Snapon pro mig 186 poor performance

1. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Ouch!! :o
    You could have got far better for much less money.

2. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

Those would be Bester machines, and you're right, they aren't as smooth as a genuine Cebora (tough as old boots though)
    I had the genuine Yank made stuff in mind as a sensible choice of partner for Snap-On.

3. Jim Davey

Way to rub it in Woz :doh:

4. shane cripps New Member

Haha its alright I've always been an impulse buyer so I'm used to the disappointment now lol it was only the finance that appealed to me as I had a snap on account anyway was just an easier ( or so I thought) option. You live and learn! At least if nothing else my experience may help anyone else considering purchasing a welder through snap on.

5. Maybe best to avoid Snap On entirely now, as prices are high, and quality seems to be getting worse and worse as unit production costs are cut to the bone to increase profits.

6. shane cripps New Member

I would definitely agree with that, quality of tools being produced by other companies at a much lower rates compared to the lack of care snap on seem to have for their customers and the fortunes they charge, it just doesn't seem worth it.

7. mfletch

mfletch Member

8. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

states on it made in P.R.C (peoples republic of china) on top right of data plate

9. Not bought a Snap On tool for 20 years, and dont think I ever will again. Have some Chinese made Halfords tool boxes, which are every bit as the Chinese Snap On ones which cost about 5-6 times as much!

10. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    You bought some new shoddily made Chinese ones? :o
    Bet you could have bought some used pro ones for similar money.

B'dm....tsh.....:D

Jim Davey likes this.
  11. Halfords Chinese tool boxes were used, and quality wise not far from Snap On Chinese boxes at maybe 8-9 times more money. Would think carefully before buying Chinese made welding gear though, and feel that my Hitachi GP2 Tig complete with Tweco cooler for £100 was far better value for money than anything from ROC...............

12. Jim Davey

Halfords boxes aren't a patch on a Snap-On one.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2016
  13. Thing that really surprised me recently was the quality of American Pro stainless boxes, they seem to be better than Snap On, and less that a 1/4 of the price! Maybe American Pro with Snap On badges is just the thing to impress customers, but without spending a fortune?

14. shane cripps New Member

so after moping around and feeling miserable about my useless snap off dealings i have a question, using my welder as a base is there anything that can be done (cheaper than buying a brand new welder) to upgrade/ increase the duty cycle or general performance?

15. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

You state you have had it a year or so, if the 'so' is only a couple of months over a year then you may still have a claim as not lasting for an acceptable period.

I am far from an expert but I do know there is some sort of consumer law that states an item should last for what is deemed as a reasonable life expectancy and the supplier can not use the 'out of warranty' get out, trading standards made me aware of it.

It was a fridge that died at 14 months, so was 2 months out of warranty but well short of what you would expect it to last, one phone call from trading standards and it was repaired FOC 4 days later.

16. shane cripps New Member

nope warranty is long gone now.

well this is what i was thinking, the performance to me just physically doesnt cut it, i would be very surprised if it was working correctly as i dont think snap on would have got away with it the way it is, even with the crap duty cycle the price tag just doesn't fit the performance, its almost light buying 100 cigarette lighters and receiving a box of matches.
    i have welded slightly thicker material than exhaust with it before but it was just obviously under powered.

first things first i think i will buy a heavy duty plug (yeh didnt come with one of those either) just to give it a fighting chance.

haven't been able to look over it recently as i have been moving and its still in the garage at my parents (the joys of an unexpected pregnancy forcing us to rent a property without my own garage :doh:)

wiltshire is a tad out of my area but if i come to my whits end with it and the offer is still available it would be muchly appreciated

17. shane cripps New Member

sorry what i meant by that was when i first came to use it i had already owned it for a year or so, i have now owned it for a while longer than that. it suited my need as i mostly do body work and exhaust repair so haven't had much use for anything else so i just kept on using it but deciding that there is definitely something worng with it i thought i would have a crack at getting to the bottom of it.

Advertisements