm cleaning when the trigger is pulled on the gun, then the soda doesn't go very far, certainly didn't need to do any more than sweep up the bulk of the soda off the immediate surroundings. I have done sandblasting outside in the past, now that does cause a proper mess....

16. Cal Member

Bristol, UK

17. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    There is a Soda Blast gun on the Snap On workshop flyer, comes with 3 nozzles and 1kg of soda. £89.95 +vat

18. Old thread I know, but I now have a Clarke Blast Pot and Soda Blasting adaptor.
    Where's the best place to get Soda media for blasting and for that matter any other type of media for other jobs?

I have started a thread on whether to buy / make a cabinet but I may just have a go outside first as Soda is a use once media.

19. Dcal Member

Try farmer co-op or agricultural type of places.
    They sell Soda as a lick for livestock and it's far cheaper than from anywhere else (well it is over here in NI anyway.)

The suppliers of the "proper soda" will say it's crap as it doesn't have the flow enhancers but it does work ok, for soda.
    You need to put it through a sieve and don't keep it in the pot.

Worth a try.

Farside and slim_boy_fat like this.
  20. Stueeee

Stueeee Old git

Advertisements