So much for modern engine diagnostics

1. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Mate's niece bought an audi A1 1.6 diesel. Car was ex mobility and only 9,000 miles on the clock. Bought from a car supermarket place. Ok for the first 18 months then running badly and died. She is paying £300 a month for this on finance.

She took the car to a few independent garages - couldn't find the problem. Then took it to the Audi main dealer. Again couldn't find the fault.

Spent a fortune getting injectors checked over etc. Audi main dealer said the turbo had gone and was full of oil. But that wouldn't prevent it from starting. Poor girl has been without the car for about 9 months now and still paying finance:doh:

Took the car to a mate's garage and he tried everything as well - still no faults found. Compression tests you name it. Finally he took the rocker cover off - no mean feat on these modern cars. Number 3 cylinder - one of the valves stuck down. Head needs to come off now.

I can't believe none of these so called experts spotted it.

stuvy, ronan, Brad93 and 1 other person like this.
  2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Unfortunately they rely on diags rather than having a look these days and change parts to see if it fixed the issue before knowing if there's an issue with the part

I hate modern vehicles.

jimbo84, stuvy, johnik and 8 others like this.
  3. zx9

zx9 Member

No neither can I. How on earth do you do a compression test and not spot that #3 cylinder has a leaking / stuck valve? :doh:

4. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    PCP or HP? If the former then just vt the deal at 51% and hand the lemon back.

delta9, Hopefuldave, Shox Dr and 2 others like this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Audi’s are crap.

My missus has been nothing but trouble and the main dealers just want to rip you off.

stuvy, BarrieJ, hermetic and 4 others like this.
  6. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Audi UK HQ no better

BarrieJ and fizzy like this.
  7. HughF

HughF Member

They are total turd, yep. My 2013 Chevy and my mum's 2014 Dacia have both been excellent. The Chevy does 25k/year without an ounce of bother.

BarrieJ, Mikey D, fizzy and 2 others like this.
  8. DaveB Member

North London
    It is not the vehicle that's at fault, it is the crap training of the technicians.

stuvy, Wany, james butler and 2 others like this.
  9. HughF

HughF Member

That'll be the 'longlife' service interval...

10. HughF

HughF Member

And all the emissions related crap a modern diesel needs. Recipe for disaster

jimbo84, stuvy, premmington and 6 others like this.
  11. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Wouldn't go near an audi load of rubbish.

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

At what point, if not already past, has meeting lower emissions actually halted improvements in economy that would offset emissions anyway.

stuvy, fizzy, Hopefuldave and 2 others like this.
  13. HughF

HughF Member

About the time we increased egr to such levels that required Dpf's, all to bring the nox down.

Would have been easier to just ban diesels years ago.

stuvy, Parm, fizzy and 2 others like this.
  14. eLuSiVeMiTe

Diesels should never have been put in cars.

Ever run a big petrol van. Scary fuel bills.

stuvy, Shedendman and ronan like this.
  15. rtcosic

rtcosic Member

Round about 1975.

Ford and BMC were promoting lean burn spark ignition rather than stoichometric engine and 2/3 way catalyst. Around 25% improvement in fuel economy compared to non catalysed engines of the day and well above 33% over 2/3 way catalysted engines using the technology of the day. (But higher NOX - which current technology addresses).
    But German manufacturers had to add catalysts to meet US specifications so wanted a 'one world' solution to keep their costs down.

Then when CO2 became the name of the game in Europe (but NOT US and Japan) and the French and German manufacturers had invested in high speed diesels to take advantage of the low tax on diesel fuel so guess what they promoted?

I wish I had kept the presentations I made over 25 years ago. In summary they said:

1. Do you care more about urban air quality (NOx and PM10) or small reductions in CO2 emissions? Stop subsidising diesel fuel and people will buy clean petrol engines.
    2. Do care more about small reductions in CO2? Carry on subsidising diesel and everyone will buy diesels but urban air quality will fall off a cliff.

Guess which one HMG went for?

Edit: Ford UK that is. In those days Ford UK and Ford Germany did their own thing let alone integration between Europe and US!

16. Climber

Climber Member

One of my first vans was a big long wheelbase high roof Renault master. That was petrol, and more than a little bit thirsty.

17. james butler

james butler Member

the compression test didnt show up the valve was stuck down?

Hopefuldave, stuvy, Barlidge and 2 others like this.
  18. pondy

pondy Forum Supporter

How did your compression test not sure low or no compression on a cylinder? How is it preventing it starting? If the other cylinders are operational would it not start and just run on 3 or 2 cylinders? (not sure if it's a 3 or 4 cylinder engine)

stuvy and Parm like this.
  19. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Ive scraped two pos

As I said in another thread the Germans have excellent marketing creating a lie that became truth about reliability.
    Diagnostics are very useful trouble is 99.99% of mechanics don’t understand.
    Ie the sensor doesn’t need changing its telling you the value is off but they will change the sensor .
    Or in the ops case they don’t do proper mechanical diagnostics which are your eyes and ears

Hopefuldave, stuvy, Brad93 and 3 others like this.
  20. eLuSiVeMiTe

Last petrol van I had was a Mitsubishi L300
    Great fun. Mid engine rwd coulum shift.
    Went sideways and.stayed there if you wanted. Especially when the roads were wet.
    Learnt a lot from that van.
    Nissan cabstar was really bad on petrol costs.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements