Snapon pro mig 186 poor performance

1. shane cripps New Member

Hi there I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a snapon 186 pro which is a cebora unit, I bought it new from my snap on dealer but had no use for it as I was working in a place where I had access to a welder, any way after a year or so of it being a very expensive bench ( still boxed) I decided to get some gas and try it out. Instantly I realised a huge lack of power, I have the welder set on its highest setting and can just about weld exhaust pipe thickness material. Does anyone have any idea what the most likely cause is, does it sound like a faulty diode and what kind of test procedures are there for that? Thanx in advance, Shane.

2. mike 109444

mike 109444 Member

uk Bristol
    Start with basic checks. The ground clamp, check it's copper cable is secure at the clamp end (assuming it is hard wired into the mig and not on a plug). Try with a nice clean piece of steel and clamp in the ground clamp and weld on it there. This will rule out any issue with poor earth on the exhaust. Other areas might be an internal poor connection to either the ground clamp or on the diode pack/plates. Check around the wire feed area as there will be a connection (thick wire) for the welding voltage to feed up the welding torch.
    And welcome BTW :hug:

3. MoreWellie Forum Supporter

How is it plugged in? a poor extension lead could hamper its ability get juice

4. Jim Davey

Jim Davey R H Davey Welding Supplies Ltd

What does the rating plate say the maximum welding output is? Cebora often play a sneaky trick of selecting model numbers that give the impression they corre4spond to amperage. A 186 should be 180 amps right? Wrong, it's more than likely a 130. Should still weld up to 3mm no problem if that is the case, but chances are it's not as powerful as you expect.
    Check the earth, try a different power supply/socket and make sure you are clamping the earth onto good clean metal.
    If all that doesn't work you need to start looking at testing the rectifier, the transformer and the step switch.

5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Has it only a 12 month warranty? I thought Snap On with all their claims of quality would have a longer warranty period than standard, perhaps 24 months?

6. Jim Davey

Not on 3rd party produced electricals, but its worth having a chat to the dealer.

7. Jim Davey

Ah, you are assuming the set allows a wire feed speed that will let you achieve those currents.

8. shane cripps New Member

20160914_185053.jpg 20160914_185048.jpg thanx for the replies people, the welder itself boasts good output, I have been using it for a little while still as it does do a weld just about which is fine for my kind of work so it's nothing to do with the materials I'm welding as I have worked with new metal and old aswell small repairs on stainless, I will have a check in the earth but I am fairly sure it has a good connection. Unfortunately snap on don't like to tell you that lifetime guarantee only applies to hand tools anything else that is likely to go wrong only has a years warranty and my dealer is useless, I had a battery go down on my £600 torque gun and was told it was probly just cus it was cold so leave it with him n he will stick it in a warm place and then he buggered off n never came back so a new dealer came a round and by then it was out of warranty and I couldn't prove he had it

9. shane cripps New Member

I have it plugged in an extension lead in my garage but I have had it plugged in a socket that ran straight off a single phase in a workshop and it still under performed

10. mfletch

mfletch Member

Is the knob on right indicating power 6 have you tried all the settings 1-6

11. shane cripps New Member

Yeh that's the power control, it welds on all selections, it's hard to say whether it has any effect going up or down because the power is so low I can't really tell if it gets lower or just remains crap through all settings. I will have to do a couple of test welds on each setting just to see if it's changing anything or not

12. octo0072000

octo0072000 Member

you want to remove all the oils and rubbish off the top of it or at least make up a plywood shelf for it to keep the oil etc off it, electrics and oil dont mix well

13. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    Put a voltmeter between the contact tip and return clamp and note the reading on all settings when you press the trigger.

14. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

During a sit around drinking coffee crack with mates I was told Snap On and Cebora fell out over Snap On trying to reduce component quality to keep pricing low (for them), Snap On then bought in direct from China.

Could be a load of rubbish as most coffee chats are but would perhaps explain things.

pdg likes this.
  15. shane cripps New Member

Might keep the price down for them but definitely didn't for me, was one of there more expensive ones that I was happy to pay for cus I wanted something that would do most tasks. I have only been told it's a cebora by a supplier that I contacted ages ago to get information about it so it's anyone's guess. I could have bought a hobby welder for a quarter the price and get better results

16. Jim Davey

That's not a Cebora as far as I know.
    I think it's a Chinese sub brand Cebora were buying in for their budget range.
    The genuine Ceboras were often given misleading model numbers and casing sizes totally at odds with their actual outputs.
    Naughty indeed.

17. shane cripps New Member

It still cost me the best part of £700 and more by the time I finished paying the finance off, I understand keeping costs down but at that price I would expect a hell of alot more performance, it doesn't even compare to something as cheap as a sealy 190 which is half the price

18. Jim Davey

I always thought a tie in with Lincoln (it's even the right colour) or Miller would make more sense.

19. I would guess most Snap On tools are produced in ROC now, and in the case of welders you are probably buying exactly the same thing that would be available with a different sticker for maybe 50% less money?

20. Snap On at one stage did sell stickered budget Lincoln Mig sets, made in Poland and not comparable to Cebora's I have tried, which seemed far nicer.

Advertisements